Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2011, 01:08   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hiring a driver (temporarily) for a long drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Dude! Looking at most of your replies, I'd suggest you get the driver.

But try to get most of the driving. Given your experience when it comes to driving and your family's reluctance to let you drive alone, it would be best both they and you are assured that you would be travelling safe and with company. Peace of mind is paramount during such trips.

You could hire a driver but let him enjoy the co-pilot's seat. If at all you are fatigued out, he can take over.

Let some time pass, gain some confidence and then you wouldn't even be posting this question on T-BHP.

Driving on the highway all alone sure sounds exciting and fun but the fact remains that not everyone can do it. You'll get there
While I'm pretty certain I can do it, your post makes me think why do I want to do it - I guess I'll have to ponder that a little.

Anyway, let's get back to the topic - let us say for whatever reasons some guy wants to take a driver for a long drive (may be he doesn't drive, may be he doesn't want to drive ...)

What are the things he must do - can you answer the questions in post #1 now?
Old 21st June 2011, 06:32   #62
Senior - BHPian

Precautions to be taken when you are taking a driver, if he is not known to you.

1. Photograph of the driver
2. Drivers Driving License Xerox or scanned copy
3. Any other proof of his address, and identity
4. Car Insurance
5. Car RC Book

Make a soft copy of these and store it at home (Just so if it gets lost/stolen/destroyed) you still have backup, send a copy to your wife as well (I am thinking extreme here)

BTW, did you find any t-bhpians driving on this sector around those dates, if dates and times work out maybe driving along with them is a good option which (if i was you) i would explore.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 21st June 2011 at 06:36.
Old 21st June 2011, 08:44   #63
BHPian

First and foremost the temp HAS to be a person referred by someone you have known for a while i.e. someone who has a "jamaanti". I do not know if you are aware of this word - jamaanti, we punjabis use it a lot. It means someone who is there to give you an assurance that the temp you are hiring is a reliable person. Then you take other precautions such as copies of ID proofs, Driving License.
Old 21st June 2011, 08:48   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina;2398875[*
Any other advice...[/list]
Don't listen to your wife.

As far as I am concerned, most people who don't have any idea about driving give the most advice. How will you manage the distance, traffic blah blah blah.

This is something only a driver can decide. If you are mature and understand your vehicle there is NOTHING stopping you from driving these 750 kms.

You are sitting inside a cage, bikers do way more in a day without any issues.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 09:26   #65
BHPian

@Vina - As this is the first long drive for you and will be driving alone, its better to get somebody with you. But hiring a driver whom you dont know or dont have any feedback about his driving style or skill, it will be a bit risky.
If you are not getting any of your friends or good driver to whom you know personally or have the feedback from first hand, I will suggest you drive alone. Take breaks whenever you feel you need some.

Last x-mas I did a 850 KM in a day (BLR-PUNE) and prior to that I never drove more than 450 KM in a day. I had to think a lot on this and lastly I posted a query in TBHP asking will it be possible or not. The responses gave me a confidence "yes I can do it" and I did it. Never think you have to reach your destination by this time while driving! Just enjoy the road and the drive. In one of the response I was, you have planned properly for a break in BLR in your friend's house. So dont think there will be any problem.

Regarding wife's Advice - God has given us two ears. One for the IN and other for OUT!!! (This is what I have learnt after I got married! ) No offence please, just kiddin!!
Old 21st June 2011, 10:33   #66
BHPian

Well. My 2 paise:
You seem to have thought out quite a lot of options. Seeing your other posts you seem to be a careful driver although a little new to driving four wheelers.

My opinion is that you should drive yourself, but take precautions. For example, rule out night driving (most accidents happen at night). Have all the phone numbers handy. Make sure you have seat belt on all times and things like that. Make sure you have ample amount of time. Never have time goals to meet - which in turn may make you to drive faster. Highway gurus would advice you that going a tad slower (70 - 80kmph instead of 100+) would do wonders of reducing chances of accident. Just be in your confort zone. Hyderabad - Bangalore highway is really good, and most stretches are toll ways. That means really good road. Just dont get carried away and go a tad slower - and you should be just fine.

I am sure your wife is concerned for all the right reasons, but then, you seem to be confident (almost), so it is a good idea to just do it yourself. Just don't push yourself at ANY point.

My 2 cents! Although it does seem to be advicing differently from most other posts.
Old 21st June 2011, 11:43   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Don't listen to your wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by musafir_blr View Post
Regarding wife's Advice - God has given us two ears. One for the IN and other for OUT!!! (This is what I have learnt after I got married! ) No offence please, just kiddin!!
You guys are going to get vina in trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
While I'm pretty certain I can do it, your post makes me think why do I want to do it - I guess I'll have to ponder that a little.
I think this is the first question you need to answer. 750 kms is pretty much doable if you follow the tips already given by our fellow bhpians here. But do you want to drive solo because:
a. other bhpians/ friends do it regularly
b. you want to increase the mileage you have put on the thread. How many kms have you driven non stop?
c. you want to test your endurance limits
d. you want to enjoy the drive
e. your wife is saying you shouldnt do it based on advice from your mother in law?! (usually I get stubborn about doing things that the MIL advices against)

If your answer is option d, you may want to drive out for around 150kms and return the same day. See if you enjoy that and then think about the next course of action.

For the 750km drive my recommendation would be to either get a friend along so you can share driving duties or to take a mid route stop. So you could leave in the afternoon, drive around 400 kms till you stop for the night. Early next morning, you cover the remaining distance and arrive in time for lunch.
Drive steady & safe, have fun and take lots of pics (not while driving of course!)

Edit: Oh by the way, if you want something done your way the most important tool you can use is striking pre emptively. So in this case, it would have helped if you would have sown some horror stories a couple of weeks ago about hired drivers driving rash or damaging the car (or something less sinister). This should be mentioned only a couple of times max and as part of a general discussion. This will help you avoid some pitfalls later, admittedly not much use this time.
I hope I dont sound evil, though now I am beginning to feel the two horns sprout out from behind my ears!

Last edited by selfdrive : 21st June 2011 at 11:51.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 12:11   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's the thing: I learnt driving cars recently and regular driving experience is limited to all of 1.5 months
Am a late latif to the 4 wheeled breed myself and most of my driving has been from my own car i bought last year. From January, I've done 9000 kms, mostly on highways including night highway rides and a trip to Munnar.

Quote:
my car has proof of that on its bumpers
Most cars Ive seen have dents, nicks, scratches of some kind, so its not a stopping factor. Mine had a big body work on the passenger side in Feb during one of our highway trips. But that doesnt stop us from highway rides

Quote:
However my wife at this point of time has convinced my father, father-in-law, sister (she has been driving over 3k km every month) ...I don't want to lie, not for this anyway. But you guys are helping because I can still send her the link to this thread.
Unless you do it, neither you or her arent going to have the confidence that you can drive it !! Mine was saying 300 km/day is a big deal, now she's accompanied me in 3-4 600+ km drives

If you arent confident of your driving, better take a bus or train. But never ever let a driver drive your car !!
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 12:23   #69
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
If you arent confident of your driving, better take a bus or train. But never ever let a driver drive your car !!
Totally. I for one am very wary giving my car to a driver, even valet parking attendants !
@vina - as others have said here, there's got to be a first time.
Lot of folks here have encouraged you and I'd do the same. Also, since you plan to stay overnight at Bangalore you should be fine doing this trip.
However, make sure you have good company since this is your first long drive. I remember a totally unplanned long drive (in fact my first one without a co-driver) in the US from Washington DC to New York city due to an emergency situation and for company I had a friend who did not drive but chatted away and made sure I didn't doze off at the wheel !

Last edited by NPV : 21st June 2011 at 12:26.
Old 14th July 2011, 07:48   #70
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I spent 15min searching but could not get the information - moderators, if you find a thread where this information is already present, please merge my post there.

Here's the problem:

I'm planning to do a Hyderabad-Mysore on the first weekend of July, and since I'm living alone right now (wife is in Mysore) and this is my first trip, wife is insisting that I hire a driver to accompany me, even if I choose to drive myself.
@vina - did you do this trip with / without a driver ? Would be interesting to hear what you decided and why, the experience of driving alone, etc. Did not hear from you after the thread was merged/moved so wondering what happened.
Old 14th July 2011, 11:14   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
@vina - did you do this trip with / without a driver ? Would be interesting to hear what you decided and why, the experience of driving alone, etc. Did not hear from you after the thread was merged/moved so wondering what happened.

you didn't hear because wife prevailed - I couldn't find a driver and my friend cancelled on me one day before the trip.

Anyway, going wouldn't have been smooth, Telangana agitation started in the middle of the planned trip - I wouldn't want to be in Rayalseema with Hyderabad plates (and no knowledge of Telugu language) - at the very least I can be harassed.

The plan now is to do a few rides around Hyderabad (Warangal, Nagarajun Sagar etc.) with my wife next month - and then do HYD-Mysore.
Old 12th April 2012, 19:01   #72
Senior - BHPian

How do you train your chauffeur?

Chauffeur !!!

A word which is rarely used in Team-BHP. Since most of us are enthusiasts, we dread to even think about anyone else driving our cars. Many of us are self drivers, maybe most of us. But we have to accept that many BHPians do have a chauffeur. Maybe for their second car or for their wives car or maybe for their 'family' car.

Finding a good driver is a pain. But since, this is Team-BHP, let us concentrate on the driving skills and car care skills of our chauffeurs. I know many of us, including your's truly, is very finicky about good driving as well as maintaining our rides in pristine condition.

I rarely allow anyone else to touch my Punto. But our Innova is always driven by our chauffeur. We had a very very good guy before but unfortunately, he is not with us anymore. The new chap is kind of okay. He is careful while driving, observes lane discipline & drives at a decent speed always. BUT (!!), he cares a zilch about maintaining the car... I dont even know when was the last time he opened the bonnet to see what's lying inside! I am not too sure that he knows how to change a flat tire. Also, he is not too confident in thick traffic. Most importantly, he just drives the car for his living, he has no love or passion for any car, unlike my previous chauffeur.

What did I do to train him -

1) He used to hold the car on half clutch on slopes and in traffic. I explained him the cons of that & regularly advised him to avoid doing that.

2) I remind him to press the clutch while starting the car, but he always forgets!

3) He never switches OFF the AC fan while turning OFF the car. I always have to remind him to do that.

4) He does not avoid potholes, always always crashes into it. Also, on little rough surfaces, he does not slow down the car enough. This abuse has led to some rattling in my car. I dont know how to make him understand about this.

5) When he drives the car, it is never a smooth ride. What I mean is, his braking and acceleration is not smooth. I dont know how to improve that.

6) Most importantly, I want to inject some passion in him, for cars. So that he takes care of our car. I am clueless about that.

So how do you train your chauffeurs?
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 19:13   #73
BHPian

Re: How do you train your chauffeur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

1) He used to hold the car on half clutch on slopes and in traffic. I explained him the cons of that & regularly advised him to avoid doing that.

2) I remind him to press the clutch while starting the car, but he always forgets!

3) He never switches OFF the AC fan while turning OFF the car. I always have to remind him to do that.

4) He does not avoid potholes, always always crashes into it. Also, on little rough surfaces, he does not slow down the car enough. This abuse has led to some rattling in my car. I dont know how to make him understand about this.

5) When he drives the car, it is never a smooth ride. What I mean is, his braking and acceleration is not smooth. I dont know how to improve that.

6) Most importantly, I want to inject some passion in him, for cars. So that he takes care of our car. I am clueless about that.

1. Explain him that the clutch is a on-off switch. It helps.

2. Unless the car is in gear, there really isn't an advantage of holding the clutch.

3. Switching off the ac with the car isn't as important as having the ac off when you start the car.

4. No known solution.

5. If he can't control his pedals, find a new driver.

6. Don't inject passion (lol), its his job to take care of your car.
fre2bpowerless is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 19:18   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fre2bpowerless View Post
1. Explain him that the clutch is a on-off switch. It helps.
I have gone to the extent of explaining him the functioning of a clutch and how he can burn the clutch.

Quote:
2. Unless the car is in gear, there really isn't an advantage of holding the clutch.
The gearbox is disengaged when you press the clutch, which means lesser load on the starter motor.
Old 12th April 2012, 19:41   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Raj, if I was in your place, I would seat him in the co-drivers seat and give a live demo (by driving myself) with all relevant explanations. That is the best action in this case. If he still continues with his antics without any improvement - then it signifies he is a MORON !

Spike

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks