Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2021, 08:35   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Vehicles owned by disabled to be exempt from toll charges

Update:Vehicles owned by disabled to be exempt from toll charges

Quote:
Till now only the vehicles especially designed for the use by such persons were exempted from paying toll tax in India. This was limited to only for the vehicles modified for the use by a PwD and such vehicles were defined as “invalid carriage” in the Central Motor Vehicle Act.
Quote:
Now all vehicles owned by the “divyangjan” (persons with disabilities) will be allowed for free ride across NH network. Such persons will need to get a “zero transaction” or free FASTag for their vehicles from the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI). The road transport and highways ministry has notified this provision to exempt such vehicles from paying toll charges in the NH Fee Rules.
https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...arges/80150927
Mr.Boss is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 05:01   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Vehicles owned by disabled to be exempt from toll charges

Vehicles owned by disabled to be exempt from toll charges - Post moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 08:16   #3
Team-BHP Support

I hate to think how this will be misused terribly. Years ago (mid 80's), a distant uncle (who was the CEO of a major FMCG multinational) of mine imported the 2nd gen Jetta into India at a 30% duty under the handicapped scheme. He had a polio afflicted leg. Only mod was a lever mechanism to operate the clutch by hand which could have been added to any Indian car.

He never drove, never had to, as he had a chauffeured W123 Mercedes 300D. The Jetta was for his son, that clutch activating mechanism was removed.

I digress. - I can understand why disabled require special parking privileges etc for mobility reasons, but once you are in an operating a vehicle, one is equal and uses the road as much as an equally abled person.

Last edited by ajmat : 9th January 2021 at 10:01.
ajmat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 08:34   #4
BHPian

^^+1 to the above.
Reminds me of the '90's when Zen was launched with a 3 speed automatic, was only available for disabled persons, it had a wheelchair sticker on the boot glass.

I know of atleast 2/3 abled persons, buying this with fake papers.
Vinod_nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 09:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I can understand why disabled require special parking privileges etc for mobility reasons, but once you are in an operating a vehicle, one is equal and uses the road as much as an equally abled person.
+1
Over the years, I have cracked the mystery. Think preferential instead of equality and everything starts making sense in our country.

Instead of such nonsense, I would rather we implement real measures which can make life easier for the disabled. e.g. Ramps, parking spaces, toilets.
RedTerrano is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks