Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2021, 23:06   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK View Post
Seems like we all had been at a receiving end in one way or the other cos of these unwritten rules ,like a fellow rightly pointed out about the decibel meter for sound. And cops take undue advantages of this fact. The worst part is that we accept it as a passe and move on.
But I have decided not to take the things so lightly this time. So I shot a mail to DSP and cc to DGP Chandigarh about the incidence. And best part is that these senior officers have marked an inquiry for the area SHO as well. Now it may sound stupid or waste of time for escalating a trivial issue but I am thinking otherwise. I shall keep you posted as the matter unfolds.
Please make sure you somehow record your future conversations with them. I once called 100 on the Chandigarh cops themselves because I wanted to report for the way they were making checks at a nakabandi on the Kiran Cinema lights. They sent an officer who on reaching the spot, threatened to shoot me and disappear my body because according to him I made the call for a trivial matter and caused disturbance in his sleep. And then he continued to detain me till I called up my BiL who was an inspector with the food department to take me away. I hope the people who get in touch with you are more respectable and not the thugs they actually are.
rdst_1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 20:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cop thinks my Octavia's OEM horn is an after-market one, tries to fine me

Quote:
My apprehension is if these cops are really not aware of the company fitted equipment or they just harass the public to make extra money
They are aware of everything. It's exactly how they make money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Lets not give them ideas for nonsense extortion from common folks.
You are doing them a great disservice. The inventiveness and ideation for such purposes is an essential requirement of the role.
v1p3r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 20:12   #18
BHPian

Chandigarh cops are the most hyper aggressive types I have seen in the entire country. Always trying to make a quick buck and trying to exploit grey areas or corner cases in law to their advantage. Long time back when my brother was studying in Chandigarh he and his friend were driving around in a brand new Suzuki Fiero. They were randomly stopped and checked. The cop checked all documents, head lights, break lights, indicators and what not. He could not find anything to write a challan. So he asked money for sweets since it was a brand new bike.

Last edited by JediKnight : 28th January 2021 at 20:13.
JediKnight is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 20:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I want to share my experience with traffic cops in Chandigarh today.
Just out of curiosity does you car carry a 'CH' number plate. My guess is that your car is not registered in Chandigarh. The cops here are known for predominantly stopping vehicles from out of town.
Peaky_blinder is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 20:40   #20
MDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Chandigarh cops are the most hyper aggressive types I have seen in the entire country. Always trying to make a quick buck and trying to exploit grey areas or corner cases in law to their advantage. Long time back when my brother was studying in Chandigarh he and his friend were driving around in a brand new Suzuki Fiero. They were randomly stopped and checked. The cop checked all documents, head lights, break lights, indicators and what not. He could not find anything to write a challan. So he asked money for sweets since it was a brand new bike.
Asking for money just like that... this is absurd. I mean now it sounds funny but I can understand what would have been their level of stress for no fault.
In future if something happens of this sort, don’t take it lightly and give them right back in the language they best understand. These cops are answerable for their actions. Just don’t be rude, accept their verdict at that point of time and then report it to higher authorities.
In my case, I got a call from the DSP(traffic) office and they have asked for the validation of my mail, identified the officers on duty at that point of time(even though I didn’t remember their names) from the beat box and summoned them to appear in the DSP office and explain their action in writing. As a matter of fact, the officer who is following up my case in the respective office told me that there is a provision of following a legal suite for mental harassment just in case I want to take any further action. But I felt otherwise and closed the case with folded hands.
MDK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 21:26   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaky_blinder View Post
Just out of curiosity does you car carry a 'CH' number plate. My guess is that your car is not registered in Chandigarh. The cops here are known for predominantly stopping vehicles from out of town.
i know that since I travel a lot from Delhi to Shimla and usually stop around Chandigarh for old memories. I have UP, Delhi and HP registration plates and I am always prepared for the harassment. Even UP cops are better than Punjab/Chandigarh ones and thats a big statement.

Post first time, I just ask them to file challan and won't negotiate whatsoever on anything and everything. Helps though that my family is filled with lawyers in Delhi and Chandigarh and happy to take over these trivial things.
sunnsood is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 22:42   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Sorry to hear your experience MDK. I agree with one of the comments above - our policemen do have special senses that exceed (at least in their minds) all the scientific tools available for a layman.

Recent experience with fines in a COVID world has been really ironic. On one hand, the government is printing money like there is no tomorrow. On the other hand, cops are levying fines left-right and centre to put the money back in government coffers as if all hell has broken loose. It’s a crazy world!

Full disclaimer: Yours truly was challaned few months back for not wearing a mask while driving with wife as the co-passenger.
This is so true especially in Bangalore. I see these So called BBMP marshals standing in places where we would expect them the least (small gullies) as well as right in the middle of a major traffic junction and taking money from people who are not wearing masks. If the government's intent is to protect people, they can certainly give along a mask as well as they are issuing a challan for it as proof. Sadly, it works the opposite way.

On a serious note: please avoid escalating any issue with the cops even if the fault is on their side, because it's not worth the time and peace of mind you lose. I've been a victim of paying to a cop for mo mistake of mine as he came on to my car to stop for a routine check. By the time I could stop the car, my left tyre went over his leg and all drama happened. I mean, why would I dodge him, I was ready to stop anyway

These govt guys are just finding new ways to extort money from the tax paying public. Looking at the fuel prices, that's another debate altogether

Last edited by jithin23 : 28th January 2021 at 22:44.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 22:58   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I want to share my experience with traffic cops in Chandigarh today.
The issue is that even if you rattle the cops, they can get transferred within Chandigarh only and that's not a big discomfort if you ask me.

A colleague who used to have a HR 03 (Panchkula) number plate used to start recording the video of such "najaiz" interaction with the cops. Needless to say he never paid any fine.
Old 28th January 2021, 23:01   #24
BHPian

Here in Chennai and throughout Tamilnadu, the must have accessory for any politician's vehicle is 4 horns.

Attaching a few sample pics of the cars used by number 1,2 & 3 of the state - CM, Dy CM & Head of Opposition.

Ironically, the picture of the CM is him personally removing the beacon light from his car at the state Secretariat back in 2017, a day after the Union cabinet decided to do away with the VIP culture.
Attached Thumbnails
Cop thinks my Octavia's OEM horn is an after-market one, tries to fine me-1.jpeg  

Cop thinks my Octavia's OEM horn is an after-market one, tries to fine me-2.jpg  

Cop thinks my Octavia's OEM horn is an after-market one, tries to fine me-3.jpg  

rubicon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 23:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Guys, please delete this thread!

Lets not give them ideas for nonsense extortion from common folks.
On the contrary, it has given many solutions like these:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Happened to me 15+ years ago. I asked them to accompany me to the OEM's service center and they immediately let me go.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 23:50   #26

This reminded me of an incident around 10 years back. This happened near the NAL signal in Bangalore. As you take a right turn towards wind tunnel road, cops ware usually stationed there waiting to stop and check on vehicles.

That day I was stopped on my Activa by couple of cops (inspector amd a constable)and duly was asked all my papers. While, waiting for them to verify my papers, I witnessed a Reva being stopped and asked for all documents. Once the cop realized everything was In order with me he moved his attention to the gentleman in Reva.

I am not sure if it was some kind of desperation or plain ignorance(I believe it to be the latter), the inspector after looking at his papers looked up and asked him for his pollution certificate!

I couldn't believe my ears

The Reva gentleman initially with all earnesty said they don't issue pollution certificates for electric cars. But his explanation was quashed and the policeman demanded it again. That gentleman in not so gentle terms shouted back "are you an idiot?"

The constable standing next to me asked me to leave immediately. I drove to my office giggling all the way

I still wonder what happened after I left.
Sineman is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 07:40   #27
BHPian

Last month while driving from Bangalore to Coonoor, I was stopped by cops on Mysore bypass (DL regn).
Once they realised that all my documents were in order, they fined me for not having a proper mask. I was using a handkerchief for the purpose.
I did not argue and paid the fine.
I thought if Modiji can use a gamchha, why can't I use a handkerchief.
anoop_lamba is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 08:29   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaky_blinder View Post
I lived in Mohali (next to Chandigarh) from 2011 to 2015. Back then I had HH Hunk with PB17 registration. Those BHPians who are from Punjab must be thinking from which region does PB17 belong to. It is so unheard of, even today. Well, cops too were clueless about it and they kept on stopping me every other day. Due to this reason, I had kept everything in order, all papers, stock looks, no modification at all. But still I must have been stopped by cops a few hundred times.

Usually they stopped because of curiosity but sometimes they did try to pull a fast one.

I remember once I was cruising in leftmost lane calmly with my girlfriend and out came Chandigarh cops will all sirens blaring. While it was a routine for me, it surely was terrifying for her to be stopped in the middle of the road like that. I showed all papers, both of us have helmets, so cops took some time to find fault. Well, one of them comes to me and says your license is invalid. Well, I was surprised to hear it and asked what's invalid in it since it is valid till 2035. He says, your licence does not have the required format as per Chandigarh traffic rules and must be seized. My license was paper copy one while Chandigarh RTO used to issue smart card. I understood immediately that their argument is not valid and they are again trying to pull a fast one. So, I asked him to issue me a challan, if required with details of my license mentioned as invalid. Well, the cop was surprised and went back to his seniors. After about 3-4 minutes, he comes back and hands me over the licence and asks to check with PB17 RTO if they could issue a smart card license.

Last edited by sarav100 : 29th January 2021 at 08:32. Reason: Typos correction
sarav100 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 10:48   #29
BHPian

Quote:
I want to share my experience with traffic cops in Chandigarh today. It all happened in the morning when I was signaled by a couple of cops to stop my Octavia and asked to show my driving license. Initially I thought that it was a routine checking as a traffic awareness week had been in progress. But to my utter surprise the cops asked me to blow the horn of my car. Then one of them asked me to open the bonnet of my car and step outside. He then blew my car's horn in front of his senior colleague and said that this was a pressure horn and he would issue a challan ticket for the traffic violation of after-market fitted pressure horn. I had a harrowing time convincing him that I have not fiddled with the car's equipment at all and that was an original horn as it comes fitted by the company. I showed him my car's registration certificate trying to convince that the car is still under warranty and any such fitment would render it useless. But they did not pay a heed to my repeated pleading. Finally it was some intervention by a senior officer(whom I called up and happens to be my friend) that these dutiful cops let me go and that too with a suggestion that I should change my horn as early as possible.

Is your car a CH registered car or is it registered elsewhere?

Most Chandi cops will pull up a non-CH car and try to challan him/her for something. Could be docs, could be high beam, could be pressure horn, you get my point. All of this is obviously by the book but who is to say that you were actually on say high beam or in your case actually using a pressure horn?

Due to CoVID, the Chandigarh Police's biggest cash cow, the drunk driving naaka, is not being set up due to hygiene issues. So the whole department has taken to challaning people for other offences with a vengeance. Their favourite offence is not having masks on in the car when the car has more than one person inside it. The fact that the other person could be your wife who you live with is lost on them.

All in all I think its a good thing that the cops are so stringent but I would like to see some method behind the madness of the Chandigarh Police.
Old 29th January 2021, 11:40   #30
BHPian

Having studied (PU-Sec 14) in Chandigarh, this post kind of feel nostalgic. So many incidences where cops were trying to pull a fast one. So I am sharing one which is meant mostly for laughs:

A first year guy was caught on his bike right outside the university gate and it was his first brush with Chandigarh police. Cops found an excuse to ask him money but they used the local slang "Chai paani ka intzaam toh kar de". Poor chap took it literally and started walking. Policemen asked where are you going? His response was "sir going to nearest tea shop to get tea and snacks for you".

I don't know if I have been able to translate this incidence properly but this gives me good laugh whenever I think of it.
Mountainman21 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed