Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2021, 09:00   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: The 80 & 120 kmph speed alert system | Brands that implemented it poorly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
My guess is that whatever CBU products are imported in that 2500 per year quota that does not require homologation, will not have this.
All other CBUs imported but outside that quota still require homologation, and they will need these alarms.
You are correct. Newer AMG’s don’t have but for some reasons, BMW continue to get their CBU cars homologated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Thanks. Is it with a long term strategy from BMW that (if and) when they move to CKD kits for the erstwhile CBU vehicles, they can avoid more intensive homologation? For example, if they import the first batch(es) of M340i and then CKD them later?
I don’t understand their logic, maybe it makes sense where they have a visibility to localise, say like they did on X7 but I don’t think they will ever get numbers to assemble an M5 or an M-X5. So why they spend the money on this is a Question? Will try to find though

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th January 2021 at 09:14.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 09:08   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I have absolutely no issues with speed warning in my Hyundai, since I have turned it off. Hope you can do that as well.
Hi CleverMax,

Its interesting to know that you've turned off the speed warning on your Hyundai.
Can you please share with us how to do it?
We have two Hyundai cars at home. Highway rides gets really annoying due to these warnings.

Thanks
bpapache is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 09:09   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
You are correct. Newer AMG’s don’t have but for some reasons, BMW continue to get their CBU cars homologated.
Thanks. Is it with a long term strategy from BMW that (if and) when they move to CKD kits for the erstwhile CBU vehicles, they can avoid more intensive homologation? For example, if they import the first batch(es) of M340i and then CKD them later?
Old 27th January 2021, 10:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

This is very interesting. The XUV300's warning at 80 kmph is subtle. So subtle, you hardly pay attention to it. Coming to the 120 kmph chime, I have not tested the car beyond 100 kmph. Although it may be irritating to have a warning system very loud, I think they have thought about it in this way. What's India's max speed limit on roads anyway? I have hardly heard of any roads beyond 100 kmph (while there maybe one stretch or two).
I don't think BMW will take feedback here too. My opinion, I may be wrong.

Last edited by Raghu M : 27th January 2021 at 10:35. Reason: Grammar
Old 27th January 2021, 10:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I have absolutely no issues with speed warning in my Hyundai, since I have turned it off. Hope you can do that as well.
Tell me more please. I have been going absolutely mad with the gong when I take my Venue on the highways. Like @GTO said, the 70-90kph sweet spot is a lot irritating now with the gong. I spoke with Code6, and they did not figure it out yet on how to remove this for Hyundai’s. Any other ways ?
Old 27th January 2021, 10:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- BMW's 120 kmph warning goes on continuously, and is loud enough to give you a headache. Worst still, at 120 kmph, the music volume remains permanently lowered !

BMW, please learn from your luxury car competitors or even mass market brands. Remember, the objective is to warn, not frustrate. Enthusiasts who own a current-gen BMW might get these alerts removed from a tuner. But the other 99% of BMW owners are going to have to live with this terribly frustrating behaviour.
I don't find the 80 kmph warning that unbearable but the 120 kmph one is the worst. On highways (where I can) I turn on cruise control at 119 kmph. For the times when I need to go bonkers, it lasts a few minutes at best, thanks to the continuous chime

I need to find someone to turn that off on my 330i - have just been too lazy.
animeshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 11:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
Tell me more please. I have been going absolutely mad with the gong when I take my Venue on the highways. Like @GTO said, the 70-90kph sweet spot is a lot irritating now with the gong. I spoke with Code6, and they did not figure it out yet on how to remove this for Hyundai’s. Any other ways ?
Not sure if this still applies to newer versions of the infotainment system, but I vaguely remember that this (Speed limit checkbox) is something which I had kept disabled days after buying the car 3 years ago. My car never gives me any speed warning now. I had taken it to speeds like 160kmph on safe & empty stretches of an open highway, no speed warnings were issued at all.

The 80 & 120 kmph speed alert system | Brands that implemented it poorly-img20210125224006.jpg
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 11:48   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure if this still applies to newer versions of the infotainment system, ...
Unfortunately, the speed limit warnings are now hardcoded into the ECM, and are not meant to be modified as per the law. .

Nearly all modern cars continue to have this 'editable' control, but this is now independent of the MoRTH-mandated limits of 80 & 120.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 12:05   #24
BHPian

Agreed, the new BMW speed alerts will make you pull your hair out.

This can be coded out in the newer BMWs. It is a straightforward process. It involves spending some money to get the ECU values turned off. Not advisable if you are not sure what you are doing, because you are tinkering with the factory ECU settings.

Note that this is independent of the speed warning in the iDrive (turning it off in iDrive will not work). BMW service centres will not turn it off due to the government mandate.
Old 27th January 2021, 12:19   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverblue View Post
This can be coded out in the newer BMWs. It is a straightforward process. It involves spending some money to get the ECU values turned off.
True but keep in mind that every time BMW Service updates the firmware, it will most likely come back again to stock settings. So, important to find a coder who will not only do it one-off, but also provide a 'AMC' as and when the firmware is updated.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 12:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

This is the result of short-sighted regulation and its implementation. I understand there are speed limit warnings in many countries but the cars there are designed to monitor 'smart' speed limits depending on the zone you are in via GPS

But having a one size fits all 80kmph speed limit is senseless as there are highways where 100 kmph is the legal limit. So why should the car try to warn the driver while crossing 80?

Either have smart speed limit warnings where the warning signifies an actual breach of law, else just have the absolute limit of 120 kmph, which can ring like crazy but is always valid
GeeTee TSI is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 12:29   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
True but keep in mind that every time BMW Service updates the firmware, it will most likely come back again to stock settings. So, important to find a coder who will not only do it one-off, but also provide a 'AMC' as and when the firmware is updated.
Yes . Additionally, advisable to reset it to factory settings before sending it to BMW service. You do not want any red flags being raised by BMW service if they see a modified ECU.

Looks like BMW took the 80/120 mandate and went to town with it. They definitely deserve an "implementation" award from MoRTH

Last edited by silverblue : 27th January 2021 at 12:31.
Old 27th January 2021, 12:45   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Just to clarify:

80 kmph:

Nice cars - A subtle chime with a warning on the MID

BMW - LOUD chime, with the music volume dropping momentarily

120 kmph:

Nice cars - A subtle, classy continuous beep. It's there, you can hear it, but it's bearable.

BMW - LOUD continuous beeping + music volume permanently lowered .
Totally agree !

We bought a Honda Jazz CVT in Feb 2020. At 80 km/h there is one beep and an indication in the dash. At 120 km/h there is a continuous beep but reasonably subtle.

Our 2012 VW Passat has an adjustable speed warning that can be set by the user from 60 km/h upwards - I have set it to 160 km/h but have never driven beyond 120 km/h
Old 27th January 2021, 12:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure can. Any tuner will do it.
Does this void warranty?..
i.e. can the Service center realise you've made the change once you go for your next service and use it as an excuse should you claim warranty down the line for something?

Thanks.
Old 27th January 2021, 12:52   #30
BHPian

I might sound ignorant but since when has this 80 and 120 kmph warning been mandated ?

I ask because my 3 year old Compass doesn't have it. I have set the "settable" chime in the Compass at 110 kmph. That's it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks