Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How do you seek directions to an unknown destination?
Use GPS (Google Maps, Waze etc.) and coordinates only 77 22.38%
Use GPS + paper maps 3 0.87%
Use GPS + ask locals 256 74.42%
Use paper maps and written directions + ask locals 3 0.87%
Ask locals and truck drivers for all road directions 4 1.16%
I do not go to unknown destinations 1 0.29%
Voters: 344. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2021, 10:54   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Seeking directions to your destination - How do you prefer to do it?

I have a strange problem - I'm unable to get the directions given by locals. If the direction given is "Go straight, turn left at the petrol bunk, you will see a big circle...", my brain just records "Go straight" and skips the rest.

I have a problem if somebody stops me and asks for directions too. My mind just goes blank.
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 11:14   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
I have a strange problem - I'm unable to get the directions given by locals. If the direction given is "Go straight, turn left at the petrol bunk, you will see a big circle...", my brain just records "Go straight" and skips the rest.
So much for being a smart cat, eh? Just kidding!

Happens with me at times and I ask the fellow again or just repeat what he just said (keep repeating in my mind as I drive)

Quote:
I have a problem if somebody stops me and asks for directions too. My mind just goes blank.
Tell me about it!

Either goes blank or starts doing million calculations about which would be the best route and the best parking spot and so on (even if the destination is right in front of my eyes)
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 11:30   #18
JTM
BHPian

Since my childhood, we've always checked beforehand on the routes that we'd be traveling on. Whether they are places that we've gone to, or new destinations, my father calls up his friends who either live in the area or have visited those places, and finds out the best way to reach our destination. Locals too are treasure troves of knowledge. Google Maps really is a boon in our cities (from my experiences) and we've never lost our way. Although it certainly has taken us on some whirlwind routes in the countryside

Last edited by JTM : 27th January 2021 at 11:31.
JTM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 11:39   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm unable to get the directions given by locals.
Go Straight is a Puneri culture akin to Dead-end left/right in Bengaluru . This is the universal way how locals here guide you for directions.

The cat in you must be trained now to go along the road apart from crossing the road because forget locals or googlemaps, a cat crossing the road makes a lot of motorists take U turns or turn left or right!
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 11:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

Even though I rely on Google Maps for 95% of directions, I sometimes seek inputs from those who have travelled in the same route prior to my journey. This is better than seeking help from locals when there is a confusion. May be this also should be an option in this poll:

"Use Navigation (Google Maps and offline ones) and seek inputs from previous/experienced travelers prior to the trip."

There are some issues with seeking on-the-fly help from locals:

1) A two wheeler user can direct a car guy to a narrow road - for a 2 wheeler user, those roads are comfortable and easy to ride whereas it can prove to be a nightmare for a car guy.

2) Many locals suggest routes based on how many Kilometers (and even meters) can one save if they take a particular route. Very few care about the average speed / driving time of the route options available. I prefer taking a better road even if the route is few kilometers longer.

3) The most dreaded one - they can direct you to a wrong route.

4) Having to stop for seeking help from a local is a pain while you're driving. Sometimes you can't even spot a local when needed.

5) Proper interpretation of what a local is saying to you can be a challenge sometimes.
clevermax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 11:50   #21
BHPian

As long as maps were available in Nokia OVI Suite, I had used them extensively and were extremely reliable, a million times better than even the curent G Maps.

Now whilst within the City roads, use the Gmaps nonchalantly but off the familiar territory, I use the GMaps with caution.

With getting directions from Locals, problems occur when they communicate the cardinal directions also in the local language. This I have encountered maximum in Kerala.

Quote:

The going blank part happens to me too even if I may just come from the same direction.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th January 2021 at 11:11. Reason: Please edit / multi-quote instead of back to back posts on the same thread.
Old 27th January 2021, 13:30   #22
BHPian

Quote:

You don't have a strange problem, SmartCat!. You are in elite company !.

Many a time, I have taken a road, straight as an arrow and reached my destination. On the way back, I wonder if it is the same road I took and always have a doubt in mind until I reach a familiar road .

Like most others, I use GMAPS almost all the time, but always keep an open mind when following. NEVER EVER trust GMAPS blindly. On many occasions, they have misguided, but they have also exceeded expectations sometimes!.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 15:18   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I am ex merchant navy and ex pilot so when navigating I like to rely on multiple data sources so to speak. So I will bring at least my phone with google maps, some form of dedicated navigation device, and as many (detailled) maps as I can get my hands on.

In India when I was bumming around on my Bullet I would always rely on my little Garmin Etrex. I usually tried to plot a route on my PC, stick it into the Etrext and set off. I would also print off some description of some landmarks, or some google maps shots.

My experience was that on the road the number of people able to speak English comes down quickly and I don’t speak Hindi. But that never was a problem asking for directions. People were always very happy to point me into the right direction. Having some print outs to show them where I wanted to go was a great help and the rest was just down to a lot of gesticulation.

I have taken many trips with my Indian biking friends. I have never ever seen anybody with a map. We always made our way by sheer luck and or divine intervention and by asking lots of directions along the route. Whereas in Europe I can trust my TomTom to know exactly which roads might be closed off, in India I found the locals are your best source, by far.

Here in Europe for just about any destination I can just punch it into any navigations device. I prefer my Tomtom over anything.

If I want to follow a particular route, as we often do, I would plan that route, usually with help from traditional maps, and transfer the route into my TomTom.

Even so, I still would ask directions if I am not sure, or if I am looking for a particular destination that might not be easily identifiable on a map.

And of course, apart from being a navigator and a bit of nerd when it comes to the latest and greatest electronic gadgets, I am also a bit of an old git. So I will always bring my sextant too!

Seeking directions to your destination - How do you prefer to do it?-screenshot-20210127-10.34.26-am.png
Jeroen is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 16:24   #24
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I normally use a mix of the following (in sequence) :

Google Maps (the first level) - For the highway run
GPS + Sign Boards (when we come to any major turns)
GPS + Locals before turning into any narrow streets or lanes or deserted or bad roads

Before we make a trip, we normally use Google Maps to pinpoint the route. Wherever we encounter turns which are off the main road or highway - we check in the Satellite view to see how the roads are - you can make out if it is a tar/concrete or a muddy path. This has been really useful in most of our trips.

Nothing beats asking locals for directions during such times when there is so much road work / Metro work / flyover work going on everywhere.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 06:18   #25
Team-BHP Support

Coincidence? This one came up on my Facebook feed today -

Seeking directions to your destination - How do you prefer to do it?-image-ios-6.png
Old 28th January 2021, 07:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

The poll needs one more option.

Ask bhpians/ friends before hand.

Over the past few years I have found that we share common ground over a lot of topics, including what will be a fun drive, what kind of road surface to we expect and even how a particular route has deteriorated.

There are more than enough threads for these, I end up asking bhpians/ friends on current status of that route and use accordingly.
After returning, I make it a point to update on the current status of the route taken so that it could help others.

Asking locals is fraught with risks. What is an acceptable route for a local may be a broken road surface. Sometimes locals give longer routes to avoid twisties or ghat sections which we may actually enjoy more.

While we do have navigation in the car, I rarely ever use it. I do see others asking route queries, so I guess there are more in this tribe..
Old 28th January 2021, 08:21   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Whenever I have to travel to a new location, I check Google maps, read the route carefully and cross check with someone who has been there already or is aware of the route. I do not trust the maps blindly for a location unknown. I also search YouTube as there is ample data available there too which might leave one surprised! If there is a crossroad where Google is showing a route where no one is actually going, I stop and check with locals. Google has indeed got me out of a jam through a very isolated stretch but that was really scary.

Google can also confuse you like it did to Funkykar here (A rare Tata 407 4x4 | 1300 km road trip). The location was a bit off by around 500kms!

I avoid travelling to an unknown location at night, and if I have to, I ensure to take necessary precautions.
Old 28th January 2021, 09:22   #28
BHPian

I primarily use Google maps when travelling to unknown destinations and it is pretty accurate most of the times. However, there are instances when it leads you through narrow lanes/bylanes or through non-existent roads. That is when I stop and seek help from the locals.

There was an instance when on one of my road trips to Tadoba, Gmaps led me through a lane which eventually became so narrow that even a two wheeler would not be able to pass from the opposite direction. I started getting strange and angry looks from the locals. Finally decided to reverse (for quite a distance) until I found a spot where I could turn the car around.

Always better to use your judgement and not blindly follow Gmaps/navigation.
Old 28th January 2021, 09:48   #29
Senior - BHPian

For those of you who rely on Google Maps.

https://indianexpress.com/article/tr...plits-5587214/

BTW if you use Google Maps to reach my house, you land up in a field behind my house.

Other than a few minor glitches, Google Maps works fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Seeking directions to your destination - How do you prefer to do it?-dzf2xf4uyaazvo0.jpeg  

pedrolourenco is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 10:12   #30
BHPian

GPS + ask locals. The asking locals part comes in only if the GPS suggested route seems shady, or counter-intuitively long.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks