Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2021, 10:30   #1
BHPian

Can I place the National Flag of India on my car?

An off-topic question out of curiosity: Since, the Republic day has just passed, I see a lot of private cars installed with small Indian flags on their wind-shields. Sooner or later, most of these end up in dumpsters or lying around on the roads! The question is two part:
1. Is there a rule which prohibits private vehicles from installing Indian flags on their wind-shields/wipers as only government vehicles might have the authority to do that?
2. Is there a fine which can be imposed by the traffic cops on seeing the same?
Varun_G is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 10:48   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_G View Post
An off-topic question out of curiosity: Since, the Republic day has just passed, I see a lot of private cars installed with small Indian flags on their wind-shields. Sooner or later, most of these end up in dumpsters or lying around on the roads! The question is two part:
1. Is there a rule which prohibits private vehicles from installing Indian flags on their wind-shields/wipers as only government vehicles might have the authority to do that?
Yeah - this is WAY off-topic, so I'll report this post to be moved to an appropriate thread elsewhere along with associated responses.

As for the national flag - certainly there is a very detailed flag code applicable in India. It has very specific rules & regulations and is available easily in public domain. None of us are actually allowed to have the national flag on our personal vehicles. There are multiple reasons for it. One of the biggest being ensuring respect to the highest symbol of India.

Just like all rules and regulations - there are always grey areas. What qualifies? A sticker of the flag on the dashboard? A full fledged flag on a little stick mounted on the ORVM of the car? And what not? As a standard practise - I never even apply a national flag sticker anywhere on my belongings. Reason is simple - with time these things fade / get damaged. I don't want to be a person who is the root cause of such a state. I have a flag at home and I take care of it, that is enough for me.

Then again - punishing people with flags on cars is impractical given our population : police strength numbers. Another usual friction point that comes is - someone who is willingly flying the national colours - certainly thinks he / she is a patriot. While disrespecting the flag is a big crime by the books - its hard to convince the masses that this warrants a punishment/fine when apparently rapists & murderers are walking free on the streets (a standard excuse used for any argument related with fines and punishments in our country).

Last edited by Reinhard : 27th January 2021 at 10:51.
Reinhard is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 19:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

There was a law against usage of the flag (By common people). If my memory serves me right, Mr Jindal the industrialist had famously challenged it in the courts and won a favourable judgement. Post that, every Indian can use the flag and place it where he pleases
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Yeah - this is WAY off-topic
Sebring is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 07:02   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Can I place the National Flag of India on my car?

Varun_G, an excellent question & great replies. Moving to a new thread!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 07:17   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
There was a law against usage of the flag (By common people). If my memory serves me right, Mr Jindal the industrialist had famously challenged it in the courts and won a favourable judgement. Post that, every Indian can use the flag and place it where he pleases
Mr. Navin Jindal has been instrumental in getting the citizens the honour of displaying the national flag on all days of the year. He fought a long battle and the Supreme Court of India on 23rd January 2004 ruled that the display of national flag by every citizen of India is a fundamental right. He has set up Flag Foundation of India for this very purpose.

As far as putting up the National Flag on car is concerned, this screenshot will answer the query.

Can I place the National Flag of India on my car?-screenshot_20210128072258__01.jpg

Quote:
Your questions may have answers here.

But I don't see a lot of clarity with respect to timings inside car etc.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 28th January 2021 at 07:20.
BoneCollector is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 07:55   #6
BHPian

We can put national flag on our car or home, however we cannot use national emblem (four Lion face symbol) for our personal usage.
im_chandan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 09:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Varun_G, an excellent question & great replies. Moving to a new thread!
Now that we can legally have our beloved Tiranga on our dashboards, I am wondering if this can be made available through TBHP merchandise.

I was imagining something like this. But with the Indian highway and road network printed on the map.
Can I place the National Flag of India on my car?-dashboard-tiranga.png
RedTerrano is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 11:45   #8
BHPian

It is nice to place it inside with a sense of national pride and won't make any difference to anyone.

But placing it outside in full public view changes the scenario completely regardless of whether it is allowed or not! Be prepared to be treated differently by different people ranging from a free path to being pulled over to authenticate yourself!.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 11:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Mr. Navin Jindal has been instrumental in getting the citizens the honour of displaying the national flag on all days of the year. He fought a long battle and the Supreme Court of India on 23rd January 2004 ruled that the display of national flag by every citizen of India is a fundamental right.
What a timing that I spotted this thread just now. Thanks @BoneCollector and Varun_G.

Another half an hour I would've removed the flag from my Gypsy which I bought few days back from a fellow bhpian. I was worried I would unnecessarily be flagged down by the cops for this and was about to remove it but without quite trying to learn the legality of it, so stupid of me.

Now it will proudly remain where it is now, thanks to this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Can I place the National Flag of India on my car?-20210128_115541.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 28th January 2021 at 12:03.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 12:22   #10
BHPian

To the best of my knowledge, there's no restriction on this. As others have pointed out, Naveen Jindal in early 2000s had successfully won the battle in courts - prior to this, citizens had the right to fly the flag only on national holidays.

There's an extensive Flag Code of India, which prescribes how, who, when can use the flag. But as far as I know, it has no statutory backing - so it's equivalent of a government guidelines/advisory, with no legal sanctity.

Then there's the Prevention of Insults to National Honour Act, 1971, as per which you can't do the following:

Quote:
(a) a gross affront or indignity offered to the Indian National Flag; or

(b) dipping the Indian National Flag in salute to any person or thing; or

(c) flying the Indian National Flag at half-mast except on occasions on which the Indian National Flag is flown at half-mast on public buildings in accordance with the instructions issued by the Government; or

(d) using the Indian National Flag as a drapery in any form whatsoever except in State funerals or armed forces or other para-military forces funerals; or

(e) using the Indian National Flag,—
(i) as a portion of costume, uniform or accessory of any description which is worn below the waist of any person; or
(ii) by embroidering or printing it on cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, undergarments or any dress material; or]

(f) putting any kind of inscription upon the Indian National Flag; or

(g) using the Indian National Flag as a receptacle for receiving, delivering or carrying anything except flower petals before the Indian National Flag is unfurled as part of celebrations on special occasions including the Republic Day or the Independence day; or

(h) using the Indian National Flag as covering for a statute or a monument or a speaker’s desk or a speaker’s platform; or

(i) allowing the Indian National Flag to touch the ground or the floor or trail in water intentionally; or

(j) draping the Indian National Flag over the hood, top and sides or back or on a vehicle, train, boat or an aircraft or any other similar object; or

(k) using the Indian National Flag as a covering for a building; or

(l) intentionally displaying the Indian National Flag with the “saffron” down.
N.A.GTC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 13:58   #11
BHPian

I have seen British flag on socks and underwear! They even openely sell this in stores.

They even have a website that sells flag based merchendise https://www.unionjackwear.co.uk/

Looks like only we Indians are a set of people who worship symbols more than the idea. Even though we are a country of idols and symbols, are we not going overboard with restrictions on flag? Was it elitiest menatality of few in power that keeps flag away from common man?

Just introspecting openly - Please dont brand me as anti-national. I do respect the idea of the flag when hoisted.
Sedate is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 15:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post
I have seen British flag on socks and underwear! They even openely sell this in stores.
Our rules ensure that the National Flag is given utmost respect. Indian citizens also follow the rules and any violation is viewed seriously as far as I know.

But we buy the same UK or USA flag designer Cap or Shorts and wear. Although the above countries never raise their eyebrows for this, I wonder what would happen when someone in UK or USA buy Indian National Flag designer Caps or Shorts and wear!

Patriotism shouldn't be in words alone, but it should come from actions also. Even a smallest act of throwing a waste or spitting , open space defecation also tarnishes the image of our motherland. This happens only in our country and that's where the difference lies.

Coming back to the topic, it's always good to either display the flag with utmost care or not display at all. If it's outside the vehicle then there are more chances of it to get damaged.

So better keep it inside the car to protect it.

NB: This is my advice and I am not responsible for any bookings by our beloved police officials for keeping a flag sticker.
vijith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 18:25   #13

Can I place the National Flag of India on my car?-dashboard-tricolor.jpg

I have been using this type of Dashboard Flag on all my cars as long as I can remember.
There have been occasions when my vehicle crossed certain police check-posts but I have never got in trouble because of them (Touchwood).
Gabbar010487 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 01:53   #14
BHPian

I gave this question a good thought 3 years ago, before deciding to go ahead with putting it on on my car. Have the tri colours (sans the the Ashoka Chakra) displayed proudly in a discreet manner, no problem whatsoever.

Can I place the National Flag of India on my car?-hexa-tricolor.jpeg
McLaren Roxx is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 11:41   #15
BHPian

Increadible question, just a though I had 2 days back when someone was trying to sell me a flag for the car. My humble Ganpati had come off since the glue wore off and the spot seemed vacant. Was thiking of placing the flag there. Just what I wanted to know.

Quote:
Now there is no law as such and this should not come under our current flag laws, Mr. Jindals case as an example.
Though I wont be surprised if some cop would like to fine someone just for keeping a flag oranment in the car.

I would say go for it, I am going to put in my car too. Would be great to have our Indian Flag right in front of our eyes while driving.

Last edited by frewper : 30th January 2021 at 11:42.
frewper is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks