Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2021, 13:02   #16
BHPian

Re: It's OK to jump signal if there's an ambulance behind - Police will not penalise you

I read an article about ambulances in the UAE being equipped with a system that can turn the red light green when triggered.

This would be the best solution in my opinion. No rules are broken, nobody is under any added risk and the ambulance will not have to navigate through static traffic at a red light.

Perhaps this could be viable too. For instance, 'smart' signals are being set up in Kochi that adjust the red/green light times by detecting the amount of traffic at the signal. Compared to that, a system that can receive a signal from an ambulance and turn a signal green should be easier to make, right?

Last edited by francisvellara : 13th February 2021 at 13:04.
francisvellara is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 13:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: It's OK to jump signal if there's an ambulance behind - Police will not penalise you

I would have expected in 2021 that the ambulance route is synchronised with central traffic control room so that traffic lights are operated to prioritise the ambulance's progress. How's this managed in other countries?

It is not the right approach to let the average motorists apply their discretion (jumping signals) putting the traffic with their rightful green at risk (worse, pedestrians crossing at their signal)

Is there even a code of driving for ambulance drivers with do's and don'ts? That is a completely rash affair mostly, at the full discretion of the driver!
GeeTee TSI is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 14:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
I would have expected in 2021 that the ambulance route is synchronised with central traffic control room so that traffic lights are operated to prioritise the ambulance's progress. How's this managed in other countries?

It is not the right approach to let the average motorists apply their discretion (jumping signals) putting the traffic with their rightful green at risk (worse, pedestrians crossing at their signal)

Is there even a code of driving for ambulance drivers with do's and don'ts? That is a completely rash affair mostly, at the full discretion of the driver!
A few hours ago, an ambulance nearly side-swiped us while rushing full speed on the wrong way on a dual-carriageway. While the urgency to reach a hospital is understood, the ambulance drivers need to be given minimum disciplinary guidelines, if not a full-fledged code.
railfanwithk750 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 22:16   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisvellara View Post
ambulances in the UAE being equipped with a system that can turn the red light green when triggered.
In India ambulances are almost like taxis / auto rickshaw. There is no centralized monitoring or despatch system.

IMHO, ambulance drivers need to have specific training for at least a month before being allowed to operate an ambulance. Training should be by RTO department, and not the driving schools.

A classic case of ambulance misuse:

https://english.mathrubhumi.com/news...ort--1.4320672

In addition criminals are suspected of using ambulance to evade laws during their nefarious activities.
Old 14th February 2021, 17:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

I always give way while driving to ambulances. It is top priority, No doubt ! But never have I had an ambulance behind me at a traffic light. But I don't think it is ok to jump a red signal. Unless you want to be a passenger too in the ambulance behind. Our infrastructure is still way behind to enable a certain ambulance to enable green lights in it's path. Maybe for certain modern junctions it might be ok, but for the rest, I am not sure it will work out. Also regulations are not there in place.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks