Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2007, 11:18   #1
Team-BHP Support

On T-Boning bikes

If you T Bone a bike, i.e. hit a bike going at 50 square on the side, sometimes it does not fall. The rear wheel skids in your direction of motion for 2-3 meters or so, and then the bike can go on. This is my discovery.
I have T-Boned 2 vehicles till date. Both happened when I was doing maybe 20kmph and the other guy/gal was doing 60. The first incident happened many aeons ago, and I saw what the underbody of a santro looks like when it faces the sky(search this forum and you will find the gory details).
The second incident was yesterday. It was not that dramatic, but filmy nonetheless.
I am standing at the red light, behind 3 rickshaw pullers lined up for the green light drag. The light goes green, and the awfully slow drags start. All of them are pulling people who have had one too many trips to Mcdonalds. I want to honk them away, but take pity too on the poor pullers, straining in the hot evening sun.
I give a gap of around 3 meters so that I can overtake from the side as soon as oppurtunity arises. Soon there is a gap, and I start accelerating, and then a loud bang.
An idiotic biker with Pillion has had too much dhoom. He jumped the light thinking there is enough gap between the rickshaw and my car to zoom through. At this point the light had turned green for a good 15 seconds, so he was not one of the last minute zoom through guys, it was a calculated move with miscalculations.
My first though is about the left headlight, second is about the biker. His rear wheel skid a good 3 meters, like in a drift, and then he stops. Cops come running. He puts it into gear and takes off. I stop traffic as I start turning right after the dude. Luckily he has stopped a couple hundred meters ahead because his silencer is in his wheel.
I rush as fast as the indica can take me and park in front of that guy.
Want to break his head, but both of them give me a sheepish grin and say "Sorry, hum Jaldi mein the". i.e. Sorry, we were in a hurry. I tell them the cop is coming and he can do all explaining to him.
Soon 5 cops, 4 of them running for the first time in their lives, and a very very big Sub Inspector on a very small bike(called byk) comes. After a few unprintable expletives he takes their keys, and asks me if I want to file for damage.
At that moment I inspect the indica and see that 2 bolts have fallen off the number plate. Nothing else.
The biker is not so lucky, A new siliencer is the minimum he needs.
I drive off cursing them, and thanking my starts it was not a repeat of the earlier incident. If those idiots(and no helmets too) had fallen off and died, it would have been big big big headache for me. I sure hope they have to pay bribes to all the 5 policemen. 100 rs fine for jumping red lights is too less(This is noida, not delhi).
Old 20th April 2007, 11:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

They are a real menace around here nowadays Tanveer, especially the red-light jumpers who expect everyone else to stop for them. Good to know you car came away with minimal damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Soon 5 cops, 4 of them running for the first time in their lives, and a very very big Sub Inspector on a very small bike(called byk) comes. After a few unprintable expletives he takes their keys, and asks me if I want to file for damage.
Hahahahaha I can almost imagine this with the policemen rubbing their hands in glee!!
Old 20th April 2007, 12:13   #3
Team-BHP Support

Not just bikes, jumping red lights dangerously is also passtime of cars here now. Few days ago I saw a santro getting T boned by an 800 because the santro guy though he could run through. This was with a cop, not a traffic light. The cop had clearly given the hand signal to stop. I stopped, and this guy on the santro parallel to me thought he would run through.
There was a big bus who stopped just in time, cursing no doubt, and as soon as he passed the bus, wham!
Old 20th April 2007, 12:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yeah on t-boning...one of the worst incidents of my life...

You see i have this 93'Kinetic with a K&n.It sounds heavenly when you open it up but doesnt manage to do more than 70 .So anyway...I used to have this habit of ripping past The indranagar coffee day(bangy meet place)...the sound is so dramatic that people actually turn their heads....err thats till they see its only a kine .

So this one day going to the bank at the end of the road,..decided to rip as usual.I'm about 10metres from Coffee day when this guy on an RX135comes perpendicular to me with an intention of zipping into the parking area.Squeezed both brakes...and...wham.The last i remember,he fell down...i flew in the air and landed a few metres away.My bike hit the Light pole and landed on the coffeeday steps.OUCH! I had in total 7 proper bruises.Got up and called my brother first.He comes in a few mins and his friend takes me to hospital.

The funny part is though it was partly my mistake(The RX dude wasnt looking when he crossed) the Rx guy got scre*ed.HIs friends abused him.By this time a huge crowd had gathered and no one touched me because of the status of the people that came to my help.

My kine was gone..the fork bet about 7inches towards the seat..everything was destroyed.The rx guy fell off his bike and only had a slight limp.W TF?? I have to agree with tanveer that when you t-bone a bike nothing is really going to happen to him.

Bottom line is...Dont buy K&N.A stock air filter wouldnt have let this happen.

binz

Last edited by binz : 20th April 2007 at 12:22.
Old 20th April 2007, 12:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
Bottom line is...Dont buy K&N.A stock air filter wouldnt have let this happen.

binz
WOW, that was some profound logic!! Care to explain how you arrived at this conclusion Binz?
Old 20th April 2007, 12:54   #6
Team-BHP Support

nahin yaar Ishan bottom line should be dont try and impress the people at cafe coffee day. Atleast go to Mount Carmel College for that.
Old 20th April 2007, 12:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nah actual conclusion was exactly like tanveer said...bike will just drift.The guy in my case fell off in shock.
The K&N part was chumma:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
nahin yaar Ishan bottom line should be dont try and impress the people at cafe coffee day. Atleast go to Mount Carmel College for that.
Exactly...not in a kine.Drive a car

Last edited by adya33 : 21st April 2007 at 10:25.
Old 21st April 2007, 02:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Bottom line is, get a licence!!!

And you'd better be carrying a lot of money to Nandi Hills. 25 hungry BHPians all know it's your birthday.
Old 24th April 2007, 09:39   #9
BHPian

On the contrary, I've discovered that cyclists can indeed "fly" when they're hit even by the smallest car available - the M800. A cyclist just decided to waft across a intersection, when I was doing 40-50. Thunk, and he starts to fly. Miraculously, my car stopped, and I avoided running over him. Crowds gathered, and naturally took the victim's case. Luckily the guy was conscious, and I took him back to his home. He got off with just a concussion, but that was the worst moment of my driving experience.

Most Viewed