Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2021, 16:42   #1
BHPian

NHAI removes the minimum balance requirement for FASTag

NHAI has removed requirement to maintain a minimum amount in FASTag Account/Wallet.
Quote:
In order to increase the FASTag penetration to ensure seamless movement of traffic and to reduce avoidable delays at the toll plazas, NHAI has decided to remove the mandatory threshold amount for the FASTag account / wallet, which was paid by the user in addition to the security deposit for the passenger segment (Car/Jeep/Van).

It has been decided that the users will now be allowed to pass through the toll plaza, if the FASTag account/ wallet balance is non-negative. After crossing the toll plaza, if the account balance becomes negative, the bank can recover the amount from the security deposit, which should be replenished at the time of the next recharge by the user.

As payment on toll plazas through FASTag will become mandatory from 15th February 2021, National Highways Authority of India is targeting to achieve 100% cashless tolling at the toll plazas across the country.
Link:
https://t.co/PWt2AKzAyi?amp=1
YD14 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 09:32   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: NHAI removes the minimum balance requirement for FASTag

Mod Note: Thanks for sharing! Thread moved to the Street Experiences section.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 12:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

It has both advantages and disadvantage.

The advantage is, the owners need not invest in dead capital of Rs100 to Rs 200 as threshold value.

But the disadvantage is, the problem is just postponed by another Rs 250. If the car consumes security deposit also fully after consuming the toll deposit, and attempts to pass through the next toll without toll balance, toll operator does not allow to pass through and chokes that entire lane.

I may be wrong in my understanding of the rule but, this is bound to happen, if the way I have understood is right.

Last edited by gkveda : 12th February 2021 at 12:39.
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 15:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
It has both advantages and disadvantage.

The advantage is, the owners need not invest in dead capital of Rs100 to Rs 200 as threshold value.

But the disadvantage is, the problem is just postponed by another Rs 250. If the car consumes security deposit also fully after consuming the toll deposit, and attempts to pass through the next toll without toll balance, toll operator does not allow to pass through and chokes that entire lane.

I may be wrong in my understanding of the rule but, this is bound to happen, if the way I have understood is right.
Exactly my thoughts. This will mostly jam the lanes and people will discover that their wallets are empty.
Old 12th February 2023, 18:30   #5

Still some Fastag issuers like Paytm require minimum balance of Rs 300. Can anybody share if other major issuers like Axis, Hdfc or ICICI Band have implemented the NHAI advisory.
Old 14th February 2023, 11:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post

But the disadvantage is, the problem is just postponed by another Rs 250.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Exactly my thoughts. This will mostly jam the lanes and people will discover that their wallets are empty.
+1. Last month I drove from Chennai - Palakkad and back and at least on 3 tolls we ended up in this situation. The toll operators are not bothered about the jammed lanes and they simply sit waiting for the driver to pay. In all cases, we ended up reversing and entering the next lane; Lost of fuel and time wasted.
Old 17th February 2023, 05:53   #7
BHPian

I wonder if this affects the FASTAGs issued prior to this rule where there is a security deposit of Rs 200+

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks