Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2021, 17:54   #1

The atrocities of some Taxi / Autorickshaw drivers - Reasons why I don't book a taxi anymore

Greetings fellow TeamBHPians,
Before I begin, humble request to the moderators to move this thread to the appropriate section. Thanks in advance.

Irrespective of our career and geographic location or even the number of rides in our garage, we can't deny that we use taxis for transportation - be it short or long trips. I'm not blaming all the taxi fleet/ drivers here, just sharing some of my bitter experiences I had during my few last trips.

1. Outstation Trip: Trichy - Kumbakonam: This happened in 2018, when I had to attend a relative's marriage at Kumbakonam. I was in Kollam at that period. I had booked a AC Sleeper bus from Kollam to Trichy, since there were no direct buses available to Kumbakonam. I relied on the plenty of local buses operating between Trichy and Kumbakonam. I had no idea that the buses will be crowded at that timeframe (school children, office, factory workers etc., also it was marriage season!))when I got off the Interstate AC Sleeper.
I came out of the Bus station, I called the taxi (MS Dzire) parked on the other side of the road. I told the driver about my destination. He quoted Rs. 2000 excluding tolls for the 2.5 hour, 90 km trip. Maybe I found the price reasonable or maybe I don't know much about the place or maybe I'm just an introvert who doesn't talk much, so without negotiation I got in the car at about 7.30AM and within minutes I was asleep. Though the roads were not that good and full of potholes and patches, the skilled driver took me to my destination without waking me up. As I was sleeping, he had paid the toll charges (no complaints on that).

When I got off the taxi, I asked him the total amount I had to pay including toll costs. He asked for Rs. 3200/-. Even of the toll charges were Rs. 150 or Rs. 200, the total would be Rs. 2150. He told me that he quoted Rs. 3000 for the trip, and I misheard what he said. When I refused to pay the extra cash, he threatened to call the Taxi Association Members to the place. I didn't want to create a scene in front of the function home (or as I said, I don't speak much) so I paid him.

2. Local Trip: Pollachi Town Bus Stand - Pollachi Omni Bus Stand Parking: The was in 2019, where I had to go to Madurai from Thrissur. Booked a sleeper bus from Pollachi to Madurai that departs at 8.30 PM. Since I had to take care of some errands in Kollengode, a town that is along the way, I was a bit late when I reached Pollachi Town Bus stand by 8.10 PM(the only place in the town which had pay to park lots for motorcycles). When I parked my bike and exited the parking lot, it was already 8.15PM. The Omni Bus Stand was about 3-4 km away and I was already getting notifications from the booking app.

I looked around and called the first autorickhaw that caught my eyes. I told the driver my destination, and the 10 minute time left to catch the bus. The fare was Rs. 50. For a good 5-10 minutes, everything was going well. As we were waiting at the signal, 2 kilometers from the destination, the autorickshaw suddenly stopped. The driver pulled the hand lever a couple of times, but the auto didn't start. He got down and tried to do the "push and start" maneuver. The clock was ticking and I was getting calls from the bus operator - it was 8.40PM, I was already late. I got out of the auto with my bags still inside and I asked the driver to start while I pushed. As I pushed for just 5 feet, the auto started now and never stopped. The crooked driver left with my bags while I'm stranded on the street.
My fault here was blindly trusting the autorickshaw driver for my emergency. I missed the bus and lost my luggage on the same night. For a few minutes, I didn't know what to do. Going to the Police might help but I can't be sure when the bags will be recovered. I didn't have any valuables in my bag, just clothes and stuff but hey, it's my bag and it was robbed! It was about 9.30 PM now and shops were closing. I approached the nearest autorickshaw stand and told the incident to the group of drivers sitting there. I didn't see the registration number but I remember the God's name written on the front windshield of the auto when I called for it and the same God's picture on the back glass, as the auto left with my bag. I told the details of the auto and within an hour, my bags were returned - in another autorickshaw. I was asked to pay Rs. 500 to them who made some calls and made the recovery. I was tired by the time, booked a cheap motel and slept it in. I had to cancel my plan and went back to Thrissur the next morning.

After the Pollachi incident, I have never booked or called for a taxi or auto rickshaw till date because I have always thought of myself as a smart person. Not only I was fooled, I was robbed and I feel ashamed for it. I have experienced few more in the past, they are not write-worthy so I'm not putting them here.

I wouldn't wish such incidents happen to others but can't deny the fact that people haven't been in such situations involving taxis and autorickshaws.
Fellow TeamBHPians, if you have been in such situations, please do share.
Thank you.
dev2deva is offline   (72) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 00:43   #2
BHPian

re: The atrocities of some Taxi / Autorickshaw drivers - Reasons why I don't book a taxi anymore

I have been duped multiple times. And I consider myself to be really smart

Only when you go through such experiences is that you learn and come out wiser. There is nothing wrong in it. What I have understood is we live in a country where the rich-poor divide is getting wider and wider, so such incidents will be a common place. No point in sulking over it.

Some learnings of mine:
- Dont trust anyone. Not even your known circles. To each his own.
- If someone trusts you , repay the same in trust.
- No point in relying on cops to be your saviour. That rarely happens.
- Always be alert of your surroundings. As Ross calls it - “Unagi”.

Like you, I have ditched public transport long time ago for the same reason. And hey, we are Bhpians, we live to drive , dont we?
vj_torqueaddict is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 07:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: The atrocities of some Taxi / Autorickshaw drivers - Reasons why I don't book a taxi anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev2deva View Post
Fellow TeamBHPians, if you have been in such situations, please do share
Well, I've almost never been duped because...I've never used auto in first place. Hailing from Chennai & having seen how these rouges behave, I've refrained calling them until recent times when Ola & Uber started their business with auto where I don't have to speak a word to them

Offlate the trend with Uber & Ola auto is that, they call you & ask the destination & whether the payment is through credit or cash, unless it's cash or a destination is to their choice, they don't show up & ask to cancel.

So I started saying, I don't know & I'm not the one who booked. Now they show up & simply ask us to cancel the trip & walk away. These guys haven't adapted to 2021, they're still in the 80's & 90's trying to make quick buck fleecing the customer.

Anyway, I'm not stereotyping everyone because I have traveled with some real good auto drivers in Hyderabad, Trivandrum, Chennai & Bangalore who were very professional with their business & attitude. So it's all not that bad these as it used to be in 90's.
aargee is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 08:54   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

It is not just the duping in their charges, but the way many behave most of the time - their indiscipline the biggest one. Stop anywhere, drive slow when looking for hires, will be abusive if you ask them why for anything. I pretty much avoid them unless I really need to (like when I have to take an out-station bus).

Another reason - the lack of cleanliness. Dont know what was placed on that auto seat before one gets in. And another one is - they sleep with their unclean feet propped up on the dash or on the seat.

One recent incident - had to take an auto after dropping the car for servicing. At the end of the trip, he insisted I give extra - was his first trip of the day. I made sure I paid him exact fare. If he had not insisted, I may have done it myself.
condor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 09:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Another reason - the lack of cleanliness. Dont know what was placed on that auto seat before one gets in. And another one is - they sleep with their unclean feet propped up on the dash or on the seat.
Completely agreed, at one time I saw an auto driver washing his vehicle with err not so clean water in Mumbai, have stopped using autos since then. Have been using Uber from that point of time. In my 7+ years in Pune I have never travelled in a rick, prefer Uber since the fair being charged is more or less the same. The worst experience I have had travelling in a rick is in Coimbatore where they fleece you like crazy. The best experience has been at my native, Palakkad, Kerala.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 11th February 2021 at 09:09.
rakesh_r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 09:15   #6
BHPian

I bought my bike for the sole reason that I didn't want to hassle with Autowallahs everyday.
In Mumbai, they refused to go to Bandra at 9 in the morning, because Bandra would be asleep till 12 (utterly idiotic premise)

The worst part was, I used to keep a track of time and yet the fare used to vary by 30 rs between honest and dishonest one

That said, have had some most interesting conversations with Auto drivers, and have come to the conclusion that either they're from 2 districts of Uttar Pradesh, or past gang members repenting for their sins
lancia_fanboy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 09:25   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The atrocities of some Taxi / Autorickshaw drivers - Reasons why I don't book a taxi anymore

I don't use the black & yellow cabs at all because they are all rickety & old. Never sit in an auto rickshaw for the lack of safety. Only Uber / Ola due to the convenience, air-con and safety (I buckle up on the backseat too).
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 09:29   #8
BANNED

Re: The atrocities of some Taxi / Autorickshaw drivers - Reasons why I don't book a taxi anymore

Been ages since I have had to use an autorickshaw or a cab. Come what may, I stick to own transport and if I have to go for an outstation trip, I get my driver drop to the airport. If I have to use any sort of public transport and not interested in driving the car, I use the TSRTC bus and thereafter Metro to whichever destination I desire to go.
a4anurag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 09:46   #9
BHPian

I had moved to Bangalore in 2010. My home was about 50 bucks (that too inflated) fare away from my office in MG Road. I had prepared myself to mentally part with 70 or even 100 bucks when working late, or in urgent situations. Gave money happily to rickshaw drivers until an incident in 2012. I stop a rickshaw guy, and he notices that I ain't from this part of the country. He quoted '300!' bucks. Astounded, I let out a confused chuckle, and asked him why? To which he replied "North Indian Tax". Broke my heart. I stepped back. Walked home as it was a nice winter night in Bangalore. Tallied my monthly expense on fares on the way. Next day, went to Piaggio showroom and booked myself the newly launched Vespa 125. Now I board a rickshaw, if I have to, only via Uber/Ola app.
creative420 is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 09:47   #10
BHPian

The moment I hear the term "Taxi Association", my blood boils to an extent that it takes a reasonable time and thoughts to cool it down. Here's my bitter experience with an accident involving 2 cabs which was ruined because of their association : Link (Role of Cab Drivers association "President" in accidents involving taxis - A personal experience). Me and my family are still experiencing extreme mental stress even though we're reasonably connected. The association and their chamcha cop can ruin a lot of things. So avoid them like plague. Ever since that happened, I avoided any association with cabs, be it buiness (hiring a cab) or on the road.

Auto rickshaws, at least in Hyd, though they're expensive for what they are (non AC, uncomfortable), most of the drivers are ok. The politicians of the past did a good job in controlling them and in this matter I must say, the traffic cops too are regularly educating them about the rules and stuff. Most of the drivers I faced till now are good, there are one or two exceptions, like always.
saisailendra is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 09:57   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

With regards to getting swindled, I feel we all face such cases a few times in our busy lives but the vast majority of the cases are pretty decent, irrespective of the cities we live in. I have had a few cases across different cities and mostly shrugged it off.

It's just a matter of knowing what to expect and then decide on which option you want to go far. I decide basis the city I am in.

1. Mumbai - no issues experienced with Ola/Uber, my go-to option always. Autos are quite an trusty option especially for shorter rides within the suburbs. The kaali-peeli local cabs are a 3rd option, especially when in town. But never at main railway stations (e.g. Dadar station). And NEVER opt for the blue (&white) cabs.

2. Chennai - Metro/local EMU first option if possible (I live next to one). Ola/Uber the next default option, always book with cash and act dumb when asked on destination. Options like Fasttrack and others when going to known points (e.g. airport, station). Autos a very distant last option - and be ready to pay a extra 'tip' or bargain the price before climbing.

3. Vadodara (Ahmedabad/Gujarat cities) - Autos are generally a decent/good option, and at times you get to have a nice conversation too Ola/Uber a second option but availability depends on the time and location. Never had to take a cab till date.

4. Pune - Ola/Uber first option if available. Autos otherwise if in the outer regions. More than price, autos would not come depending on the destination. Again haven't seen much use of a cab here.

5. Bangalore - Ola/Uber first option depending on price and your luck of the driver accepting the ride. Autos a second option but generally preferred for short distances.
And so on...

Last edited by ninjatalli : 11th February 2021 at 09:59.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 10:05   #12
BHPian

Is it me or are we seeing a lot of rants against what we Tbhpians feel is an unfair world? I wish we had all spent a year as an auto wala after college, just imagine the street smarts we'd all have in dealing with our bosses and HR! (Don't know how things would work out if the boss and HR also had the same training). Hope someone will make a TV serial on this subject, will be a big hit I think.
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 10:06   #13
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

While most of us had unpleasant incidence with taxi and autorickshaw, a friend had a funny incident in Sri lanka in early 2000's.

We used to work for an IT company and were sent to Colombo for implementation. The hotel where we stayed was around 3 kms from the workspot. I had left early after breakfast and took an auto. Our regular fare was SLR 50. My friend was running late and took an auto and wanted negotiate the fare.

The auto wala asked him SLR 40 in singala and our friend was negotiating for SLR 50 for 5 mins. The auto guy tried to make him understand but since my friend was insisting to give SLR 50, he smiled and dropped him at our workspot, took the 50 and went happily.

We had a hearty laugh once a local colleague clarified the value !
bharanidharang is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 10:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Not to sound like a fanboy, but this thread just makes me realize the intangibles of Mumbai!

Auto drivers return 2 rs change, even today. Seldom dupe you on the route. Dont flee with luggage!

Same is true for taxi drivers.

I was in Bangalore, and had two fights with auto wallahs. Once an auto guy asked me for 70 rs for a 50 rs ride. I agreed. After arrival, I gave him 100 rs note and he refused to pay me 30 rs back saying no change. While he was trying to drive away, I caught him and asked him to pay. A few auto-wallahs came in his support and surrounded me. I wouldnt budge (I dont scare easily), so they sensed that I am not a push around. So a senior auto wallah scolded him and asked him to go away (with my 30 rs by the way).

It was horrible!
2000rpm is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 10:51   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
After arrival, I gave him 100 rs note and he refused to pay me 30 rs back saying no change. While he was trying to drive away, I caught him and asked him to pay.
It was horrible!
Always make sure you ask the auto wallah if they have the change. I know it's not always possible but that will always reduce your headache. Heck, I even ask the street-food vendors if they have change ready before buying any stuff.

Why? Once bitten, twice shy.
RavSam is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks