Team-BHP - Parking on footpaths in Bangalore - Here's what I did
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Parking on footpaths in Bangalore - Here's what I did (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/233777-parking-footpaths-bangalore-heres-what-i-did-2.html)

Great work @Stealthcraft. If people don't follow rules, they should learn a lesson the hard way.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ariesonu (Post 5009940)
So T-H-I-N-K before you act. Your goodwill action can have disastrous consequences for some genuine people too.

Food for thought - What if there was a fire in the shopping complex and the fire engine couldn’t get close enough to the complex because of the vehicles parked on the footpath?

There are endless "what-if" scenarios here, but we all should follow the rules. Life is equally difficult for each other. I understand the difficult situation your neighbor had, but those are rare. Also, the right approach would be educate him on what he did wrong once he is past his grieving.

Excellent work. If one can't park a car in their own premises or find suitable parking without putting others in danger, they probably need to rethink their purchase in the first place. I do the same for bikes with extremely loud aftermarket exhausts doing the rounds in my area, and have got a few bikes stripped of them. Citizen vigilance FTW!

It's amazing the number of people who think it's ok to park on the footpaths. I'm pretty sure most people (even on this forum) don't understand that it's just the wrong thing to do and justify it by giving examples (however tragic) of unintended consequences. What about the number of pedestrians every single day who are forced to duck around traffic simply because the vehicles are hogging whatever precious little space is available to walk in our cities?! Anyway most of the road infra (however pathetic) is geared towards private car/motorbike transport, so even the footpaths?! That's just unjustifiable.

Ultimately, you can give x number of reasons- 'no parking available', 'everyone does it', 'it's allowed', 'one-off case', 'city is planned badly', 'five minutes only', 'elderly passengers', 'emergency', but parking on footpaths is just not the thing to do sorry, however common it is and however widespread it is in our cities. Up to us to practice it (or rather not practice it! :)) or not. But then we shouldn't complain about how bad or undisciplined our traffic is because we're a part of that problem!

Quote:

I do NOT appreciate your action at all. If you want permanent solution then go there everyday & keep doing it till the parking menace is permanently resolved

Footpath are not built for vehicles to be parked and the OP did the right thing by reporting it to the authorities. If people justify parking on footpaths due to lack of parking space then the same set of people should be ok with pedestrians walking on roads and blocking traffic movement?

Quote:

Let me tell you the negative impact of your action & I myself was witness to whole circus, so it's a first hand account.

This is a brilliant example rl: rl:

So by this logic even the people who reported one Mr. Khan for driving his Land Cruiser over people sleeping on the footpath were wrong as their action would create a bigger negative impact if Mr. Khan goes to prison as that would dry up the revenue source for many who were dependent on his films.

The literate population of our country need to stop behaving like illiterates..

I am sure these idiots would shit bricks when asked to park on a footpath in US or Europe and will follow every rule in the book then..

Quote:

Originally Posted by stealthcraft22 (Post 5009823)
Now, as a law-enforcer, isn't this something which they should take care of? Or am I asking too much?

Anyway, the lesson I learnt was to not give up, and have faith in the system :).
Persistence is key :)

I have been in your shoes before but I am a reformed man now. It was wrong of me to be in full-on vigilante mode, sending my dashcam footage to police all the time on law-breaking motorists.

But we have to understand something first, without proper town-planning and zoning, our citizens are immediately put into disadvantaged positions. Life becomes hell for everyone concerned.

If a situation arises where people are forced to park helter-skelter, I ask myself these days - why is it happening? Does the existing infrastructure allow for the prevailing level of population/vehicles or not? Quite often, I get my answer and I end up moving on.

I live in RR Nagar, and I have heard the guys in the towing vehicle shouting at people to park on the footpath to avoid their vehicle being towed away. I wonder who gave them the authority to make such statements.

Quote:

I do NOT appreciate your action at all.

I have no respect for you or your action here.

While I understand that the experience you had, the scene that must've unfolded infront of you must've been jarring, your reply to OP seems like you've completely lost objectivity.

Want to place blame? Let's begin.

- Why didn't the family member carry all the cash they might need from the get go, while visiting the hospital?

- The policeman. He's a public servant. Why didn't he serve the man who needed to get to the hospital?

- Why did the hospital delay the surgery? Why wasn't goodwill established beforehand that they will receive the money on time- to begin the surgery as and when ready.

- Are you even sure that it was the delay that caused the death and not a complication or negligence? Maybe there was hardly a chance of survival from the get go.

- Why didn't YOU or anyone else jump into action sooner? An hour watching a man plead for a booted car? Why didn't you call him a taxi within 30 seconds of you understanding what was going down infront of you?

It's reactions like yours that cause good samaritans shy away from "doing the right thing". Haven't you noticed the EVERYONE you encounter on the road is ALWAYS in a hurry?

Everyone has their own version of an "emergency".

If they don't, they'll snipe back at you and make one up or ask you to mind your own.

Keep an attitude like yours, let people do what they want whenever they want, all because "it's an emergency" and the real events will get lost among the flood of made up ones and everyone ends up a loser.

I missed to mention one important thing in my post & that is that the cars were NOT parked on footpath but on the road & in haphazard manner. Nevertheless parking is not allowed on this road.

I am not sure about Bengaluru but when Mumbai encountered footpath parking issue, the BMC found novel way of installing these steel barriers. The problem in Mumbai was more acute as bikers used the footpath as road, when caught in traffic jams.
https://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/...w/22591465.cms
Parking on footpaths in Bangalore - Here's what I did-sbbmc.jpg

The matter of footpath is very acute in every city, whether big or the smallest but not because of ONLY 4 wheelers.
The number of hawkers occupying footpath is 1000 times more than footpaths occupied by 4-wheelers. But will you take any action against hawkers? NO & WHY, because even you or your family buys their daily grocery from them & so why inconvenience the whole population.
God forbid that they find out that you were reason for their misery and as DIESELTUNED mentioned; you will find that only you are on wrong side of law & all of these law breakers on the right side of it.

The OP may have won the battle for that one day but he would/will lose the war. Since one of the member 'Jaguar' is from that neighbourhood, I will request him to post the photo of same footpath today or in coming week. The menace would be BACK & in full glory.

I do not justify footpath parking but my mentor once told me that if you are looking for a solution for a problem ensure that solution is permanent.

I rest my case.

Rgds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singh101 (Post 5010309)
While I understand that the experience you had...

While I understand that the experience you had, the scene that must've unfolded in front of you must've been jarring, your reply to OP seems like you've completely lost objectivity.
- In so many responses, I am only replying to yours because I can see that its written with a 'CERTAIN' intent.

- Why didn't the family member carry all the cash they might need from the get go, while visiting the hospital?
- Sorry to disappoint you Sir, but I will ensure that if my family member were to meet with an accident, he shall inform me in advance. Can you even hear (rather READ) here yourself.

- The policeman. He's a public servant. Why didn't he serve the man who needed to get to the hospital?
- Let me mention here that traffic cop, did his best to help but by that time the towing trucks had left & he did not have that key. Rather he was the one who asked us to arrange taxi/auto for our society member.

- Why did the hospital delay the surgery? Why wasn't goodwill established beforehand that they will receive the money on time- to begin the surgery as and when ready.
- It seems you have never been to a hospital for an emergency & I pray that you never have to, but let me tell you that hospitals are one of the most insensitive places.
An example is and am sure that you are NOT aware of it is that even in accidental cases, many hospitals sought RT-PCR negative report during the pandemic period. I hope you are aware that RT-PCR report use to take 48 hours, though now it takes less than 24 hours.

- Are you even sure that it was the delay that caused the death and not a complication or negligence? Maybe there was hardly a chance of survival from the get go.
- Yes, because I was the one of the society members who went to claim the body next day. The deceased had lost lots of blood which the hospital did provide but after a certain amount they had to procure it from outside & hence the need for money from bank. Hospital also asked the deceased's family members to replace the amount of administered blood through donations.

- Why didn't YOU or anyone else jump into action sooner? An hour watching a man plead for a booted car? Why didn't you call him a taxi within 30 seconds of you understanding what was going down in front of you?
- Yes, there was delay & in the commotion when the cop was talking to his towing van & all were under impression that it will come back immediately. Buy yes we lost precious time over there & I will NOT deny that fact.

It's reactions like yours that cause good samaritans shy away from "doing the right thing". Haven't you noticed the EVERYONE you encounter on the road is ALWAYS in a hurry?
- Oh Really, try moving the bigger footpath occupying menace called hawkers of your area & let them know that you did it because you want to be good samaritan. You will find for yourself.

Everyone has their own version of an "emergency".
- Lose a dear family member or your child & come back and read this sentence again

If they don't, they'll snipe back at you and make one up or ask you to mind your own.

Keep an attitude like yours, let people do what they want whenever they want, all because "it's an emergency" and the real events will get lost among the flood of made up ones and everyone ends up a loser.
- I am sorry that I cannot come up to your expectations but ATTITUDE is to find permanent solution & not slap stick one.

Rgds.

In Dubai/Singapore if you park like this, you're finished. Finito. It's highly improbable that you will see your vehicle ever again, plus a jail sentence. Sit and cry over there. Law is really hard, and it also doesn't mean residents of these countries don't have emergencies. They obey the laws, and whatever the situation - they don't cross the line. Here, people act like a footpath is 'no-mans land' and can be dealt with as deemed fit. If caught in a tight corner, spew some sob story or release a few bucks - you can escape. I believe the OP did the right thing, and we must back him to the hilt, on this
Quote:

Originally Posted by Singh101 (Post 5010309)
While I understand that the experience you had, the scene that must've unfolded in front of you must've been jarring, your reply to OP seems like you've completely lost objectivity

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariesonu (Post 5010339)
I can see that its written with a 'CERTAIN' intent.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood at first. I thought you meant about your "certain" intent while bashing OP in your initial reply for doing the right thing for reasons that don't apply to 99.99 percent of situations.

Quote:

Sorry to disappoint you Sir, but I will ensure that if my family member were to meet with an accident, he shall inform me in advance. Can you even hear (rather READ) here yourself.

Nowhere did you mention it was an emergency visit to the hospital and not a scheduled one. I did not make that assumption. I suppose I should've considered that possibility.

Quote:

It seems you have never been to a hospital.

Hospitals are one of the most insensitive places.

An example is and am sure that you are NOT aware of it is that even in accidental cases, many hospitals sought RT-PCR negative report during the pandemic period. I hope you are aware that RT-PCR report use to take 48 hours, though now it takes less than 24 hours.

You feel comfortable making that assumption about me, stranger? I personally wouldn't.

Quote:

The deceased had lost lots of blood which the hospital did provide but after a certain amount they had to procure it from outside & hence the need for money from bank.

Establishing goodwill is a personal skill. It can be difficult depending on the size of the medical institution but not impossible.

Quote:

But yes we lost precious time over there & I will NOT deny that fact.

Finally a semblance of personal responsibility.

Quote:

Oh Really, try moving the bigger footpath occupying menace called hawkers of your area & let them know that you did it because you want to be good samaritan. You will find for yourself.

That sounds like a secondary threat of violence via angry hawkers. You say that like said good samaritan would be deserving of it.

Personally, I know of only one woman, an ex employee who has a street food cart. She though has her papers, a licence from GMC, permission from the local police station and an alloted slot to park her cart. Ideally, I would strive for that kind of arrangement for all hawkers and small vendors, designated grounds for farmer's markets and such but you seem happy with the things as they are, no matter the consequences or inconveniences. "Yeh India hai, yahaan aisa hi hota hai", correct?

Oh well, to each their own I guess.

Quote:

Lose a dear family member or your child & come back and read this sentence again.

Again, a strong, baseless assumption that I haven't.

Quote:

Let me tell you the negative impact of your action & I myself was witness to whole circus, so it's a first hand account.

I hope others can understand that you've seen a completely different incident at a different time, your manner of writing made it confusing initially.

As far as I'm concerned, here's what I feel :

Parking on footpath : NO

Wheel locking punishment : NO, either tow safely, or register a ticket for wrong parking or a more stringent footpath parking violation for about Rs. 5000/-.

India should understand that reasonable rules such as that of road, are not negotiable, not adjustible and not judaadable. Leave the blessed footpath alone, no 2 wheelers, no 4 wheelers, no gutka spitting, no hawking, no panhandling, no squatting, no urinating, ENOUGH!! Walk on it and nothing else, the opposite of reality.

This particular action was well warranted, I endorse it.

while what you did is commendable and I support your action...I think this is only the tip of the iceberg. Also, in our country, perhaps, everyone is out to make money from people who can afford cars (through fines and challans for myriad reasons). A big example of this is the sudden drive to have HSRPs in place for four wheelers but not for two wheelers or tractors even though they are often used for commercial purposes.

The safety of pedestrians is equally compromised due to -
a) Footpath vendors and shopkeepers encroaching upon the footpaths to showcase their wares. Several complaints have been made by me but unfortunately no action by police

b) Bungalows encroaching upon the footpaths to create their gardens and a cabin for the security guard. Very common but enforcement is rare. I have made so many complaints to the municipal corporations and even cited supreme court judgements but they rarely take action

c) slum dwellings that come up on footpaths. Our politicians will actually go out of their way to preserve the 'right' of such people to occupy the footpath as they are poor.

Without taking action uniformly, it just becomes an action against a vulnerable culprit. What may happen next is that the cars vacate that space and footpath vendors encroach upon it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dark.knight (Post 5010391)

This particular action was well warranted, I endorse it.

I too support the OP. But I can see how it is being seen as wrong:
1. First parking on the footpath is GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) and so is parking haphazardly blocking all traffic because we have scant regard for others - and this is very reasonable because others do unto me as I do unto them
2. Rules are suddenly applied out of the blue to a few unfortunate souls - seems really really unfair!
3. "What about" other rules and those flouting those "other rules", they get away with it?! How very very UNFAIR! :mad:

And now here comes OP, bada aayaa, upsetting the status quo and messing up the peaceful life of the locals with his "phoren" attitude and trying to "reform" the entire nation.

The biggest problem here is that the police and the laws are seen as something imposed on us by some arrogant overbearing power that has nothing to do with us and is not representative of our collective interests.

The next big problem is that this arrogant power did not make arrangements for parking our vehicles after charging us parking cess for decades and is totally unsympathetic to our plight - clearly seen in the attitude of the police that is bent on towing away the vehicles without the slightest concern for the citizens.

Should the arrogant power not be taken to task for charging a parking cess and therefore be limited to moving the vehicles a parking slot nearby? I don't take my car these days to any place where I am sure I will have a hard time finding a parking spot; the problem now is that I can't even take my two wheeler to the same area and find a parking spot, or a spot even within a reasonable walking distance of the same area! Clearly, this arrogant power has reneged on its contract to provide us parking space after collecting money from us for this very purpose.

So to make everyone happy and tackle this problem in a holistic manner, the OP MUST file a case against the police, the government, the authorities that allowed commercial establishment, the authorities that failed to provide parking space, the authorities for not keeping the footpaths clear and the arrogant power for their arrogance and their inability to connect with the ordinary people and make them understand that the law here is meant to serve the people. Quite a tall order rl:

Why is the footpath not higher than the road:Frustrati. This might be the first time I am seeing a footpath right at the level of the road.
However elevating the footpath simply means cars cannot get on to the footpath, does not solve anything for the roadside parking. But pedestrians will be happier, and so will the roadside hawkers who can encroach that footpathrl:

The short term solution of penalising the parking offenders may be good. But we should understand that the corporation / bbmp + the town planning authority have the responsibility to make provision for public parking at all public space, whether free or paid.

Corporations not provisioning parking and going for parking permit or penalising parking on roads by installing no parking signs when space is available, is viewed as escaping the responsibility.

Definitely quality of life is degraded with just penalties everywhere.

If parking provision is made but still yet citizens violate then demanding penalties makes good sense for sure.