Team-BHP - Parking on footpaths in Bangalore - Here's what I did
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Parking on footpaths in Bangalore - Here's what I did (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/233777-parking-footpaths-bangalore-heres-what-i-did-3.html)

No one has right to violate the laws, and foot path parking is not allowed. How ever I am not interested in the concept of towing away of vehicle or locking the wheels as a punishment. Let them paste the Fine challan slip on the wind shield and let the violators pay for it. And now since its all computerized, let repeat offenders have a substantially higher fine.

Many a times, towing scratches the bumper or even dislodges bumpers/ parts and we can't complain or do anything about it, plus our precious time getting wasted running to police station and paying of fine, etc.

May be the OP wanted offenders not to repeat and also get punished for their "sins".

Quote:

Originally Posted by puneetakhouri (Post 5010499)
Why is the footpath not higher than the road:Frustrati. This might be the first time I am seeing a footpath right at the level of the road.
However elevating the footpath simply means cars cannot get on to the footpath, does not solve anything for the roadside parking.

Where there is a will, there is a Way !lol:
Parking on footpaths in Bangalore - Here's what I did-footpath-parking.png
P.S:Parking in such a fashion is illegal and I do not endorse it.
Source:http://cms.newindianexpress.com/citi...h-1996793.html

Although i understand everyone's concern about footpath parking, whose fault is it really?
It's not the fault of the people parking there but, the respective MCD and town planning department. Why isn't there enough parking to deal with? If you hate footpath parking, New Delhi will be a nightmare for you. Footpath parking is many a time a permanent parking spot for vehicle owners (in front of their homes). Even i used to do this. Simply because there are no parking facilities. In the 10+ years of people parking their cars on footpath's never once did even one guy get a challan. Do you know why? Because it isn't possible to park your car anywhere else. And this was in one of the strictest areas in New Delhi (in front of Tihar Jail).

The blame lies with civic authorities for not being able or not paying attention to such issue. Few days back, i went to Chandni Chowk and had to go to 3 different parkings just to get a spot and, where i did find a spot was a 3 level parking that was jammed up with traffic moving in and out. People were waiting to spots to get empty causing a jam. Parking my car wasted 70 minutes of my time add to that the 20 minutes of travel time i had to waste
. In such cases, if one parks on a footpath it is not his fault but the Municipal departments. Heck, sometimes when i go to Chandni Chowk, i'll happily pay a 500 rupee challan to park my vehicle on the footpath which i save at least 80 minutes of my time.

MCD delhi is working to fix these issues, they built an automated multi level parking in Green park due to which street parking has reduced but is still there. Simply the population is too dense to handle all this traffic and our infrastructure is not made thinking 10 or 20 years ahead of our time.

In areas with ample parking, what you did is good. But in a city like Bangalore overloaded with cars, same as Delhi, this is nothing but a ego trip.

No one wants to park on a footpath or a road but, what do you do when you have no option?

Though I appreciate your action. You are only solving one half of the problem.

Not everyone “wantedly” parks on footpath. If there was a viable parking area I am sure many ( not all) would park correctly.

But the real culprits “ town planning commission/BBMP”, who create this mess by no planning go scot free.

To all those saying there is "no place to park, that's why we park on the footpath" even if the city provides x spaces, the x+1 vehicle that comes there can make the same excuse, right? The city doesn't provide enough public toilets too, correct? In fact, I'm sure that that there are more public parking spaces than public toilets in Bangalore! So let's all just...on the roads, right? (Enough people already do anyway.)

Like someone else already posted, would these guys dare park like this in Singapore or any of the other places where no-parking really means 'No Parking', no matter who your father is?! :) Or where you can't escape with a small fine/bribe that really doesn't dent your wallet? (I've seen a Ferrari squeezed into an alley in downtown Singapore, obviously really far from where the owner actually wanted to go just because there is really no parking to be had in that area.)

These arguments are just excuses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariesonu (Post 5009940)
I do NOT appreciate your action at all & it seems more of an EGO trip because if you want permanent solution then go there everyday & keep doing it till the parking menace is permanently resolved.

Let me tell you the negative impact of your action & I myself was witness to whole circus, so it's a first hand account.

I am in total disagreement with you.
With hospital would as for “cash” payment before treating a critical patient? And let them die because the payment was made late?
I have been associated with over half a dozen hospitals in Bombay, both government and private, and can guarantee that none would do such a thing.
Besides, did the person who was paying not have credit/ debit cards/ Internet banking? Did they have to park illegally to get cash from a bank (and not even an ATM, which every medium sized hospital would have)?
End why waste an hour arguing with the traffic warden rather than just take a cab?

Everyone who breaks the law would have some excuse. Even those who commit the most serious of offences.

If some people can pay hefty parking charges (to their societies or to BMC) to park their vehicles, I think the rest should too; or take public transport.

I fully agree with what the OP has done.

I personally feel while it starts with lack of parking infrastructure, but has a lot to do with people not wanting to walk even a bit. Whether they go to a mall, shop or even a pan wallah, everyone wants to park right next or front of the place. No one wants to find an empty non intrusive slot nearby. Result (HSR being case in point), people parking almost at 30% of the road width.
I make sure I park in the dedicated parallel parking slots or find a non intrusive spot in a lane nearby atleast even if I have to walk a few hundred meters. Sometimes to the dislike of my family, but I have made it a point. If people try to be even 10% considerate to others, even the current situation can be slightly palatable.

Quote:

"Instead, powerless individuals blamed other powerless individuals for what they lacked. Sometimes they tried to destroy one another. Sometimes, like Fatima, they destroyed themselves in the process. When they were fortunate, like Asha, they improved their lots by beggaring the life chances of other poor people." - Katherine Boo, Behind the beautiful forevers
Astonished at the responses. We should be unanimously condemning the government, the police and our representatives. How many of us would keep these freeloaders in our employment?

Quote:

Originally Posted by am1m (Post 5010567)
To all those saying there is "no place to park, that's why we park on the footpath" even if the city provides x spaces, the x+1 vehicle that comes there can make the same excuse, right? The city doesn't provide enough public toilets too, correct? In fact, I'm sure that that there are more public parking spaces than public toilets in Bangalore! So let's all just...on the roads, right? (Enough people already do anyway.)

Like someone else already posted, would these guys dare park like this in Singapore or any of the other places where no-parking really means 'No Parking', no matter who your father is?! :) Or where you can't escape with a small fine/bribe that really doesn't dent your wallet? (I've seen a Ferrari squeezed into an alley in downtown Singapore, obviously really far from where the owner actually wanted to go just because there is really no parking to be had in that area.)

These arguments are just excuses.

You know somewhere deep down i agree, i never like parking in such places as it makes me car open to dings and scratches. I usually like to park far away but, 10 minutes? 20 minutes is the maximum i can spare. Not more than an hour. I usually don't park on footpaths. There are only 3 locations where i do so, first 2 are my houses in the heart of Delhi and the other is Purani Dilli. I'm forced to park here. Know why? The interior lanes of the society can't even fit most large cars because cars are already parked tightly. No other option than the footpath to park your vehicles.

I have heard nowadays traffic police is clicking pictures of 4 wheelers parked at no parking zones instead of clamping them. Well this is Navi Mumbai(Vashi) I'm talking about. Isn't this the best option since the tech is there?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schneller (Post 5010605)
I'm forced to park here. No other option than the footpath to park your vehicles.

Sorry man, I hear you and I too agree that the parking situation in our cities is pathetic. And certainly the government and civic authorities are to blame. But doing something wrong in response to something wrong makes the situation worse not better.

Is parking on the footpath illegal? Yes. Does it cause inconvenience to pedestrians? Yes. Would you do it in a country where enforcement is really strict, and immediate not just a 500-rupee fine, and that too not always? I think you will have the answer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by am1m (Post 5010612)
Sorry man, I hear you and I too agree that the parking situation in our cities is pathetic. And certainly the government and civic authorities are to blame. But doing something wrong in response to something wrong makes the situation worse not better.

Is parking on the footpath illegal? Yes. Does it cause inconvenience to pedestrians? Yes. Would you do it in a country where enforcement is really strict, not just a 500-rupee fine? I think you will have the answer.

Well I obviously wouldn’t if the damage was higer clap: but on the flip side, in these countries, you usually have organised parking available. NYC and Singapore do aswell although they are expensive AS HELL. But, honestly you wouldn’t have to be in a situation wherein you’d need to travel more than 10-20 minutes from your car by foot in any of these countries. In Bangladesh, there is no footpath parking because, street parking is legal and streets have been built keeping that in mind

Quote:

Originally Posted by locusjag (Post 5010301)
I have been in your shoes before

I'm glad that you have done something like this at some point in your life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by locusjag (Post 5010301)
If a situation arises where people are forced to park helter-skelter, I ask myself these days - why is it happening? Does the existing infrastructure allow for the prevailing level of population/vehicles or not?

No one is "forced" to park. I can understand that if it's an emergency or someone wants to make a quick trip to the ATM (3-ish minutes), the vehicle will move away in short time. But if someone plans to go to a place where there's no parking, and still drives there, guess who's at fault. Again, these people were chilling at "Chai Point" with their laptops and I did not see any emergency there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariesonu (Post 5010315)
But will you take any action against hawkers? NO & WHY, because even you or your family buys their daily grocery from them.
try moving the bigger footpath occupying menace called hawkers of your area.

Yes, I'll just assume that there are hawkers in this area because you said so.

Quote:

The OP may have won the battle for that one day but he would/will lose the war.

That doesn't mean I'll do nothing.

Quote:

I am sorry that I cannot come up to your expectations but ATTITUDE is to find permanent solution & not slap stick one.

What is the permanent solution you speak of? I assume you mean everyone from the ground up in the machinery doing their job.
I'll hop in the pessimist boat with you for a moment and tell you that it's not going to change overnight. Maybe not even in 10, 20 or 50 years. Maybe never. But what does that mean? I forgo my rights and not even put up a fight? I may not be able to stop everyone from parking on footpaths, but these 7-8 people are not going to do it in foreseeable future. Hell, I'd pay them myself for not to do it, but that's just a frivolous take.

Quote:

Originally Posted by interest (Post 5010453)
Without taking action uniformly, it just becomes an action against a vulnerable culprit. What may happen next is that the cars vacate that space and footpath vendors encroach upon it.

Well, let's just say everyone one wants their neighbor to be Bhagat Singh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvadg (Post 5010479)
And now here comes OP, bada aayaa, upsetting the status quo and messing up the peaceful life of the locals with his "phoren" attitude and trying to "reform" the entire nation.

So to make everyone happy and tackle this problem in a holistic manner, the OP MUST file a case against the police, the government, the authorities that allowed commercial establishment, the authorities that failed to provide parking space, the authorities for not keeping the footpaths clear and the arrogant power for their arrogance and their inability to connect with the ordinary people and make them understand that the law here is meant to serve the people. Quite a tall order rl:

I get that a lot - both of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schneller (Post 5010556)
No one wants to park on a footpath or a road but, what do you do when you have no option?

Not driving a car to a place where there's no parking seems like a very feasible option to me. It isn't that hard to do either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tucker48 (Post 5010609)
I have heard nowadays traffic police is clicking pictures of 4 wheelers parked at no parking zones instead of clamping them. Well this is Navi Mumbai(Vashi) I'm talking about. Isn't this the best option since the tech is there?

Yup! Same case in Delhi. They take a photo and upload, a few hours later you get a text message in a similar fashion as stated below.

Quote:

Vehicle No. DL10XXXXX (40184XXX) found OVER SPEED (LIGHT MOTOR VEHICLE) at MG ROAD NR ARGANGARH METRO STATION, FROM MEHRAULI TO GURGAON on 16/01/2021 at 20:56. Details may be viewed at https://delhitrafficpolice.nic.in/no...e/ZXXXXXXXXXOR https://delhitrafficpolice.nic.in/notice/pay-notice/ Delhi Traffic Police

Quote:

Originally Posted by stealthcraft22 (Post 5009823)
Today I went out to run an errand in the neighborhood and while driving

Hello boss, I'm in no way judging your efforts, but I'm waiting for the day to see your post here on your action against a car parked something similar like this (any car is ok, but the political flag is important)

Parking on footpaths in Bangalore - Here's what I did-d1b1ykmu0aah6ox1.jpg

And that day...my friend...you're into a whole new game & :thumbs up to you