Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2021, 08:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kerala Govt makes interior decorations hampering visibility illegal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Windshield obstruction laws are not new, it is quite popular in other countries. IMO, it should not be a big concern if the obstruction is minimal.
Recently read stories from Australia about people getting pulled over for hanging face masks under rear view mirror. It was triggered after an incident of a driver not noticing a pedestrian when turning left as the 3 masks that were hung from RVM completely blocking the drivers view.
arjithin is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 09:25   #17
BHPian

I think both the central and state government must first bring a strict law for illegal modifications done by private car owners viz installation of red and blue flashing lights concealed in bumper or windscreen, white led blink lights in the rear bumper which flashes and blinds drivers behind, pasting army, police, press stickers, installation of super loud horn and any other illegal exterior mods or decorations.

The above rule of interior decorations can be taken for granted by cops and even if a simple mobile holder is on the dashboard or windshield a illiterate cop can make a big deal out of it and impose a penalty.
Old 9th March 2021, 10:57   #18
BHPian

I wish they start practicing this MLA, Government of Kerala, Local Body designation.. stickers
MVD in Kerala is on a roll after drive against wheel modification and people started getting back to stock conditions.

Probably to keep the challan incomes at the 'directed' rates
Leem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 13:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4J View Post
What about dashcameras? Could this be termed as an obstruction on both front and rear windshield.
In many countries, dashcams are illegal when put on the windshield.
They are called "dash" cams and are ideally supposed to be on the dashboard

LINK : https://www.lifewire.com/are-dash-cams-legal-534879
Old 9th March 2021, 13:39   #20
BHPian

The use of too many stickers on the rear glass should also be banned. With the rear glass getting smaller and smaller in most cars,it sure does hamper visibility. Even over zealous teambhp members are guilty of this, I see cars with 'got bhp',' i drive safe', 'live to drive' etc teambhp stickers pasted all over the rear glass and even on windshields

I removed my 'got bhp?' sticker within a month from the rear glass as it obstructed view.
saion666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 13:43   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Perhaps the 'Hoonigan' styled sticker on the front windshield is the trigger for this, some of them were really big and does obstruct vision.

There is a thread about this .https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...new-trend.html (Sticker on the front windshield - New trend?)
Old 9th March 2021, 23:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonetraveller89 View Post
This place is HELL for an automotive enthusiast.
Not just for enthusiasts, but even the average Joe who struggles to make two ends meet is not spared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Kerala Govt unfortunately equates road safety to revenue generation.
This cannot be said more accurately.

Just posting two incidents here where Kerala MVD was hyperactive in one and passively supporting in another.

1) A local Theater / Drama group can was stopped by Kerala MVD, since the van had a small board advertising their contact details. The MVD officials climbed on board, measured it and slapped a fine of ~5k for unauthorized advertisement.

2) Auto rickshaws getting a makeover for upcoming elections. MVD is OK with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Kerala Govt makes interior decorations hampering visibility illegal!-redautotrivandrum1.jpg.image.845.440.jpg  

Kerala Govt makes interior decorations hampering visibility illegal!-capture.jpg  

maheshm619 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 23:58   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Over and above all, what will they get by defining these illegalities like owners can not place perfumes, god idols, fastag stickers etc. Just nitpicking like this will simply spoil their image in front of public.
Simple Answer: Money.
Whether this was suggested by someone with good intentions or not, the end result is always more fines for people and more money for the govt.

Traffic cops have monthly targets to fullfill, sometimes even category wise targets are there.

So they will grab any opportunity to fine people, unless ofcourse it becomes an inconvenience for the ruling class and their Innovas (that are conveniently missed during checks for bullbars, cooling films and curtains)

Last edited by ZenMaster : 9th March 2021 at 23:59. Reason: Typo
ZenMaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 09:56   #24

I feel this is another case of governments' enforcing some obscure and draconian law to fill in their lost income from last year. RTO officials in Kerala have been on a drive against private vehicles for quite some time now - they are fining people for stickers on their cars, minor parking mistakes, accessories etc. Their own vehicles are blatantly ignoring all rules!
Sometimes I just leave my car at home and take an auto or bus - only because I do not want to be caught due to some old law interpreted by the RTO officials as per their convenience to make money for the government. Hope other states do not take this as a clue to start their own drives
Old 10th March 2021, 10:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

Kerala Govt. then really need to see OLA/UBER plying in NCR area. These have HUGE almost multiple half A4 size paper size permits pasted on the front windshield along with RFID stickers & all. Some of them are in YELLOW & GREEN colors too.

Regards.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 10:19   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

I noticed severe checking happening at 3 different areas today morning (in & around the tech company space) and did see few taxis/travelers being checked. Could this be because of the tour operator's company stickers on the windshield?

They are pretty smart on choosing this area as there are numerous private tour operators who have rented out their vehicles to the tech companies.
Old 10th March 2021, 20:09   #27
Senior - BHPian

If they are doing it just to make a quick buck for their pocket/state, very smart. Due to Covid Lockdown losses, most states have resorted to newer methods to make money. I only hope the cops are lenient enough and not to harass users and fine even for small things like a 2-inch idol on the dashboard.

If not, this is a brilliant move. This anyways is common sense. As a saying goes, common sense is not so common these days.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 07:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

When I travel to my hometown Palakkad, I park my SCross (which has aftermarket Alloys but with stock tyres and aux lights) and use my dad's Alto k10 which is bone stock to the core, gives me complete peace of mind.
I never take out my car since I simply don't have the Intention to donate to the extortion racket going on.
rakesh_r is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks