Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2021, 13:15   #1
BHPian

Kerala Govt makes interior decorations hampering visibility illegal!

I came across this article today, wherein it is stated that Decorations inside cars obstructing the vision of the driver will not be allowed in Kerala. The government has directed the transport commissioner to take action against cars which carry such decorations.

What I can’t understand is that if any such decoration is hampering the view, would any sensible driver keep it there.
In any case this will be another reason for the cops to stop and fine, if someone has some trinket hanging on the rear view mirror holder.

https://english.mathrubhumi.com/news...rala-1.5493786

Mods. I could not find any appropriate thread, so if required kindly do needfull.
sparky@home is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 13:27   #2
BANNED

re: Kerala Govt makes interior decorations hampering visibility illegal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
obstructing the vision
Until there is a scale of the obstruction like %age of windscreen covered or anything else like that, clearly defined. This will be considered vague, and won't stand the scrutiny in a court for even a minute.

Someone simply needs to go to the court before the evil spoils the 'God's Own Country's tastefully modded vehicles with such vague laws.
VKumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 13:58   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

They should start with "soft" targets first, cars with pillows and teddy bears on rear parcel tray.
paragsachania is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 14:26   #4
BHPian

Windshield obstruction laws are not new, it is quite popular in other countries. IMO, it should not be a big concern if the obstruction is minimal.

More recently, even in Bangalore, cops have started fining cars with overloaded boot that obstructs rear view for example.

I personally like to keep the windshield with a clean view. For this reason, I have dismantled TV that used to hang on RVM and even moved office parking tag to the glove box. I meticulously remove reflective objects on the dash. It kind of makes driving a lot more peaceful.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 6th March 2021 at 14:28.
Thermodynamics is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 14:49   #5
BHPian

This again is a very good initiative but has implications and inconvenience written all over it.

Would the police also start to fine cars with parking stickers, dashcams etc. Those, although not decorative, also hamper the visbility to some extent. Mobile holders that are stuck on windscreen (cabs have them) would also fall in such catagory

O.T. would they challan the cars with fastags now?
88_TANK_88 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 14:59   #6
J4J
BHPian

I love my windshield to be clean. Currently I have fastag and color coded sticker on my windscreen.

What about dashcameras? Could this be termed as an obstruction on both front and rear windshield. Since this is not a required accessory, people can argue that it may obstruct view.
J4J is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 15:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

The bonnet of many modern cars are major obstructions to the drivers to see roads. The drivers can only see sky from windscreens of today's modern cars.

So, I humbly request the Government to remove the engine and bonnet of those cars and make the cars COMPLETELY LEGAL once and for all instead of making small and miscellaneous changes like this and legalizing the car inch by inch.

I don't really understand what is the actual intention of the government to take these stupid decisions. Already they have increased their revenues by introducing several types of taxes and continuously increasing them through fuel price hike, GSTs on sales, Taxes on imported parts, services tax, increase in fines on traffic violation, etc.

Over and above all, what will they get by defining these illegalities like owners can not place perfumes, god idols, fastag stickers etc. Just nitpicking like this will simply spoil their image in front of public.

Last edited by gkveda : 6th March 2021 at 15:21.
gkveda is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 17:43   #8
BHPian

Internal modifications? Illegal?
  • Any external modification other than OEM's? Illegal
  • Use of externally modified 4WDs for flood rescue/ relief missions? Legal
  • Politician's cars with bull-bars, tinted windows & stickers? Legal
  • Stickers? Illegal
  • Huge MVD stickers covering the bonnet, roof and where ever possible? Legal
  • Use of bluetooth headsets or listening to music while driving? Illegal
  • Use of blaring loudspeakers 24*7 during election campaigns? Legal
  • Horrible traffic control systems & pot-holed roads? Legal
  • Piss-poor maintenance of these roads? Legal
  • Strict collection of tolls for these roads? Legal
  • Extortion in the form of Road taxes, GST, Flood Cess, etc.? Legal
Mod's Own Country? Erase that! This place is HELL for an automotive enthusiast.
lonetraveller89 is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 20:21   #9
BHPian

I wonder what happens to the government vehicles adorned with "COVID-19 Emergency Service" & "Urgent Election Duty" A4 sheets stuck to the windshields :-), given it is the season for both these, the Govt can make a killing with the fines it can impose on itself :-)
whitewing is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 20:48   #10
BHPian

A welcome move.
Quote:
They should start with "soft" targets first, cars with pillows and teddy bears on rear parcel tray.
Much needed. Cluttered rear parcel trays and busy rear windows hinder the following driver from seeing through the front car which is quite helpful in anticipating and planning your moves on the road.
corvus corax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 22:10   #11
BANNED

The biggest issue I am facing while driving on Kerala roads, are the cars with closed ORVMs. This is seen especially in the top end models, where the driver can fold the ORVMs from inside and on the go. When asked about this, they would give the reason "I am scared if some other car would hit my ORVM". I have only one advice for these guys, park your car at home and take an auto/ola/uber. Wish government comes up with heavy fines for this menace.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th March 2021 at 07:06. Reason: advise > advice
pavi is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 22:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Kerala Govt unfortunately equates road safety to revenue generation. And that is the root of all these senseless policies or rules that pop up for the inconvenience of all it's citizens.

For example speed cameras (with ridiculously low limits) are placed in wide open roads having good visibility instead of accident prone zones. Why? To have a higher return of investment. One of the reasons why I believe common sense is priceless.
Turbohead is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 13:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

No internal decorations impairing visibility / compromising safety in cars safety

Came across this interesting news clip, which says the Kerala government will not allow any internal fitment in vehicle's which may potentially compromise the safety of vehicle occupants in case of a crash.

Link:
https://www.cartoq.com/car-decoration-interiors-banned/

Now, technically this is correct. But I guess one needs to have a list items that can be considered safe or unsafe. For example : many people fit dashcams nowadays which is very helpful in providing evidence to authorities / insurance companies in case of a crash. Most dashcams are mounted behind the IRVM and is an accessory which may or may not turn "loosen" in the event of a crash and "potentially" be an unsafe "fitment" . So, what does one do?

Also, will this be applicable for standard fitments too? The new Thar has a grab handle on passenger side which protrudes a fair bit. The Maruti Brezza has a seat-back "curry hook" which can hurt rear seat passengers in case of a crash.

Love to hear team members thoughts.
arjab is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 16:30   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonetraveller89 View Post
Internal modifications? Illegal?
  • Politician's cars with bull-bars, tinted windows & stickers? Legal
What about stickers on license plates that say "ARMY", "POLICE", "Government of...", etc, I think there should be a special quota assigned to a special squad - minimum 50 percent of general quota with enhanced fines based on the department, (10x?) which should be deducted from the salary of the department head, the driver and other employees. Funding for the department should be cut if there are repeat violations - imagine the impact on road discipline! But this will likely in reverse, but we can dream...
mvadg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 17:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kerala Govt makes interior decorations hampering visibility illegal!

Kerala Govt makes interior decorations hampering visibility illegal!-stuffed.jpg
I guess it is better to get rid of these stuff for health reasons too. Most of these toys, felt material things are dirt magnets. Basically a car's interior's are a good place for bacteria and other unwanted growth. Placing these kind of decorative things in the front as well as rear hampers proper cleaning too. On a personal note I feel these are bit cheap and that cars should be neat and clean.
TrackDay is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks