Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which type of driving do you enjoy?
Mostly in the city 4 1.06%
Mostly on the open highway 235 62.01%
I just enjoy driving, whether city or highway 139 36.68%
I do not enjoy driving 1 0.26%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2021, 15:22   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

City Driving vs Highway Driving | Which do you enjoy, and why?

All driving is not the same, and we learn more and more about it as we pile on the miles.

There are many among us who have never ventured beyond city limits; and there are those that mostly drive on the highways. A majority, though, are happy to make do with a mix of driving both in cities and highways. However, we each feel more comfortable driving in a certain environment, and there are pros and cons of driving in either.

City driving

City Driving vs Highway Driving | Which do you enjoy, and why?-city.jpg

Pros
• Lower speeds
• Shorter duration of drives
• Known / familiar roads (in most cases)
• Help always at hand in case of breakdown or crash
• Night driving not too difficult due to streetlights
• Traffic signals reduce chances of collisions

Cons
• Heavy traffic congestion often, with stressful stop-&-go driving
• Mixed traffic, both motorized and non-motorized, moving at different speeds
• Need to be alert for traffic signals
• Frequent bumps, potholes, barriers and obstructions
• Violation of traffic rules lead to penalties & challans more often
• Parking is often a problem at the destination

Highway driving

City Driving vs Highway Driving | Which do you enjoy, and why?-hiway.jpg

Pros
• Faster speeds on empty highways let you enjoy the power of your beloved car
• Less need to concentrate on other road users since they are mostly far away - enjoy the music instead
• Enjoy the beautiful countryside as you drive
• Stop anywhere if required (on most Indian highways)
• Wide variety of cheap eats at dhabas, with changing menu as you cross states
• Lower risk of being confronted by traffic police and fined

Cons
• Higher speeds = lower margin of error = bigger crashes
• Car breakdown or other emergency can leave you stranded without help at hand
• Empty highways can lead to boredom and dozing off = higher risk of accidents
• Long sessions behind the wheel can be tiresome
• Driving at night on highways can be terrifying for many
• Payment of toll can prove expensive

So which form of driving do you enjoy? Pottering around in the city, or cruising on the highway? Or do you just enjoy being behind the wheel, never mind the kind of roads that you need to traverse? Tell us why.
SS-Traveller is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 15:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: City Driving vs Highway Driving | Which do you enjoy, and why?

I just enjoy the driving. Does not matter whether it's highway or city driving. Its like asking a child, whether you like to play with brothers or sisters.

Both have its own share of enjoyment. Highway driving gives a pleasure of high speed, constant road monitoring, curves and scenic beauty, arrow straight roads, smooth ups and downs.it is relatively easy and can be compared to playing with sisters.(girls follow the rules, don't divert from the game while playing)

City driving teaches serious maneavors, sensitive turns and driving in small lanes without touching other obstacles, etc. This is a bit challenging and can be compared to playing with brothers.(Boys are more naughty, twists the rules of the game and easily cheats you while playing. So, it requires skills to tackle them)

So, both are equally enjoyable. But, all of it depends on how good and reliable your car is. If the car gets stranded in mid of a road, whether it is city or highway, it becomes a frustration

Last edited by gkveda : 6th March 2021 at 15:41.
gkveda is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 17:02   #3
BHPian

I love driving irrespective of city or highway. If there is good song, podcast or audiobook playing in the background, I would not mind getting stuck in a traffic jam as well.
Having said that, I absolutely hate getting out of my car or taking frequent stops once I am cocooned to the driver seat.
WhiteFang is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 17:13   #4
BHPian

Voted highway, but that is what I'd choose if there is both of these routes available to a destination (I get to drive on highways very rarely, unfortunately). That's when I can redline after all. Driving is always amazing, and each time behind the wheel is a revelation to me.

The type of road most definitely doesn't change my alertness though. I've learned that recklessness in the city can be carried forward onto the freeways, with probably more disastrous consequences just because of the greater speeds.
gusfring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 17:15   #5
BHPian

Voted highway driving.

While I do like like the opportunity to drive every day within the city, and pep it up with some music or conversations with my spouse during city drives, when it comes to enjoying the drive, highway driving takes the cake. While the former is mostly a commute, the latter brings sheer pleasure. It truly makes me live the saying that the journey is much important as reaching the destination!
FlashMustang is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 17:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

For the love of driving it's definitely Highway for me.
City drives are no more fun at all with ever increasing congestion and extremely bad conditions of the Bangalore roads and last but not the least the driving manners or rather the lack of it, for some of the nasty drivers and riders.
sridhar24 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 21:16   #7
BHPian

After a tense day at work, I definitely want to cruise on highway with pleasant songs in mild volume with windows down. But I hate the expressways where we don't have anything to do and just the sun shining too much!

I enjoy neatly laid state highways with little or no traffic, trees on both sides covering the road from harsh sunlight and enjoy the twisty roads. Apart from that, these roads offer a lot more places to stop and experience village atmosphere.
saikarthik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 22:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

It all depends on the traffic!

I don't mind the city if traffic is less. More than crowded cities, I hate crowded highways- especially during holiday season where all newbies are on the highway doing crazy things- including stopping in the middle of the road for checking out the local market.

Road users can make or break my highway trip. These days, I keep very low expectations about the traffic and on road behaviour to mentally prepare myself for crazy situations.

But if given a choice-good music, cold air and empty highways are my favourite.
Turbohead is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 22:12   #9
Team-BHP Support

If you do NOT enjoy driving within city limits, it means your car does not have one or more of these must haves:

- Automatic transmission
- Excellent music system (with favorite songs playlist, not radio junk)
- Feelsome and/or weighty steering (not superlight lifeless ones we see nowadays)
- Good ride quality
SmartCat is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 01:55   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Absolutely hate driving inside the city. Even with an automatic. I prefer to leave that for my driver. Highway drives continue to be enjoyable.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 02:13   #11
BHPian

Highways. I also love country roads.

City driving is a pain. 2 hours of city driving is more exhausting than a whole day of highway drive.
Thermodynamics is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 02:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Voted for highways. Just love switching on the cruise control on empty roads or playing around with paddleshifters when am in a mood. And of course the wide variety of eateries on highways help me feel really happy

With ever increasing nuisance of unruly road users its really becoming a pain driving inside city like Bangalore(am talking pre-covid here). I just hate impatient two wheelers/auto-rickshaws brushing you from the left. By far my biggest grudge. Thankfully the cvt and some good music helps me keep my calm after a long day of work. Earlier in manual car I used to feel like returning from a fist fight every evening after negotiating such traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
If you do NOT enjoy driving within city limits, it means your car does not have one or more of these must haves:

- Automatic transmission
- Excellent music system (with favorite songs playlist, not radio junk)
- Feelsome and/or weighty steering (not superlight lifeless ones we see nowadays)
- Good ride quality
Have to disagree. Mine has all of this (at least as per my needs) and I still hate driving inside city during office hours. Reason I mentioned above.

Last edited by SoumenD : 7th March 2021 at 02:27.
SoumenD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 06:39   #13
BHPian

I just love driving. It does not matter whether it is city or highway. If I am not feeling good, my spouse would suggest going for a drive to pep up my mood.
Simhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 08:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

I love highways driving. I hate city driving, and yes, you can tell I’m residing at Bangalore.

Highways driving for me is therepy. It’s my stress buster. It’s the place that the family ‘converse’ with each other. It’s like always looking forward to the next accidental pit stop/ a great coffee, a stranger you meet or lets just say, anything good or interesting that you hadn’t planned for.
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 09:16   #15
BHPian

Voted BOTH.

The thing is that my part of the country doesn't have much difference between city roads and national highways (they both suck, no offence to CG people) barring the Mumbai-Kolkata highway. With sparse traffic and twisty roads the drive is as enjoyable on the state/national highways as it is within the city limits.

Hope the scenario changes for good one day, would love to get on the well laid roads like Telangana and KA.
Abhi5868 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks