Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2021, 12:32   #16
BHPian

Re: Dilemma! My hometown is between 2 toll booths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
  • Two adjoining sections constructed at a different time in separate contracts having a length of less than 60 km may have the fee plazas within 60 km.
[/indent]
This is the catch here. The section from BC Road to Surathkal was developed by IRCON. Whereas the NH 66 Section was developed by Navayuga. Hence we get 4 tolls which are not following this rule.

Dilemma! My hometown is between 2 toll booths-1.png

Dilemma! My hometown is between 2 toll booths-2.png

Name:  3.PNG
Views: 1464
Size:  85.4 KB

Name:  4.PNG
Views: 1392
Size:  92.5 KB

Surathkal toll plaza does not collect toll from ka19 registered cars, whereas hejamadi and talapadi collect toll from all vehicles except those registered within 5 km range of the toll gate.
Thumbe (BC Road) toll works in its own way. If your luck is good you may be exempted from paying toll by flashing the lights and 2 light honks
Old 24th March 2021, 13:33   #17
BHPian

Hi,
As I understand if your vehicle is not locally registered to claim free toll pass, you must have a proof of residence within a stipulated range of the the toll plaza to claim free toll pass. I am a regular user of NHAI toll plaza's on NH4 and I see many local people moving freely with an address ID irrespective of the vehicle registration RTO. Maybe you should contact the toll plaza guys to know more.
Pkumarblore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 14:39   #18

Hi,

When your toll booth is located close to the home, which is less than 10km, you can get a local monthly pass (Same process as Monthly pass you were talking about, but the cost would be just 150 Per month.)

I bought by car in Karnataka (KA51) and now I am living in my home town (Tamil Nadu) due to Covid WFH. My home is located near the Toll gate (4 kms). I just took a copy of the Vehicle RC book (Karnataka Address) and My Aadhar card (Local Address) and got exemption in my Fasttag. Next time, when I tried to renew using the NHAI site, it showed me Rs1800. For this you need to go again to the Toll Gate office and let them know. They will change it to Local Monthly pass.
Old 24th March 2021, 15:02   #19
BHPian

Quote:
This is the catch here. The section from BC Road to Surathkal was developed by IRCON. Whereas the NH 66 Section was developed by Navayuga. Hence we get 4 tolls which are not following this rule.
This is exactly why we have 4 toll booth to enter Mangalore.
Dilemma! My hometown is between 2 toll booths-toll.png
If 60Km is minimum distance then Hezamadi - Sasthan is also violating the rule.
Dilemma! My hometown is between 2 toll booths-toll2.png
Shamegz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 15:03   #20
BHPian

I am from Karkala and my wife is from Mangalore. So everytime we visit our hometown(s), we have to make multiple trips between these toll booths

When these toll booths started, I used to just talk in Tulu & they used to let me go without toll (My car is Bangalore registered as I live here). Later they replaced most of the attendants to non-local people who don't understand Tulu but then I used to get exemption in Hejamadi toll showing my DL which has Karkala address & I had to pay in Suratkal.

Since around last 2 years, they are not considering the DL adress proof at Hejamadi and I have to pay toll in both the toll booths. At present, KA19 vehicles get exemption in Suratkal toll without local pass (if you just take the last lane) whereas KA20 vehicles don't get exemption in Hejamadi without the local pass.

Last edited by DheerajNK : 24th March 2021 at 15:06.
Old 24th March 2021, 15:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:
As I understand if your vehicle is not locally registered to claim free toll pass, you must have a proof of residence within a stipulated range of the the toll plaza to claim free toll pass.
I have adhar/Ration card/Driving license with this address , but Toll booth attendants don't budge for this. All they see is Vehicle number plate and that is it, with fastag this becomes even more difficult.

What other can be considered as proof of address for this case ?
Anyone tried this method ?
Old 24th March 2021, 15:43   #22
BHPian

I believe you can provide your address proof like driving license or Aadhaar which shows you stay in the vicinity of the toll area. My friend usually shows his License proof only, irrespective of the car registration. The toll attendant usually confirms the face in the ID and in the car to allow.

But please do check if the toll gets automatically deducted from your Fastag.

On the other hand, I heard that there is an exemption fastag also for vehicles which need not pay tolls. Like government vehicles, defense etc. So basically this fastag is to automatically record instead of the toll attendant manually doing it. Do reach out to your nearest tolls and confirm the same.
Old 24th March 2021, 16:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamegz View Post
I have adhar/Ration card/Driving license with this address , but Toll booth attendants don't budge for this. All they see is Vehicle number plate and that is it, with fastag this becomes even more difficult.

What other can be considered as proof of address for this case ?
?
I can understand how irritating it is to reason with the toll guys. It can become unruly sometimes.
You may have to seek some "local influential" help to get this toll free pass or monthly. Before that try to contact the Toll Plaza Senior Managers'. There could be some good guy who can guide you. I read somewhere above about a TBHP member posting the procedure on how to get the monthly pass.

Last edited by Pkumarblore : 24th March 2021 at 16:24.
Old 24th March 2021, 16:27   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
This seems like the toll boths are not following the rules. As per NHAI 2008 rules, minimum distance between toll gates should be 60km.

The other place I have seen this violated is the Omalur-Salem toll gate and Sankagiri toll gate.

Refer here - https://tis.nhai.gov.in/faq?language=en
[indent]As per the fee rules 2008 the spacing between two adjacent toll plazas should be 60 km.
Then almost all tolls near Bangalore violate this rule blatantly but who will listen to our voices and respond.

The rule also says that there shouldn't be any toll booth within 10-20km of a municipality (Bangalore is a tier-1 city)

List of tolls which violate:
1.Hoskote toll: 10km from K.R. Puram
2.Electronic City flyover:within the city and Attibele toll is 15 km from here. Again clear violation
3. Peenya flyover toll
4.Nelamangala toll and 2 more till Tumkur. So total of 3 tolls within 70km. This is a blatant violation
5.Nelamangala-Hassan highway( here as soon as you cross nelamagala town, there's a toll and thereafter every 45kms)

Thousands of vehicles pass through these roads everyday and their cumulative revenue for a day can help sustain an entire ward if one does the math.

If an honest and a diligent government servant do their duty, he or she gets transferred. Even though we're aware of these gaps in the system, we as commoners cannot deal with these unscrupulous people who decide these tolls. It's better to pay up and let it go than voice out and get harrased all our life or in worst case get killed. It's not worth fighting at the cost of our life. The system needs to change in order for the gaps to be filled.

PS: This is my personal view and I don't intend to offend anyone. It's better we understand the reality and move on.

Last edited by jithin23 : 24th March 2021 at 16:29.
jithin23 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 16:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I doubt KA19 get free in Suratkal either.
Yes, we do. Earlier this month, I went through the Suratkal toll gate through the left most free passage lane in my KA-19 registered car. I wasn't stopped , nor was my was my Fastag ac debited(both ways).
Old 24th March 2021, 19:06   #26
BHPian

Quote:
I can understand how irritating it is to reason with the toll guys. It can become unruly sometimes.
You are right, it was always unruly.

During initial days Toll booth attendants were ok and used to allow us after much arguments.
Then came 2019 Lok sabha election ; absolute bliss no questions asked . You go to last lane display any card they will let you free in both tolls.
In May 2019 abrupt change in behavior (I am still in election mood) no concession whatsoever , even if road gets block toll booth attendees bully us and make us pay toll fee.
From that point onwards I never went to argue with them simply paid toll whenever it was must to use this road.
Now with fastag everything is contact less pay or don't use that's it (blacklist then pay double in cash).
Shamegz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 20:21   #27
BHPian

As far as I remember there is no such thing as toll tax exemption for local residents according to law. The law provides concession. Concession is given to persons who are driving the car not to the car(some tolls look at registration plates instead of asking for monthly pass just for the sake of convenience or arrangement they have with local authorities). Concession is in a form of a monthly pass. Get that monthly pass and you can drive any non commercial car belonging to any state/any owner through that particular toll with any additional fee.

Last edited by Tucker48 : 24th March 2021 at 20:22. Reason: Typo
Old 24th March 2021, 21:34   #28
BHPian

I think your problem will be solved once the GPS based toll collection system is implemented. You will still be paying toll, but not twice for the same trip.
Old 24th March 2021, 22:49   #29
BHPian

Have you tried talking to neighbours or local residents about it? Talk to them and they will show you the way. You can even go to your panchayat office and seek remedy.
Old 26th March 2021, 23:55   #30
BHPian

Service road near brahmarakotlu toll booth is now height restricted, allowing only small vehicle vehicle to pass.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/rushla...8848719714585/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks