Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2021, 11:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Man uses same number plate for two Jeep Compass cars, gets only one registered

Man uses same number plate for two Jeep Compass cars, gets only one registered-compass.jpg

Quote:
The Ahmedabad ‘Regional Transport Office’ (RTO) has registered a complaint with the Ranip police against an Asarwa resident who had allegedly purchased two jeep compass cars of the same model and registered only one of them with the RTO. The other was not registered and the individual had also allegedly used the same number plates for the two cars. The accused has been booked under IPC 406 (criminal breach of trust) and the MV Act 39 (driving without registration) and 192 (driving vehicle in contravention of provision 39 of MV Act.)

The RTO had received an online complaint in September 2019 where it was mentioned that Asarwa resident Divyansh Bhandari had purchased two similar model Jeep Compass cars – one grey and the other black.
Quote:
Yet another complaint was made against Bhandari in November 2019.

Following an investigation by RTO officials, Bhandari’s whereabouts were traced. The officials found the car had a sticker of ‘temporary passing’ and had covered 10,000 kilometres. A complaint was filed against Bhandari at Ranip police station.
Source: Ahmedabad Mirror
ChiragM is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 11:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Man uses same number plate for two Jeep Compass cars, gets only one registered

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 4th May 2021 at 11:25.
srishiva is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd May 2021, 11:43   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Man uses same number plate for two Jeep Compass cars, gets only one registered

"Ingenuity" at its best !! That too in a state that charges probably the lowest road tax in the country @6%. I was expecting that both the cars would be of the same colour, and that his craft would probably go undetected.

The combined tax he'd have paid for both his cars viz. 12% would have been still lower than what other states would have charged for a single car in the >10 lacs category. But then, when one wants to think crooked, what can be done?

Good that this case came to light, but I am sure there are a lot more that are doing this and going undetected.

Last edited by vigsom : 3rd May 2021 at 11:47.
vigsom is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 11:54   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The RTO had received an online complaint in September 2019 where it was mentioned that Asarwa resident Divyansh Bhandari had purchased two similar model Jeep Compass cars – one grey and the other black.
The best laid plans of mice and men...

It's a bit inexplicable why he didn't buy 2 identical Jeep Compasses though, instead of different colours. May have been able to get away with it!
noopster is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 11:57   #5
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Every day we learn about new modus operandi such as this, can't blame media sensationalism in this! People can go to any extent to save money. Hope the RTO imposes a huge fine retrospectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
But then, when one wants to think crooked, what can be done?
Good that this case came to light, but I am sure there are a lot more that are doing this and going undetected.
True, I've heard about trucks (rather the owners running the transportation business) with fake plates to avoid getting caught for traffic offenses, but not sure if they'd avoid registration altogether
Old 3rd May 2021, 12:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

@ srishiva

Not sure about Ahmedabad but here in Kerala, if someone notifies the RTO authorities about any such unlawful action or possession, they will check it most certainly. I think someone may have notified the authorities about this.

Last edited by GTO : 4th May 2021 at 11:25. Reason: Quoted post deleted
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 13:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
The combined tax he'd have paid for both his cars viz. 12% would have been still lower than what other states would have charged for a single car in the >10 lacs category. But then, when one wants to think crooked, what can be done?
Isn't it mandatory for dealers to collect the road tax and remit the same to state government or the registering authority? I don't think saving tax is the motive here!
skumare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 13:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

There must be a way to systemically find frauds with fake registration numbers.

RFID by manufacturers are unique numbers to every vehicle that comes out of factory.

If there is a way for traffic police to lookup between RFID and registration number, then these kinds of frauds can be easily caught.

Else, it is only by chance, anyone can find such frauds, especially when the colour of vehicles are same.
Old 3rd May 2021, 13:12   #9
BHPian

There have been such instances in the past also where tour operators have tried this stunt! We get to know about only the ones who get caught, don't we!?

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/beng...w/79379863.cms
Old 3rd May 2021, 16:00   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Definitely not a new thing. Back in 2003 I remember seeing 2 inter-state buses from a private operator parked outside a police station. Both had the exact same number on the license plate, must have been caught and held there, had been there for a long time.

Pretty sure this is a very widespread thing. Unless there is a reason for a cop to run a check on the license plate, hardly likely they will get caught. Like in this case, only way is when someone like a neighbor or employee notices and complains I guess.

Last edited by am1m : 3rd May 2021 at 16:02.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 16:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
Isn't it mandatory for dealers to collect the road tax and remit the same to state government or the registering authority? I don't think saving tax is the motive here!
Customer can opt for self registration, dealer would handover the complete file to the customer, in case the vehicle is funded, they are reluctant as it is their responsibility to submit the Post delivery documents but in case it is an outright purchase, they are more than happy to handover the file to customer. They would take an undertaking/declaration from the customer to safeguard themselves.
Old 3rd May 2021, 16:15   #12
Team-BHP Support

Reminds me of this thread We never knew what was the reason, so perhaps they were also doing something similar unless there was a genuine mistake.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...bmw-india.html (X5 Plate on a 7-Series owned by BMW India?)

Last edited by Turbanator : 3rd May 2021 at 16:16.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 17:23   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm all in for screwing the most corrupt nation on earth x 100, but did this person factor in resale at any point?

Even assuming that he'll resell one car with the number plate and that number plate gets transferred to the new owner, how would he sell the other one when the time comes? It's not like he can tell the RTO that he had a car with tens of thousands of kilometers just lying around unregistered and that he'd like to register it now.

As for cheating the goverment of road taxes, ideally I'd like to do the same as well, heck I want to be compensated for the city with no roads that is Bangalore, which ironically is the city with the highest road taxes. Being a patriot and faithful citizen of India is probably the most foolish thing ever.
dark.knight is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 17:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

I bet it was a neighbour that blew the whistle! Would have been easy to spot 2 cars with the same number parked at a residence.
Deeps is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 21:36   #15
BHPian

A person who can afford 2 Jeep Compass could not afford to register one of them?

Assuming that he did this on purpose, I fail to fathom the reason.

What did he intend to achieve?

There's more than what it seems to be...
KA18 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks