Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2021, 10:28   #31
BHPian

Re: Will I be able to take out my car? Math says no

Hey Mate, as others have indicated, this is not a linear mathematical equation, and along with the objective / number challenges, skill is also a huge factor.

I suck at parking but my wife is BRILLIANT at it. Yesterday for instance she parallel parked my Seltos (I shamelessly give it to her to "do the needful"when it comes to parking) between 2 cars, post parking we might have had maybe 2 feet of space in the front and 1 in back at best, given the Seltos' length of 14 feet, she basically parked the car with a total of 17 feet available.

Seeing the pictures, I see no reason why it should not be possible, though yes it might take 2-5 mins (based on skill), and anything from a 3-10 point turn but it can be done.

That being said, YMMV based on all the objective and subjective factors discussed, so please do your own testing.
Stribog is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 10:39   #32
BHPian

When I was contemplating buying the Xylo (back in '09), the first consideration was parking within my slot which was quite narrow. Fortunately the driver and passenger doors cleared the partition walls if I nosed in. I had to get the dealer to send a Xylo home for the test drive and prove it fit the slot. I also had the Estilo and parked it close to the covered parking making it as difficult to park the Xylo into the covered slot. Tried all bad scenarios and included 2Wheelers as well. Credit where due, the dealer SA got the Xylo into the slot in all scenarios, albeit with 2-3 iterations. That clinched it and the ownership experience on the parking front for next 4 years was top notch.
On a related note, few of my fellow apartment owners had to demolish brickwork to address turn angles and ran foul of the managing committee. But strings were pulled and more people followed suit for their slots. Not the best look and definitely a question mark on structural integrity though no RCC element was touched.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 10:45   #33
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend has a Hexa and his designated car park in the apartment's basement is the last one and he has to enter/exit the driveway and make his way through two 90 degree turns in narrow spots to get the car in and out. He gets his security guard to help him, but as a passenger sitting inside while he was getting the car out was so stressful for me that I opted out on the return

The point is it seemed almost impossible to me that the car could go in and out of that parking slot but it did and does almost every day (takes great skill and practice no doubt), well not now during the pandemic though.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 10:57   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I have a peculiar, but not so peculiar question.

The question is - when all the parking slots are completely occupied, will I be able to take out my car - mathematically? Pythagoras theorem says NO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Maybe I am not understanding the problem clearly. But I don't see an issue looking at the pictures.

Firstly the car is not going to move in a straight line angle, considering the steering dynamics, won't the movement be more of a curve? I don't think Pythagoras theorem is the one to apply here.
I have nothing of value to add here except point out that the problem that you are facing is unsolved even by the best mathematical minds. Its similar to the moving sofa problem which is detailed here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_sofa_problem

Its best to rely on common sense and not try to squeeze a bigger car through a right angle.
srini1785 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 11:30   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
I have nothing of value to add here except point out that the problem that you are facing is unsolved even by the best mathematical minds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_sofa_problem
Then I need to remove the driver side door - Mr Bean style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
I shamelessly give it to her to "do the needful" when it comes to parking
Like all other things in life, we get into comfort zone - we do not learn. All these days I had enough space all around and I never bothered about parking issue. Reminds me of my wife's friend who can park her Honda City in the narrowest of parking slots with couple of centimeters accuracy.

Last edited by AltoLXI : 13th July 2021 at 11:35.
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 11:31   #36
Senior - BHPian

This thread reminded me of the Legendary Pivot scene from F.R.I.E.N.D.S.

Apologies for the comedy in the middle of a serious discussion !!
2000rpm is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 16:47   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Request the cars in the front to be parked as far as back as possible. Move the bikes temporarily as needed to make space while parking and taking the car out. Maybe your watchman can help with it. The idea is to free up as much space as you can. You will perfect it in no time.

Or build a steel platform that can be automated to lift the car above your neighbours vehicles, turn as needed, slide out and lower it on the driveway :-)
Old 13th July 2021, 17:23   #38
Senior - BHPian

Have you even tried taking out the car when all the cars are parked ? Did you face an issue or at the moment it is just in your mind and on paper ?

Ofcourse pictures always don't do justice but there seems to be ample space for taking out the car especially for a hatch. My parking is exactly the same and behind me instead of the wall is my Duster with an 2 inches of space between them. The garages are designed for 4M cars and both are longer than that leading to minimal space between them. To take the Duster out I have to first take out the Rapid. Because of the pillar on the left, I may have to reverse it once. The exit like yours is on the right side. To drive out to the right side, Rapid goes in one shot, Duster sometimes takes an extra reverse of few inches depending on when I turned the wheel.

I somehow think you are overthinking about this.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 13th July 2021 at 17:28.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 00:11   #39
BHPian

My suggestion is if this is your own apartment then might as well install something like a railing (attaching the popular video) which you can move around for more control and hitting the issue related to the Pythagorean side out of the park

Old 14th July 2021, 23:19   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

Why not rent it yourself, if it's a reasonable amount? You'll have more peace of mind than all your other alternatives (some of which may cost money, like renting another slot somewhere else). Speak to the retired gentleman and explain your predicament. He may be sympathetic.

Another thought: Is his slot more maneuverable than yours, and will your car fit in it? If so, why not propose a swap?
A simple and practical suggestion. But I doubt if people will be sympathetic (I understand that I am being judgemental) and they might think if their great grand sons in future would be able to park in their swapped parking spot..

As per the diag I can only assume parking can be done. When in doubt, use ur security or a trusted friend / family member to watch out your sides (to avoid scraping) when u do fwd and reverse movements. If u r unable to do, u can still have a peace of mind that it is not possible; if you are able to achieve it, you get to keep the confidence. After few days of assisted parking, you can be on your own, basis experience.

This method is being used in one of my relative's parking slot which has a wall on the right, a pillar on the left and a compound wall to the front.

And as per some earlier suggestions, reverse parking is the best way to park in this scenario.
Old 15th July 2021, 11:56   #41
BHPian

I was in a similar quandary.

My parking has a wall in the left, a pillar in the right and 2 pillars in front right after the driveway. I requested the gentleman who parks in the space in front of me to park his car as far away from his parking boundary as possible which he thankfully obliged. To park, I still have to reverse the car from the wrong direction and make 3 to 4 three point turns to get in. I have become lot more patient since I started this exercise

Another thing that you can try is to request a professional driver (who drives for a living) familiar with that space to show you the most optimal way to park. I did this when I first moved in to my residential complex and it helped a lot.
Old 15th July 2021, 20:55   #42
BHPian

Here is my parking spot, I don't have covered parking.

1. Front, an I20 parked and I just have 1 to 1.5 ft space to maneuver
2. On to the right, a tree, a bike, and a protruding water pipe
3. Rear - Electricity pole

Sorry for the poor picture quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Will I be able to take out my car? Math says no-img_20210715_111418.jpg  

Will I be able to take out my car? Math says no-img_20210715_111424.jpg  

Will I be able to take out my car? Math says no-img_20210715_111426.jpg  

Will I be able to take out my car? Math says no-img_20210715_111434.jpg  

Old 16th July 2021, 18:45   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Pythagoras theorem says NO.

Theoretically, though it is not possible to take out my car out in such situation, will the car's steering dynamics allow this?
First of all, pythogoras theorem does not apply here. Let us get it out of the way. Here we are dealing with a vehicle and it's steering characteristics. What you are actually looking for is not steering dynamics analysis but a swept path analysis in your situation. Here is a simple interpretation of a car as a bicycle model (which is how we simplify models for simulation). It is essentially a 2 axle 2 wheel (bicycle) model instead of a 2 axle 4 wheel model.

Will I be able to take out my car? Math says no-screenshot-20210716-133443.png

As you see in the above picture, though the vehicle is steered, it traces a wider track when making the corner. So this is the increase in width of swept path while making a turn. This is what is limiting you and also of course the pillar to the left.

Instead of Pythogoras, you should use the Ackermann Steering Geometry to understand this. Ackermann steering geometry is a simplified form of steering used by most passenger cars. So comparing your i20 with this is geometry is more logical.

Quote:
Ackermann steering geometry is a geometric arrangement of linkages in the steering of a car or other vehicle designed to solve the problem of wheels on the inside and outside of a turn needing to trace out circles of different radii.
source

This is how it looks in simplified form:

Will I be able to take out my car? Math says no-800pxackermann_simple_design.svg.png

With the help of Ackermann, we can find some interesting values for your i20. Because you will need it in your swept path analysis.

For finding the steer angles of inner and outer wheels (If you make a right turn, then the left is your outer wheel). According to Ackermann design, the outer wheel will make a smaller angle than the inner wheel, when cornering, because outer wheel has to trace a longer distance than the inner wheel.

Though both wheels are making different angles, the centre of rotation is the same.

Will I be able to take out my car? Math says no-1280pxackermann_turning.svg.png

This is how the angles look like while making corners:

Name:  Ackerman_Steering_Linkage.gif
Views: 679
Size:  301.0 KB

With this background, lets get to the swept path analysis. There are quite some paid(properiatery) software tools available for doing this. Where I work, we have also our own in-house tool, but unfortunately I cannot share in public domain. The only free tool I could find which you can use is here: https://www.glamsen.se/ I think you might need some CAD knowledge to use this tool.

I will add some information on the parameters you will need for your i20 to do this analysis. You will need the following (I used the i20 elite dimensions I found in Gaadi.com) and some I calculated and some you need to find out yourself :

Length - 3.985m
Width - 1.734m
Wheelbase - 2.57m
Track - ?? (I used width for calculation below, but your should use track)
Turning radius - 5.2m
From simplified Ackermann steering angle calculation:
Steering angle (inner wheel) = atan (wheelbase / (turning radius - track)) = atan (2.57/(5.2-1.734)) = 36.5deg
Steering angle (outer wheel) = atan (wheelbase / turning radius) = atan(2.57/5.2) = 26.3deg

With this knowledge you should be able to find your way. I will let you explain us how you arrived at the swept path in your situation.

Btw, if you want to practically see your swept path, just pour a bottle of water outside over the front and rear bumpers and drive ur car from ur spot to the path and back to trace the water drops in a dry parking lot. Probably you have to do a 2 or 3 point turn, as it looks too tight.

Cheers,
Karthik

PS: And pls do yourself a favour to not mix imperial and metric units when you measure/write/calculate something. It is a disaster waiting to happen
carthick1000 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 19:48   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

@carthick1000 you are hired, how soon can you join?
androdev is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 15:56   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
@carthick1000 you are hired, how soon can you join?
Thanks, I take that as a compliment

OP asked an interesting question and he even made a scale model of his situation. So I presume/hope he will make use of the tool and show us how it is done.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks