Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2021, 14:55   #16
BHPian

Re: 400 cars get submerged after Mumbai parking lot goes under flood water | BMC might compensate ow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
I have seen enough parking tickets with a footnote "Park at your own risk" to think BMC will cough up zilch. In all probability they will shrug their shoulders, declare it act of God and ask the vehicle owners to approach their respective insurance companies.

It's sad to see the richest municipal corporation in India unable to tackle annual flooding. But then Mumbai has crossed the limit of civic service threshold decades ago. Still hordes of new people continue to arrive and settle there every day.
The risk should be related to vehicle getting damaged by another driver or broken into.
Flooding from a poorly designed and maintained facility should be BMC’s responsibility.
I agree that they will not pay a dime though.
Considering how badly they have run the city into the ground, with flooding worsening year on year as natural drainage is built over and man made drainage not built into the infrastructure.
As long as the ministers and bureaucrats are nice and dry in their south Bombay enclaves...
Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 15:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: 400 cars get submerged after Mumbai parking lot goes under flood water | BMC might compensate ow

LOL to the thread title...'May' compensate.

Worst case expect an offer like Raghu told here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
...will be like the regular government comp. 2 lakhs for death and 50k for injuries....
1000Rs for MUV Carwash
750Rs for Sedan Carwash
500Rs for Hatchback Carwash
250Rs for Auto wash
100Rs for Bike wash

PS - I dont think high pressure wash is allowed in metros anymore
svsantosh is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 15:27   #18
BHPian

This news come at a time when I was considering the possibility of going for a used car. I guess I should avoid a used car at this stage with flooded cars flooding the market (couldn't help myself there).
matizcrazy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 15:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matizcrazy View Post
This news come at a time when I was considering the possibility of going for a used car. I guess I should avoid a used car at this stage with flooded cars flooding the market (couldn't help myself there).
The current lot of cars will take sometime before they show up in the used car market, as most of them will require decent amount of work and time to get them in a running state. But flooded cars from previous years is still a possibility.

Only way to avoid one is to buy a car which has been serviced at the authorized service centre and the owner can back his claims with a complete service history.
SnS_12 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 18:59   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

A very sad scenario. A few monsoons ago, I had read that Amitabh Bachchan got all his cars shifted from his residence to the J.W. Mariott Hotel in Juhu, where the parking lot is at a slightly elevated ground.

Every car owner simply cannot afford such shifts to safer havens and has to face the BMC's + Nature's + Contractor's (in this instant case) fury.

The Corporator is bound to raise such a demand for compensation from he BMC, as so many cars an families and ultimately votes are involved. But will get a firm "NO" from the BMC as many here have earlier said.

The Contractor will also get away scot-free and if it comes to him getting cornered by car owners and the corporator, he may as well abscond for a while.

Lastly, the insurance companies will maybe listen to claims and address some paltry amounts citing the fine print (on the dotted line that each of us insured sign or agree upon). And the claims would only be for cars that have valid comprehensive insurance policies. As it is, the figures say that a sizeable number (57%) of vehicles plying on the roads today do not have valid insurance covers.

This link about the 57 % of vehicles plying on roads in India without insurance is from December 2020:-

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/79652274.cms

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 22nd July 2021 at 19:05.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 19:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

A serious problem in Bombay though. I'm building ramps for all my cars. Keeps them well clear of the flooding in our seaside lane (flooding is a given once or twice a year). WIP picture, but you get the gist.

Attachment 2181822
This brings up a very pertinent question these days with almost all cities experiencing floods in the last few years - How do we protect our cars?

For those who cannot build a ramp, what is a good option for apartment parking spaces? Has anyone personally used a car bag like these and can vouch for it?

https://www.texasfloodbag.com/produc...v=c86ee0d9d7ed
https://www.floodguardph.com/

abhinavrm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 20:00   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
On July 19, 2021, in Mumbai, a whole parking lot with 400 cars drowned in the monsoon floods. Here are the visuals of the same.
Really sad to see this happen quite frequently now-a-days. I recollect the Chennai deluge (2008 and 2015) when our cars were covered upto wheel arch level. But luckily nothing happened. Left the car to dry for a couple of days and then fired the engine. Water had not entered the car. Thanks to less force. Such incidents are predominantly man-made and poor planning by civic authorities. Hope lessons are learnt sooner or later.
livelyyoungman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 14:16   #23
BHPian

Trying to get a penny out of government is always difficult, if not impossible. Most likely scenario, they agree to compensate in kind - they'll give free parking passes to these guys.

Typically all such facilities have be having a 'storm water drainage pump', which is used to pump the water out into the BMC's storm water drain. BMC would generally not give occupation certificate (the final certificate that allows use of a building) without all such things being in place & functioning.

Now, practically what happens is a different thing.

Such things will stay in limelight for some time, then if it still stays public - it goes into a blaming circle and eventually languishes in courts. Otherwise, it will get swept under the carpet.

If the OC was given without checking for this, it is the BMC officer's & the developer's (who built it) fault.
If the system was present at the time of OC, but did not function properly now, fault comes to the current parking facility operator - then you go to the supplier to claim warranty, DLP (defect liability period) etc. Before honouring it, he will ask the operator for AMC, proper maintenance, etc.
Some properties have insurance to cover such damages, but most likely it only covers the equipment. Very few would have a 'loss of profit' insurance.

The car owners would take the path of least resistance - claim total loss under their own insurance policies, wherever available/possible.
Old 23rd July 2021, 16:36   #24
BHPian

What happens to cars that are submerged? What's the repair bill like?
I just saw a whole bunch of new Tata cars in Haryana submerged till the bonnet... Will they repair the cars, declare this incident to the potential buyer and offer a discount?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks