Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2021, 13:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Owner of loud BMW sued $15,000 by neighbours over "loss of quiet enjoyment"

Homemakers in California, USA have sued their neighbour with a loud BMW for US$ 15,000. The homemakers claim that the neighbour is disturbing their 'quiet enjoyment' with his very loud BMW.

According to a media report, for the last 5 years, Brian Hillman (BMW owner) has disturbed the quiet enjoyment of his neighbours through his BMW's loud exhaust (modified) and reckless driving. A court document also states that the BMW owner has continued his antics, even after repeated requests to abate.

Owner of loud BMW sued ,000 by neighbours over "loss of quiet enjoyment"-bmwownersued.jpg

As per reports, one of the neighbours has sued Hillman for US$ 2000 per year for five years, while another neighbour has sued him for US$ 1000 per year for the same period - bringing the total fine to US$ 15000.

Most of Hillman's social media feeds were said to have featured him doing burnouts and doughnuts with his modified BMW. However, since the lawsuit, Hillman appears to have wisely removed all such videos and photos from his social media.

Source: tiremeetsroad

Image Source: Instagram

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 28th July 2021 at 13:09.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 13:25   #2
BHPian

Re: Owner of loud BMW sued $15,000 by neighbours over "loss of quiet enjoyment"

On a lighter note
Your honour, can I gift good noise cancellation headphones to them instead?

Last edited by Rambo-RS : 28th July 2021 at 13:28.
Rambo-RS is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 19:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is a real problem in California with some neighbors. They would go to ridiculous extents to make noise, with absolutely no regard for infants, the elderly and patients. Even working class people, some sleep so little, to have that precious sleep time ruined because somebody needs their exhaust to be louder than anyone else for no useful reason... I get them.

Bikers are even worse in this aspect though.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 28th July 2021 at 19:27.
rajushank84 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 19:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good move by the court. Brings some common sense back to such people. No offense to anyone but I find the Royal Enfield noise too disturbing and unnecessary. Even at speeds of 20kmph or lower, the noise is too much and causes irritation. I find it extremely disturbing. I know there are die hard fans for the exhaust sound but personally I hate it. (No intention of hurting anyone or trying to create a controversy).

Last edited by Raghu M : 28th July 2021 at 19:41. Reason: new content
Raghu M is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 19:46   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
This is a real problem in California with some neighbors.
This is a huge problem in New York as well.
Loud exhausts, loud music blaring from cars; many of which have been revoltingly modified.
aah78 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 19:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

I hope it was similarly easy to do so in India.

There's a guy who rides is super-bike almost full throttle in front of our society over a flyover. The sound of the bike resonates through the society to the level of nuisance. Particularly early morning or late nights.
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 19:58   #7
BHPian

USA is the land of two things, heavily modified cars and people suing others for a quick buck, which qualifies this story as probably the most American story on Team Bhp. On a lighter note:
Attached Thumbnails
Owner of loud BMW sued ,000 by neighbours over "loss of quiet enjoyment"-f3a8fc43fbdc4debbffa8936eb159efe.jpeg  

Starfire is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 20:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
On a lighter note:
But that kind of "humor" and sentiment is the problem. You can choose not to be in church where someone is eating chips. Some people can't choose not to be home.
You have to be sick and desperate for some sleep, go through that experience, or have your kid go through that experience to understand that it is not a matter of politeness, it is much more than that.

Even the vegetable seller with loudspeakers, we can understand. Poor guy is trying to make a living.

This has absolutely no use.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 28th July 2021 at 20:12.
rajushank84 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 20:30   #9
BHPian

I usually go to bed around 11. A few months ago when I was about to fall asleep, out of the blue a royal enfiled with a hollow exhaust passed by, that too at wide open throttle. Mind you, my house is just two cars length away from the road. I got the scare of my life as a jolt went through my heart. The same thing repeated for another few days. Annoyed I even thought about giving the guy a chase. Thankfully it stopped after some days.

As an enthusiast I am all in for 'tastefully' modified exhausts, something thats slightly louder than the stock, something with a baffle. But straight pipes, hollow pipes that produce obnoxiously loud noices with pops and bangs just make me think why people want others to curse their folks at home!

Quote:
On a lighter note:
This is what the other churchgoers are thinking probably. And they don't want to be that guy!
Attached Thumbnails
Owner of loud BMW sued ,000 by neighbours over "loss of quiet enjoyment"-images.jpeg  

Last edited by corvus corax : 28th July 2021 at 20:36.
corvus corax is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 20:37   #10
BHPian

Quote:
But that kind of "humor" and sentiment is the problem.
Bro, its a joke, learn to not be grumpy about it.

Quote:
You have to be sick and desperate for some sleep, go through that experience, or have your kid go through that experience to understand that it is not a matter of politeness, it is much more than that.
That being said, you probably didn’t understand the first part of my previous post. It seems you’ve been on the receiving end of this too. Well don’t be like these guys, If you have a problem with someone purposely revving or doing donuts, its wrong by all means! Do take a video, submit it to the cops and watch it stop the next day. Don’t wait for 5 years, than sue a person for 2 grand a year. That clearly shows your pocket is dearer to you than your sleep, and your agenda is more deep rooted than getting some shut eye. These things happen very commonly in the states, hence my previous post.

Last edited by Starfire : 28th July 2021 at 20:38.
Starfire is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 23:22   #11
BHPian

The person lost and had to pay $6000.

Last edited by bblost : 29th July 2021 at 00:59. Reason: Capital T at start of line.
peepo is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 00:28   #12
BHPian

I am glad someone is suing the Bro-gang that is often going unchecked here in California.

Overly loud "look-at-me" exhausts are distasteful and give enthusiasts a bad name just like the hooligan motorcyclists. Another point that validates this attitude is despite having one of the greatest I-6 engines ever made, which has enough mechanical induction noise in the cabin to give the adrenaline rush car-guys crave for, this "Bro" decided to go with a loud exhaust on his S-54 E46 to overpower the mechanical sounds. Essentially masking all the good bits that made this car special.

Edit: Oh wait, it's not an E46-M3, looks like an E46 3-series coupe with Z3M-coupe alloys. The dude's Instagram suggests that he's worse than a "Bro", he's a Ricer. I feel bad for that BMW now. Much deserved suing.

Last edited by shree_shell : 29th July 2021 at 00:37.
shree_shell is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 10:15   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I empathize with the residents. I live right on the beach and the lane is a dead-end, so every evening, there are groups of loud people here. This has literally happened so many times that I lost count = you are deep in your sleep and a dude with a loud motorcycle revs his bike hard through the lane. I actually use these awesome earplugs now - they are 100% effective and make me sleep really deep.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 11:48   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I actually use these awesome earplugs now - they are 100% effective and make me sleep really deep.
Thanks for the tip! Need to get these. In my case it's the 3 big dogs of my neighbor/illegal dog breeder who just take turns through the day keeping everyone awake. Repeated complaints have had no effect and with all the 'animal/dog lover activists' around, I don't think there is any point escalating legally without coming off as the bad guy.

People who think continuous noise near where you live is not a big deal have probably never had to deal with that. It just ruins your day. At least in the US there are regulations and you can approach things legally. Unfortunately here, noise is just something you need to 'adjust' to.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 12:04   #15
Team-BHP Support

This used to happen to me in 2006 when I had just moved to Manipal. After 9pm or so, someone in a modifed RX100 would rip past my office with thundering noise repeatedly. Few days later I found out who it was and put an end to it. Turns out he was my employee... He moved to a road much far away and remote.
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks