Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Driving position
Low seat 147 35.77%
High seat 274 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 411. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2021, 01:07   #1
BHPian

Low vs High driving position – Your choice?

Well it’s always been more comfortable when I drive a high stance seat (blame it on the Ambassador we had in the family which made me fall in love with driving as such and our driver who allowed me to steer when barely could touch the pedals).

It has been a real question that have had quite a few discussions with friends who are comfortable driving the low seat – Honda City , whilst I could not get much delight (only the stance ). My first steed was a Wagon R loved the tall boy design and seat height, followed by Swift with a slightly lower seat but nothing much to complain.

Then the City came in to my garage but somehow felt out of sorts on the low seating and then after a few years sold it off (lockdown and travel cut down) . Ecosport was my choice perfect ergonomics but unfortunately they stopped the bookings.

I then TD the Sonet- loved the seat position and booked it (after reading a few new car ownership am motivated to write one for the same and will do so shortly once I am ready)

Am not talking of GC here only the driving position and the pros and cons

Pros
High seat position
Good visbility of the road
Egress and Ingress easier
Spinal cord and the femur will be thankful so will the pelvic
Tolls it is easier to pay (not after Fastag came in though)

Cons
Good visbility of the road (-)
Egress and Ingress easier(-)
Spinal cord and the femur will be thankful so will the pelvic (-)

Others please feel free to chip in

Mods - please note - could not find any thread on this , if so please excuse or feel free to put this in the bin.
Dieseldunk is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 01:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Low vs High driving position – Your choice?

IMO, preference depends on the following factors :
- physical limitation like a bad back necessitates an easy and high seating
- city driving dealing with traffic and short drives are easier in a high seated easy access car like the wagonR whereas a mountain road is best enjoyed in a low seated car like the Civic
- the car itself, I wouldn't want to drive a Civic with as high a seat as a wagonR, kills the fun and a wagonR with low seating defeats its purpose and USP, IMHO

Now talking primarily of highways I would prefer a low seated sedan/hatch that responds better over a high seated SUV.

Would suggest to request a poll.

Last edited by shancz : 30th October 2021 at 01:46. Reason: ftl
shancz is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 01:52   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post

Would suggest to request a poll.
Done , just thought of it too ,after the post, thanks for the suggestion.

cheers
Dieseldunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 02:52   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

As someone living with a weak back and a history of slip disc and cervical issues, a higher seat is always preferable. Driving in a chair like position puts minimum strain on the lower back and shoulders. Lower cars tend to be more tiring to travel in.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 07:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Low.

Reasons : like mentioned earlier, the back's still ok, don't intend to drive a car in the city extensively and most importantly the long pending desire to travel the country(highways and mountain roads) in a car of choice (sedan/hatch) before moving over to the practical side of things is still alive
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 08:11   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted High

Am going higher with each car Swift -> Ecosport -> Creta . I simply can't find the sweet spot on the Jetta.

99% of my drives are through B2B traffic and it gets easier now. Also, I tend to get a lower back pain during long drives. This higher seating position takes care of that most of the time.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 10:08   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for tall/high seats.

Low seats as in the old esteem, lancer etc were very low. When the WagonR released It felt like I was going to fall over from the driver seat, the steering cannot be used to hold onto it because that power steering was freewheeling!! WagonR continues to be a tallboy and it sits taller than many SUVs even now.

I prefer tall seating now although I do not have any health problems, it is more suitable for getting places in a hurry as well as for trail /hill driving.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 10:39   #8
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Always been a fan of low seating & hence preferred sedans to UV's. However, being on the wrong side of 30's & lower back being somewhat of a nagging thing, preference has changed to higher seated vehicles. However, just bought a nice Sedan this year which is relegated to pleasure drives only. Our Innova is surprisingly comfortable to drive for extended periods of time due to the positioning of legs - doesn't have any lumbar support though.

Also, I've realised that I got a stiff hamstring due to insane driving in Dubai - 160kms daily in a 2016 Maxima. As fast as that vehicle was, it has put me off sedans for that kind of driving on a daily basis.

Cheers
RJK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 11:19   #9
BHPian

I prefer high seating in a car due to good visibility of the Hood.
The seat height in my Jazz is adjusted to maximum.
I have bought the Orthowala Lumbar support cushion from amazon and its working fine for my back pain.
Old 30th October 2021, 11:49   #10
Team-BHP Support

Call me names, but both.

Low, laid back, stretched - Car.

High, a bit upfront (in comparison) - SUV.

Something between both, but never much comfortable - CSUV's / Seltos / Creta clan.
Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 12:00   #11
BHPian

If I understood correctly, the choices are upright and reclined as defined by the seat back. High low would indicate the seat bottom position.

I always prefer an upright position for driving. That way I am comfortably alert but never relaxed for my attention to waver or to make me drowsy on long drives.
RedTerrano is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 12:30   #12
BHPian

The highest possible seat. If possible on the roof .

Ingress and egress aside, circus and movies (Indian roads) are best viewed from the balcony seat.

I remember the difference that I felt in the Innova for the first time after being in a Sedan. It was chalk and cheese.
Nalin1 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 14:57   #13
BHPian

I drive a Polo and have not been able to find a suitable position. I started with low seating but it caused back and knee pain. Now, I am trying a higher seating position but the clutch travel is too long and I don't want to move closer to steering wheel because that will cause pain in right knee.
cryptarchy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 18:14   #14
BHPian

I can vouch for higher driving position after experiencing it in our BR-V. I feel fresher and less fatigued (especially after traveling on painful Bangalore roads) when compared to our previous car, Honda City.
Storm2.0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 18:21   #15
BHPian

Voted for low seating position.
I always love seating low inside the car. Even in SUVs and Toyota Innova I set the seat to the lowest and drive.
When the seat is adjusted to the highest, I always feel uncomfortable taking corners and my back feels most relaxed in low seating.

Last edited by Abhinav V : 30th October 2021 at 18:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks