Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2021, 10:52   #1
BHPian

Shouldn't Toll Operators pay a penalty to road users for broken roads, via FASTag?

Now that we have FASTag, why should the monies go one way only to the corrupt and incompetents?

Yesterday, I was driving from Chennai to Bangalore and the roads till Vellore were horrible.

We all have a sense of whether what we pay for something is reasonable or not, and most of us agree that a lot of toll charges are exorbitant. Now that FASTag is in place, Government should implement two way credits-

1. Toll operators collect money for good roads from road users
2. Toll operators pay penalty to road users for poor roads

Both through FASTag.

This will ensure highways are properly maintained by the Toll operators, including maintaining markings, railings, rumblers, sign boards, etc.

I'm a big fan of our minister Nitin Gadkari for his ability to break conventions. I hope he thinks over on this.

What do you guys think?

Mods: Please add a poll: Yes or No. I'm not able to do it.

Last edited by Samurai : 19th November 2021 at 15:01. Reason: typo
CliffHanger is offline   (64) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 11:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Shouldn't Toll Operators pay a penalty to road users for broken roads, via FASTag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Yesterday, I was driving from Chennai to Bangalore and the roads till Vellore were horrible
As of 2021, they're far better, compared to what it used to be since 2015.

Your idea is good & wish it gets extended to zillions of other things which listed should crash TBhp server itself without touching base our respectable judiciary systems as well.

For consolation - Did you get to ride/drive on NICE road? The attitude of people manning at toll booth, road condition & technology adaptation has been deteriorating for years now. Compared to that, Pennalur - Wallajah stretch has become pathetic to worse these days.

Only if our wishes were horses...

Last edited by aargee : 19th November 2021 at 11:45.
aargee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 13:09   #3
BHPian

re: Shouldn't Toll Operators pay a penalty to road users for broken roads, via FASTag?

Nice idea and I strongly support that. . It's implementable too.

Coming to the Chennai - Bangalore route, the stretch between sri perumbudur and the Chennasamudram toll, you were already credited with 50% of the toll. Thanks to the Madras High Court orders to collect 50% toll only until the road is widened, and cleared of potholes.
saisree is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 14:40   #4
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I support this, however in the same line there are so many services where we don't get what we deserve, specially for tax payers or full payment paying customers like in railways, government hospital, even in private hospitals, state government offices, schools, colleges, etc.,
manjubp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 12:44   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
As of 2021, they're far better, compared to what it used to be since 2015.
It is back to being horrible again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Nice idea and I strongly support that. . It's implementable too.

Coming to the Chennai - Bangalore route, the stretch between sri perumbudur and the Chennasamudram toll, you were already credited with 50% of the toll. Thanks to the Madras High Court orders to collect 50% toll only until the road is widened, and cleared of potholes.
I think the judgement came after years and several deaths. Let us see if our government that says it has India at its heart, can do this. Technology, if used correctly, can help to develop our country way way faster.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 12:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Now that we have FASTag, why should the monies go one way only to the corrupt and incompetents?

Looks like atleast something was heard by the Ministry.
Not about the bad roads, but the wait time.

Quote:
The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has issued guidelines to ensure no more than 10 seconds of service time per vehicle even during the peak hours at toll plazas to ensure minimal waiting time.

The new guidelines will also ensure seamless flow of traffic at the toll plazas by not allowing vehicles to queue up more than 100 metres.

1)Waiting time of not more than 10 seconds per vehicle even during peak hours at the toll plazas on the National Highways.

2) Seamless flow of traffic at the toll plazas by preventing vehicles to queue up more than 100 metres.

3) If there is a queue of waiting vehicles of more than 100 metres, the vehicles will be allowed to pass without paying a toll.

4) A yellow line at a distance of 100 metres from the toll booth will be marked in each toll lane.
Source
iamahunter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 17:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is back to being horrible again!
Yes, what to do? Years ago, I asked for complaint register at Pennalur aka Sriperumbudur toll plaza. They asked to pay, get forward & park while they bring the register. So I paid, went ahead & parked the car. Had I still been waiting, I would've made some headlines atleast!! The register wasn't made available.

So on return journey, I asked them casually as why the road condition is like this & whether its justified to collect the toll for such bad roads. They said, they're helpless after which they said it was due to 6 lane road widening work after which everything will be settled.

This was in 2016 or so boss!!
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 23:16   #8
BHPian

I agree that if the road is not well maintained, the toll charges must not be taken. One of the reasons for toll collection is the proper upkeep and maintenance of the road. But how is it enforceable. It's the job of the NHAI, if not, then the government and then the opposition. There has to be someway of putting pressure on the concerned.
Old 20th November 2021, 23:28   #9
BHPian

I'll raise another issue.

If your fastag doesn't have sufficient balance or you don't have a fastag, you get charged twice the amount.

But, if the tag reader can't read your tag/ handheld reader doesn't work/ the plaza doesn't have tag reader device on the top, then they ask you to pay cash. Shouldn't i be exempt under such case? I tried arguing my point at Deoband(UP) toll plaza but they ganged up on me and i may be misinformed, so i backed off

Last edited by Doonite : 20th November 2021 at 23:43.
Doonite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 23:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shouldn't all past administrators of all government departments esp roads in Gurgaon be jailed as long as they live?

Shouldn't the government refund every penny to us long suffering disrespected 30+% taxpayers?

Logic from the government? I like your joke sir!

The government exists to perpetute itself, win votes for its masters and assure jobs or contracts for their constituents. Your utopian ideals have no place in a government anywhere, much less the Indian government!
phamilyman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 23:41   #11
BHPian

I think there is already a penal clause in the toll agreements, which covers action against operators not maintaining the roads under their jurisdiction. But as with every other thing, there is a clear nexus between babus and these contractors which shields them from any worthwhile penalty being imposed. I can name toll roads in Maharashtra which are in terrible condition since time immemorial!

Also, there are so many rules which these toll thugs routinely flout, for example, they have to let vehicles pass through immediately if there is a traffic backlog in the toll lanes which extends beyond a demarcated line. Have never seen this rule followed at any toll plaza across the country.

The only way to bring these errant toll thugs to book is if commuters unite and simply refuse to pay up one fine day!
IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 08:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
I think there is already a penal clause in the toll agreements, which covers action against operators not maintaining the roads under their jurisdiction. But as with every other thing, there is a clear nexus between babus and these contractors which shields them from any worthwhile penalty being imposed. I can name toll roads in Maharashtra which are in terrible condition since time immemorial!

Also, there are so many rules which these toll thugs routinely flout, for example, they have to let vehicles pass through immediately if there is a traffic backlog in the toll lanes which extends beyond a demarcated line. Have never seen this rule followed at any toll plaza across the country.

The only way to bring these errant toll thugs to book is if commuters unite and simply refuse to pay up one fine day!
Testify to this. The Bangalore entry toll from Hosur side had a hold up of nearly 30 minutes on a Saturday afternoon (this was last week). It kind of completely defeats the purpose of having a fastag, which was supposed to be for seamless pass through saving time and fuel. The demarcation line seems to have gotten lost under the long line of vehicles.
ShreyG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 08:47   #13
BHPian

The idea has merit but is close to unimplementable in India. The same reasoning has been around for ages even before fastag was a thing and when we used to pay in cash. Collective action on the other hand can sometimes bring about miracles though.

This, of course, extends to so many other facets of our Indian lives, if we start using the same logic then soon we shall pay close to zero in any taxes because simply put:

What we pay in taxes >>> The benefit that we get from paying taxes

This scenario reminds me of another very discussed topic on our forum, lemon cars vs Bill Payments. Even if your car is a lemon and even if you are fed up while the workshop guys work on it, you will yet still have to pay the EMIs/other financial liabilities associated with the car since you are legally confined to do so. I see the same story with tolls, the only difference is that this time the lemons are the roads and the EMIs are toll taxes.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 09:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

By this logic, the government’s coffers would be empty just based on refunds for the Pune- Satara stretch of the National highway 48.
I don’t think this will happen though it should.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 10:39   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
I'll raise another issue.

If your fastag doesn't have sufficient balance or you don't have a fastag, you get charged twice the amount.

But, if the tag reader can't read your tag/ handheld reader doesn't work/ the plaza doesn't have tag reader device on the top, then they ask you to pay cash. Shouldn't i be exempt under such case? I tried arguing my point at Deoband(UP) toll plaza but they ganged up on me and i may be misinformed, so i backed off
You are not required to pay the toll if the scanner and backup scanner at the toll booth is not functioning. They cannot even ask you to backup and try another lane.

I have personally done this at many toll booths across the country. I do face some resistance sometimes but I just inform them to check the guidelines again.
DeadCenter is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks