Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2007, 15:45   #1
BHPian

A bikewallah hit a cow

Hi Guys,
Today morning when I was coming to office, i encountered an accident involving a bike and a cow.I am not sure how it happened, I saw the cow in the middle of the road and the bike fellow falling down the road with little bruises in his mouth and neck.Looks like the he hit the cow before falling down.In fact it happened in the middle of the road at around 8 AM (so less traffic, other wise I can't even imagine the bike fellow's plight in a heavy traffic situation)

It is sad that people let their cows for a free walk and they turn up in busy intersections and rodas in our bangalore roads.It is high time the real owners of the cows/cattles are punished.Thats my thought.What do yous say guys?
Old 30th May 2007, 16:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

lol i guess he was trying to cross the "Saand Barrier"
On a serious note, animals on the road are a menace and frankly speaking inspite of so many accidents nothing is done ...
Old 30th May 2007, 16:38   #3
BHPian

Government bodies think this way, India is democratic country and everyone including animals are allowed to use any public property including roads.
Old 30th May 2007, 16:39   #4
Team-BHP Support

And goes without saying creates those india centric stereotypes abroad. In some cities municipality guys just pack these free roaming cows and buffaloes off to the holding area (animal pen). Later when the owners turn up they are made to pay a fine to get their animals released. The same should be done in all the cities.
Old 30th May 2007, 16:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

animals on the roads is the favorite tourist attraction for the foreign tourists...
Old 30th May 2007, 16:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
And goes without saying creates those india centric stereotypes abroad. In some cities municipality guys just pack these free roaming cows and buffaloes off to the holding area (animal pen). Later when the owners turn up they are made to pay a fine to get their animals released. The same should be done in all the cities.
Like what happens to the vehicles when they are parked in the no parking zones

On a serious note, the animals like cows and dogs moving around freely on the roads are pretty dangerous. I have had some near misses with them and had also fallen down during my early biking days when trying to brake hard because of their temperamental road crossing habits.
Old 30th May 2007, 17:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

In chennai its already banned. But no one cares about it as municipal staffs never pick these cows from streets. I had witnessed a two wheeler fatal accident, where the guy hit the cow resting next to the divider on the road in darkness.
Old 30th May 2007, 17:27   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Reminds me of something i read in the paper a few days ago.
3 buffaloes were hit on the eastern express highway in Mumbai by a dumper and an indica.
Now, what were these buffaloes doing in the middle of the freaking highway?
It also reminds me of what happened to my jijaji's lancer once. His car was bring driven down from Baroda to Mumbai and on the way, a truck hit a cow which very convieniently fell on the lancer and smashed its grill and bonnet.
Old 30th May 2007, 17:27   #9

Very true!! Animals are a menace in B'lore, be it the cows on the road that obstruct traffic or the dogs that chase you after the night falls.

I feel owner's of livestock should be educated about this problem they're causing to the public. However, stray dogs can only be kept on check by municipal authorities.
Old 30th May 2007, 17:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In some cities municipality guys just pack these free roaming cows and buffaloes off to the holding area
I think we have a rule in bangy that , public could call a number and report about the strays(cows) to the city corporation.
Old 30th May 2007, 18:24   #11
BHPian

yes the muncipality should haul the cows/dogs/goats etc off the street. or anyone who would like a medium rare steak or lamb chops should volunteer to take it off the street.
Old 30th May 2007, 18:37   #12
Team-BHP Support

This reminds of my incident. My driver dint see and endedup rear ending an a**es a**. Basically the donkey was crossing and it came in the car's path and he ended up going into the rear of the donky. Not a pleasant sight. Well the donkey seemes fine as he ran off screaming hee haw hee haw.

Lancer's bonnet and front grill had to be changed.

There was also one time when I drove into a flock of sheep. The flock was crossing the road and I dint see to my right. Just like sheep jumping over a fence, they jumped over the divider onto my car and in front of it. Luckily none of them got hurt and scurried away. I abused my friend sitting on the passenger seat as he saw the sheep and was yelling away to pull up the window rather than to brake. He thought they would jump over the divider into the car.
Old 30th May 2007, 18:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

The cows have been seeing people jay walking on our roads, nowadays people stroll (and thats not a typo) on the right most lane on the highway, sit on the pavement with their legs stretched out straight into the right most lane of a highway, meet up and talk to each other in the right most lane of a highway. So the cows thought, why the hell should we follow the rules. Sounds fair to me.

As for the biker here, maybe he, like thousands of drivers in our country, thought that he was Moses and if he honked everything on the roads would spread out leaving him with a clear stretch of road to zoom off in. He deserved it. Hopefully he has learnt a lesson and realises how it must feel to other road users when he refuses to give way riding at 30kmph in the right most lane.

Last edited by amit : 30th May 2007 at 18:40.
Old 30th May 2007, 19:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
He deserved it. Hopefully he has learnt a lesson and realises how it must feel to other road users when he refuses to give way riding at 30kmph in the right most lane.
Looks like the general TBHP perception of two wheeler riders (poor souls who cannot afford a car, like yours truly) is that of a pesky irritant who doesnt deserve to be on the road.

BTW, is it only me or the amount of cows on the road in Pune is genuinely negligible for some time now?
Old 30th May 2007, 19:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

once I barely noticed a black buffalo 2 feet from my bike at a speed of 70 kmph at night (unlit taramani road, my headlight was not enough to illuminate the animal). had it been in my line of momentum, I would have been dead. I immediately had a gush of sweat.

at another instance, i actually hit a cow at the same speed (did not notice until i hit) on old mahabalipuram road. thankfully only the leg guard and some other parts hit, and i continued with a loud thud.

one of my friends actually hit an old woman in the same way. he still thinks she may have been seriously injured or dead, he did not have enough courage (and presence of mind) to turn around and do anything else.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks