Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2023, 11:57   #46
BHPian

Re: Glare protection from oncoming headlights

Dear Fellow Members, what is it with headlight driving? It was bad enough that one faced headlights from the front. However, now I find headlights from the back lighting up the entire cabin.

I was trained in using headlights only when needed. Fellow drivers on the road seem to keep it on at all times.

I have a special bone to pick with the white headlights - folks seem to be upgrading to even higher power. And its literally blinding.

Today's featured post on Team BHP on Foxfire LED Lighting (DIY: Foxfire Platinum Series LED Lighting Review & Installation) pushed to me to write this. But honestly, folks need some training on when to use headlights.
Spaced Out is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 13:35   #47
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaced Out View Post
It was bad enough that one faced headlights from the front. However, now I find headlights from the back lighting up the entire cabin.

I was trained in using headlights only when needed. Fellow drivers on the road seem to keep it on at all times.

I have a special bone to pick with the white headlights - folks seem to be upgrading to even higher power. And its literally blinding.

LED Lighting[/url] pushed to me to write this. But honestly, folks need some training on when to use headlights.
In todays world everyone is just blindly buying and upgrading to high powered LEDs and blinding white light. And yes oncoming headlamps are a real menace when on high beam and now you are absolutely right that the headlamps of the vehicles behind one are equally devastating. I noticed this again last Friday when driving out of Bangalore at 0500hours in darkness. And again when driving to and from friends homes and clubs on the weekend, in the hills of Coorg.
We were all trained to drive with our headlamps on dip mode until it was mecessary to use high beams. Now everyone seems to always be on high beams. And the concept of dipping when one encounters oncoming traffic seems to be an alien one nowadays. Another thing, these white LED foglamps and headlamps, which seem to be so fashionable nowadays, are absolutely useless as compared to halogen lamps, especially in conditions of drizzle, rain, mist, fog and snowfall/ sleet.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 16th January 2023 at 13:52. Reason: Spelling
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 13:48   #48
Senior - BHPian

Oncoming car, dip your lights, Car in front of you, dip your lights.

How hard can that be to follow?

Was reminded of this:
"Police in southern China are punishing drivers who dazzle other road users with full-beam headlights by making them stare into the lights for a minute, it's reported."

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-...where-37847056
Old 22nd January 2023, 18:49   #49

Dazzle and glare from vehicle headlights

Considering this forum to be one for genuine opinions and discussions, since the last couple of years the intensity of headlights from vehicles have grown and personally they are blinding for a second. Earlier, some "characters" on the road would use High beams but off late even the low beam headlight have significant glare considering that they are LED's accompanied by DRL's .
At a time when accidents and pedestrian deaths are on the rise, I believe this to be a neglected topic, what are your views about it?
uchiltej is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 00:05   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdSpeaks View Post
(Note that I don't have liberty to use usual Sunglass due to my spectacles.).
Similar product link is given below.
Also note that I suffer from Migraine headache when I drive in sun. This type of attachment has really reduced occurrences of headache for me.
Since I have hyperopia, so have tried driving with and without glasses. With transition lenses by Essilor which I am using since the last three years the glare is cut and helps us drive peacefully and can easily view all the surroundings.I use Esilor progressive lenses with transitions so the moment glare or headlights are seen then the lenses darken(in about 30 secs) to cut out the glare without affecting the vision. The moment the light is back to normal the lenses return to normal shade. Have drove a lot in the night and have not had any problems since about 3 yrs.Even in sunlight the effect is the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramharis View Post
I have used these drive safe lens and still using them. I tend to get headaches while driving in the afternoon due to sun's brightness, drive safe helps a bit there too. It was suggested by Lawrence and Mayo's in-store doctor and I'm totally satisfied with it.
Personally I will recommend trying it. Please buy them from a well known dealer/opticals.
If you have spectacles then get photochromatic lenses (Esilor/Zeiss) and you won't have headaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin@y View Post
Anyone tried using a day and night glass for driving?
Theoretically, the photochromic lens should help during day time and anti-glare should help during night time.Not sure whether photochromic + anti-glare combination is available and how much it helps during both day and night driving.
Since I have hyperopia, so have tried driving with and without glasses. With transition lenses by Essilor which I am using since the last three years the glare is cut and helps us drive peacefully and can easily view all the surroundings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ax0TD View Post
My friend recently had a rainwater repellant coating done to his old Alto's windshield. Says that worked against the opposite high beam lights spreading on the windshield. So visibility is better. Although it stays effective for 4-6 months only. Depends on how many times you use the wipers
In heavy rain when visibility is low then wear simple dark sunglasses and see the result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramharis View Post
I have photochromatic glasses and frankly, you will not see any tinting when you are inside the car. I believe those lens need UV to change shade which works when you are outside the car. Drivesafe with Photochromatic is available, but it was 11K when I enquired 2 years back.I would still choose drivesafe first and then the rest. There is something about drivesafe which really works in the real world.
Esilor progressive lenses with transitions so the moment glare or headlights are seen then the lenses darken(in about 30 secs) to cut out the glare without affecting the vision. The moment the light is back to normal the lenses return to normal shade. Even when you are inside the car whether it is day or night.

Last edited by vb-saan : 27th January 2023 at 04:48. Reason: Please avoid positing bold font responses.
Old 27th January 2023, 11:54   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMerchant View Post
If you have spectacles then get photochromatic lenses (Esilor/Zeiss) and you won't have headaches
Photochromatic lenses change with sunlight only. Not with bright lights/headlights.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 12:03   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Photochromatic lenses change with sunlight only. Not with bright lights/headlights.
The latest transitions(gen8) from Essilor and also Zeiss are sensitive to both sunlight and brightlights/headlight glare.
Below are the links for your info

https://www.transitions.com/en-in/eye-protection/
https://www.essilorindia.com/product...signature-gen8

https://www.zeiss.co.in/vision-care/...fe-lenses.html
Old 27th January 2023, 13:08   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMerchant View Post
The latest transitions(gen8) from Essilor and also Zeiss are sensitive to both sunlight and brightlights/headlight glare.
Below are the links for your info

https://www.transitions.com/en-in/eye-protection/
https://www.essilorindia.com/product...signature-gen8

https://www.zeiss.co.in/vision-care/...fe-lenses.html
The Transitions ones look interesting

though the essilor ones only say :
Clear lenses indoors and tinted lenses when out in the sun.

The Zeiss mention less glare, do they darken though?
Old 27th January 2023, 13:29   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
The Transitions ones look interesting

though the essilor ones only say :
Clear lenses indoors and tinted lenses when out in the sun.

The Zeiss mention less glare, do they darken though?
Am using essilor progressive lenses in my spectacles since last 3 yrs and it is a relief as inspite of blinding glare of headlights I am able to drive comfortably.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks