Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2007, 23:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Well in retrospect and from the comfort of my living room it now sounds hilarious. but it was a tough choice to make. i don't think it was a very courageous or heroic thing to do in absolute terms. but i am happy that i could overcome my own fear with logic. the tracks made by other vehicles before me gave me the courage to try it. anyway. all's well that ends well.
Old 18th June 2007, 23:41   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I am sure you must have felt like Archimedes when you figured out how to engage the reverse gear.

Now, thats a name I'd quite forgotten till now. Now that my memory's come rushing back, lets hope Sudipto didnt have to jump out in his birthday suit.
Old 19th June 2007, 00:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Archimedes worked it out himself in his brain. I stole the knowledge from the driver and couldn't even thank him officially. There is a difference between the two.
Old 19th June 2007, 00:41   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

No thread on Team-BHP has ever had hilarious as the first word of it's title. You got my attention immediately.

Well written and thank you for the smile I had throughout the reading.
Old 19th June 2007, 01:30   #20
BHPian

Nice anecdote,bought back memories of good ole cielo. Liked the way you conned the driver into teaching you how to reverse the barge.

Me? i had to eat the humble pie and ask the guy who sold me my car over the phone!
Old 21st June 2007, 14:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

pretty interesting, considering the locks. I wonder how the driver must have felt, someone haivng driven all the way from delhi in a 5000 odd km car, and asking him how to engage reverse!

i remember, when we hired an espace in UK, my brother and I drove it for a bit with the handbrake on, wondering how on earth you disengage the damn thing! finally we called on of the cleaners from the car rental to disengage the thing - gwash, if only i caught that guys expression on camera! priceless!
Old 24th June 2007, 11:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

I must explain one thing - I was not really ashamed that I didn't know how to engage the reverse gear in the Cielo and I could just have stopped another Cielo driver and asked him to show it.

I just thought that whoever I asked for help would perhaps assume that I had stolen the car and would require a lot of explaining to do, perhaps even a visit to the local PS in a worst case scenario. I am a Bong from Calcutta with very shallow knowledge of Hindi and the car had a Gurgaon registration number and we were in Chandigarh and the car wasn't even mine, though I had an authorisation letter from the owner.

The hotel chauffers in and around Delhi, luckily, are not particularly very bright people. In fact he was proud that he knew something that the babu didn't know. It never occured to him why the babu never knew it.
Old 17th November 2007, 20:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

On a recent trip to the US, I got a Subaru Outback to drive. This had an automatic transmission with a SPORTSHIFT (R) manual control. I started driving it out of the airport and I noticed that the transmission had shifted itself into the 2nd gear. But after that it never moved up. I tried everything possible to shift the gear up, without any success. So there I was driving at 60mph in the 2nd gear and continued in that fashion for the next 30 miles. Interestingly, the transmission would downshift itself into the 1st gear when needed.

It was only the next day I realized that if you push the gear shift lever while on the move, the mode changes into manual mode. I also then figured out how to use the transmission both in manual and automatic mode. Goes to say, that when we start using some new equipment/car, it does not harm to ask someone about the basic functions.
Old 17th November 2007, 20:59   #24
BHPian

Ha ha Sudiptoda, reminds me of the first time I drove A tata estate. I was used to the push and engage of the sumo, so I thought that estate alsp has the same system, but in the petrol pump I could not engage the reverse, after trying for some time, with cars honking from behind, and freinds sitting inside, the pump attendent came to my rescue, and told me about the ring on the gear lever. I felt really embarrased that day. But whenever I think of it I still have a hearty laugh till today.
Old 17th November 2007, 23:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

Well, it never hurts to ask, as i dont know. In a fiat, with the hand lever (not floor mounted ones) how do you engage the reverse?
Old 18th November 2007, 18:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

In the neutral position push the lever right back to the extreme and then bring it down; just behind the fourth. Try a couple of times & you'll get the hang of it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Well, it never hurts to ask, as i dont know. In a fiat, with the hand lever (not floor mounted ones) how do you engage the reverse?
Old 18th November 2007, 23:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Thanks gd, let me try that out. I have been trying all sorts of wierd stuff trying to engage the reverse, but never had the guts to ask how it is done.
Old 19th November 2007, 15:45   #28
BHPian

reverse issue happened with me as well when i first brought my aveo. I took the delivery and reached home. i kept the car outside the gate, my owner's son wanted to have a ride in the new car, so i had to do the reverse, now in the gear knob it shows extreme left is the reverse, i moved the gear lever to th max left and executed but the car was still going forward , what is the issue ... i couldnt able to make out , owner's son asked me "Are you driving for the first time" , and that kid is studying in 7th class. i told "No" but i am not able to figure out how to reverse in this... so finally he went back leaving me alone in the car.. i have to call salesperson and told " i think there is some issue with reverse gear i am unable to enggage it " then he explained how to do to ... Few days later i meet the salesperson he said "atleast you siad there is some issue in the reverse gear, one of the customer called up and said "i think you people have forgotten to put reverse gear in the car, please take the car back and put it "
Old 19th November 2007, 22:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

reminds me of my first time in my dad's Astra.
The year was 2000,month of November. A family friend's driver rammed our Esteem while taking it for a test drive,post service. We got a 1998 Astra the very same day,and my dad brought it home. He asks me to park the car in the garage,and I'm all thrilled. I sit in the car for over 15 mins, trying to figure out how to get the car into reverse.
later,my dad walks upto me and tells me to push the knob,while changing gears.
Old 20th November 2007, 12:06   #30
BHPian

I rented a Mazda 6 that had both auto and paddle shift. The legend near the shift lever was a little bit confusing, so I ended up in Manual mode. I pull out of the parking lot and merge into the street, and felt something is wrong. Rather than smoothly shifting up, the engine revs up. Luckily there was a red light within 50 ft, and while stopped there I figured it out.

Being a scardy cat on the road, I never tried the manual mode in that trip. Then a senior colleague and I made a trip to Boston area in the snow. We got a Subaru Outback, and he (more american than a gora, if I may add) ended up in the same situation. I immediately told him that "You are in paddle shift", and he changed right into auto.

And during the same trip I got the onle experience of the ABS and AWD getting you out of a spin. That was awesome.

We were in traffic and saw the turnout rather late. He turned sharp like he would do in CA and ended up in a spin. We felt quick jolts as the wheels alternated traction and brake, but the car stopped without any problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks