Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2022, 11:15   #31
k0p
BHPian

Re: Experiences : Nehru Outer Ring Road (ORR) Hyderabad | Speed once locked never drops

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravanekar View Post
Hyderabad ORR reeks classism to me. Why not allow two wheelers. Rather than restricting bikes why not make some other alternate solution?
Nobody traveling at speed should be doing any guesswork about which 2-wheeler or rickshaw is switching between how many of the 6 lanes. Indisciplined 4-wheelers, trucks, and buses are enough work alone. Plus the ORR has service roads alongside where all sorts of traffic are allowed.
k0p is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 15:49   #32
BHPian

Re: Experiences : Nehru Outer Ring Road (ORR) Hyderabad | Speed once locked never drops

Quote:
Hyderabad ORR reeks classism to me. Why not allow two wheelers. Rather than restricting bikes why not make some other alternate solution?
There were some mishaps with two-wheelers and that's one primary reason the two-wheelers' access was revoked. Kids of movie stars and cricketers were the victims of unabashed driving and racing with powerful bikes on these high-quality roads.

You should also see how common Hyderabadis drive their two-wheelers. Everyone is a Valentino Rossi in the making and it doesn't matter if it's RX100 from 20 years ago, a tvs scooty or the latest motorcycles. A lot of people having good IT jobs are also getting access to more powerful bikes without the sense to drive one. Just imagine these folks getting on the ORR and trying to race with cars. It's not going to end well, especially for those on two-wheelers. Although the traffic sense has improved, there are a lot who have actually gone worse and the sad part is youngsters are the major violators. I don't know how they get the confidence that they can get away with anything. Parents to be blamed as well.
saleem_k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 16:39   #33
BHPian

The main advantage of HYD ORR is that 2 wheelers and 3 wheelers are not allowed in. This is a huge thing as we can drive fast at constant speeds in the respective lanes without worrying for careless drivers cutting in an out of lanes. Though idiots are plenty on 4 wheels too, but in my experience, they are less likely to randomly change lanes abruptly. Imagine a 2 wheeler with 2 adults and 3 kids riding on it, cutting suddenly to the fast lane. Oh my god. That is stuff of car drivers nightmares.
PRS7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 21:00   #34
Senior - BHPian

Finally a thread of one of the best if not the best expressway in the country currently, a road that i frequent 6 times a week for the last 10 years, most of the kms crunched on my vehicles are all on the ORR. Some eye candy for those who have never been on it before.

Last edited by ShortShifter : 27th June 2022 at 21:06.
ShortShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 18:09   #35
BHPian

Travelled on this road several times over the last weekend. It is an amazing/soothing experience; especially after tackling all types of vehicles in the nearly full BLR - HYD highway. Right most lane, cruise control set at 95 or 100 kmph and you can have a relaxed drive chatting with friends/family. Added bonus - FE will increase to good number. Hopefully, they make such access controlled, closely monitored roads across India.
kiran_aithal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 23:01   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
I'm a Hyderabadi but doesn't matter when you drive on the ORR coz if I wasn't one, I still would love the drive. The ease with which one can go to different areas of Hyderabad, albeit taking a longer route but a less-crowded one, is THE major advantage of commuting on ORR. I live in Financial district and it's a great commute to key places like the airport, to the B'lore highway, to Vijayawada highway, to the Mumbai highway and to Nagpur highway, once I get on the ORR. My outstation travels have become simpler and I save a lot of time once I get on the ORR and exit it, I've already made significant progress.

Kudos to Chandrababu Naidu who envisioned this project way back in the early 2000s when we was the CM. Hitech City is also his idea. Thankfully the subsequent governments furthered the development both in the city and of the ORR. From 2017-2019, I was using the ORR atleast thrice a week to commute to my office (150kms roundtrip) and I must have spent nearly 30k of kilometers on this stretch out of the nearly 94k on my car's odo.

One funny thing about ORR are police with traffic guns sitting in between the bushes, perfectly camouflaged. I've gotten many pictures of mine (mostly my car) clicked and paid for it. :-)

One not so great thing is the many accidents that happened primarily coz of driver errors and lorries parked to the left without any hazard lights and some prominent personalities lost their children to illegal racing on the ORR. Just about 2-3 months ago the entire ORR was lit up so now there are no dark areas on the entire stretch.
The credit for the Outer Ring Road should go entirely to the YSR/Congress regime as the entire conceptualisation and execution of the project was done during that time…Yes indeed it’s a pleasure to drive along this great road which has turned out to the crown jewel of the infrastructure of Hyderabad.
Narendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 14:03   #37
BHPian

I had recently been to Hyderabad and while on the way back had to travel to Ramoji Film City and the fast route, although slightly longer was from Hitech City to Ramoji via ORR. One of my friends told me to make sure I stick to the speed limit of 100. The road was so nice, reaching triple digit speeds is very easy and maintaining 100 actually is a little difficult at times, especially since I do not have Cruise Control. It took me a little over an hour before I took an exit for Ramoji Film City, however the drive was butter smooth with nicely maintained surface, properly marked lanes and speed limit highlighted as 80 on the outer lanes while the extreme right ones marked 100. The only issue I had faced was when I missed the approach to ORR and I ended up taking almost 10-12 km of service road before I could get on the ORR. Similarly from the exit for Ramoji, I noticed I had to travel back quite a bit while driving adjacent to the ORR to reach Ramoji. I wish the exit was provided a little earlier nearer to the turn. Good heavens while returning to Bangalore I was no heading to opposite direction and had to continue further. Overall a very good experience and I am sure people wouldn't mind paying toll for such nicely maintained roads.
Old 16th July 2022, 15:06   #38
BHPian

Quote:
ORR is well supported by adjoining service roads along 80% of ORR . Have been a user of ORR since construction phase . Initial official speed was 120 kms due to many accidents got revised to 100 . It is constructed in very scientific way with arrow straight roads , gentle curves with minor gradient. Still there is no dearth of maniacs pushing the limit . since last year almost 90% of stretch is lit in night . Only weak link in the orr circuit is airport to Financial dist ,otherwise it is an excellent mode to exit / enter the city .
rm_arjuna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 13:55   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narendranath View Post
The credit for the Outer Ring Road should go entirely to the YSR/Congress regime as the entire conceptualisation and execution of the project was done during that time…Yes indeed it’s a pleasure to drive along this great road which has turned out to the crown jewel of the infrastructure of Hyderabad.
The point about about YSR govt. was unnecessary in this context. However, since you mentioned it, I would just like to set the record straight...

The entire conceptualisation (+work initiation) of the modern Hyderabad ecosystem (ORR, Hitech City, Mindspace, Financial District, International Airport, HITEX, Metro Rail) was done during the Chandrababu Naidu regime around 25 years ago. Kudos to him and his team for such a forward looking vision and putting it on a path to glory. Respect and credit where its due.

Trivia: They had initially planned for a 6 lane ORR(in each direction), but then cut it short to 4 lane due to feasibility. Now we feel at least 6 lanes would have been great(to accommodate its exponential growth in recent years).

--
The works were however completed during the YSR/Congress regime, and hence inaugurated by them.
--

After Chandrababu Naidu, KTR (the current Urban development minister of Telangana) is another visionary leader who really upped the game in the last few years, and is aiming to make Hyderabad a modern world-class city. We just need to look at the sheer number of flyovers completed in record time(even during lockdown), the parks, lakes, the green cover, the footpaths, the plan for Regional Ring Road (another feather in the cap for Hyd), etc.

All in all, great exciting times to be in Hyd

Last edited by bblost : 17th October 2022 at 22:15. Reason: removed some politics.
evolvo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 21:49   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo View Post
All in all, great exciting times to be in Hyd
Yes indeed Hyderabad is going to go places infrastructure wise going forward and it would turn out to be an even better place to live in.

Last edited by bblost : 17th October 2022 at 22:16. Reason: edited quoted post.
Old 29th November 2022, 09:15   #41
BHPian

I was thinking of doing a weekend drive on ORR. Leaving from Gachibowli, what can be an exit to drive to before driving back? Best if total trip time is 2 hours or less.
Old 29th November 2022, 09:26   #42
Team-BHP Support

I live very close to the ORR. I use it almost everyday. I love the ease of driving on the ORR but I can't think of anything more boring than a 2 hour drive on the ORR.

In an hour from Gachibowli you will be at the Vijayawada exit.

I would rather take the TSPA exit and drive towards Vikarabad.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 08:50   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
I was thinking of doing a weekend drive on ORR. Leaving from Gachibowli, what can be an exit to drive to before driving back? Best if total trip time is 2 hours or less.
The ORR is ~160 km and would take 2 hours to cover in full. So there’s that option of taking a full circle and see how Hyderabad has developed on all sides.

Alternately, you could take the TSPA exit (#17) and drive towards Vikarabad. Or take the Bongloor exit (#12) and drive to Rachakonda. Both are popular for trekking.

Oh btw, both routes are gf-friendly
Old 27th June 2023, 18:41   #44
BHPian

ORR has played a huge role in the overall development of Hyderabad. Must say the visionaries have really thought it through. Development (say real estate projects) is now centered around ORR. Recently ORR is getting a fresh coat of tar which has really smoothened the ride. It has fixed a few sections where road surface was uneven.

Most pleasing is to see the green cover on either side of the road. Maintenance is top notch.

Today, the speed limit for fast lanes have been enhanced to 120 kms /hr from existing 100 kms/hr.

Source: https://telanganatoday.com/orr-speed...-from-100-kmph
maximus_fiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 20:45   #45
Senior - BHPian

Hyderabad ORR is well planned, well built & well maintained road! It is a proper ORR.
In contrast, Bangalore ORR is a hellish nightmare!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks