Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2022, 10:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore: Auto unions develop own app to challenge Ola, Uber

Auto unions in Bangalore have developed their own mobile application called ‘Namma Yatri’. The new ride-hailing app has been designed to take on the aggregators like Ola and Uber.

Bangalore: Auto unions develop own app to challenge Ola, Uber-autosinbangalore_1200picxy.jpg

According to a media report, the Autorickshaw Driver Union (ARDU) have developed the app in collaboration with the 'Beckn Foundation', supported by Infosys co-founder Nandan Nilekani. The new app will be launched on November 1, 2022.

It is said that auto drivers are frustrated due to the large commissions charged by the aggregators. They were also losing clients due to the inflated prices the ride-hailing apps were charging. In fact, the state government recently took note of overcharging by Ola and Uber and ordered them to stop operating 3-wheeler services in the city.

Reports suggest that Namma Yatri fares will be as per the government-fixed rates. A flat fare of Rs. 40 will be charged in a 2 km radius of metro stations, residences and offices, with an additional Rs. 10 as pick-up charges.

Peace Auto, another auto union is said to be working on a similar app called ‘Rook’.

Source: Hindustan Times

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 11th October 2022 at 10:21.
TusharK is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 10:50   #2
BHPian

Re: Bangalore: Auto unions develop own app to challenge Ola, Uber

True to the software development culture of the city, techies didn't leave this opportunity to develop an app

Hope this service is of genuine use for common man.
slamnos is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 11:08   #3
BHPian

All this effort and dissent could be neutralized if the government enforced the use of fare meters like in Mumbai and Delhi(at least to some extent). Fare revision would be welcome too if it could take away the unnecessary haggling and headache over rates, meanwhile being fair to both parties.

This is way too much drama for such a trifling issue.
MotoBlip is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 11:23   #4
BHPian

A good option or maybe a better option then hailing them directly. You are never sure if they will charge as per rule and not get into arguments. Ola and Uber at least made it a fuss free experience even if at higher rates. Auto drivers also needed to make sure that commission does not go to third party. I hope the fare rates are followed as per govt.

Namma Yatri and Partner (Driver) app is already live on Play Store with Early access.

Edit: On second thoughts I am wondering if this is just a way to force govt. to ban Uber and Ola Auto. If they do not sustain/support this in long term, we will be back to old days and overruling the ban will be another delayed activity.

Last edited by vidyanand : 11th October 2022 at 11:31. Reason: 2nd thoughts :)
vidyanand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 11:24   #5
BHPian

Advantage with ride hailing apps is summoning the ride to you. With meters, you had to go in search of them.
Not sure who manages the back end of this new app. If they can do it well, it should be good. Will they adhere to govt fixed rates ?
PreludeSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 11:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

I read elsewhere on the forum that the RTO has not approved of this app Simply because they don't have an approval process for it
greenhorn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 11:33   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Advantage with ride hailing apps is summoning the ride to you. With meters, you had to go in search of them.
Not sure who manages the back end of this new app. If they can do it well, it should be good. Will they adhere to govt fixed rates ?
This is the main reason I use ola/uber auto. Otherwise fares are pretty much similar for me in most cases.

The Beckn protocol is open API/Protocol, (something like UPI?) so eventually it may work across Apps, Provided someone comes up with some shared backend like NPCI equivalent.
debugged is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 11:35   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
... Namma Yatri fares will be as per the government-fixed rates. A flat fare of Rs. 40 will be charged in a 2 km radius of metro stations, residences and offices, with an additional Rs. 10 as pick-up charges.]
That pickup charge negates at least part of the mark-up that was being done by Uber/Ola. So not really different, is this ?
condor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 11:53   #9
BHPian

I do not see the app on The App Store yet, no iOS version?
Old 11th October 2022, 11:55   #10
BHPian

This has been tried before in the form of Namma TYGR cab aggregator app:
https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...ola-uber-68806

And was stopped by the Transport Dept, if I remember correctly.
Old 11th October 2022, 11:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
I do not see the app on The App Store yet, no iOS version?
App Store approval takes longer than Play Store and the Official launch date is 1st November so lot of time.
Android version is downloadable but the OTP sending to login/use is not working as of now anyways.
vidyanand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 12:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think the biggest problem in Bangalore was the "by default" surge price by the autos. They always wanted something on top of meter and Ola/Uber auto came as a boon for many with their transparent pricing(for the customer at least). All good rides come to an end, as is the case here.

However I never understood why even go for a software app when all you need to do is respect the meter being installed by the govt ? If this can be followed in cities like Mumbai, why not in Bangalore ?
rajshenoy is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 15:12   #13
BHPian

Yet another avenue/portal for these errant auto drivers of Bangalore to out rightly refuse or reject your ride

Ola/Uber worked seamlessly and brought about a revolution because you didn't have to haggle with the drivers either on fares, or your exact drop point. While I'm not going to argue about the merits of the law, surge pricing did mean that the drivers (probably) earned a bit more proportionately, hence also benefiting the customers willing to pay a bit more for better chances of snagging a ride.

I'm really not sure how yet another new app specific to autos, will solve the core issue - which is, the refusal of the drivers to go to most of the destinations in the first place. Other than the hassles of installing yet another app, managing the app permissions, privacy concerns, etc, I'm not sure if the grievance redressal mechanism is tilted to favour the auto drivers. Let's wait and see!

Last edited by PearlJam : 11th October 2022 at 15:13.
PearlJam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 15:43   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Auto unions in Bangalore have developed their own mobile application called ‘Namma Yatri’. The new ride-hailing app has been designed to take on the aggregators like Ola and Uber.
Designed for and by the auto unions, why don’t I like the sound of that?

I wonder how do they plan to support the backend if they only charge fare + 10. I am sure the autowallah will want all of that.

Maybe they will charge the roundtrip meter fare as they have to return empty?
Dry Ice is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 16:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

This is a little funny actually. If the autos (not limited to Bangalore) operated by the meter always, there wouldn't be entry of aggregators in the first place. They don't use the meter which is the best way to get customers. Now they use a software that will charge by the meter when you actually have a meter in the vehicle. Simply wow!

You try to negotiate a price in the morning, they say it's morning so we have surge pricing. You try it in the afternoon, they say no one would take a ride back so we have surge pricing, you try in the evening, they say rush hour hence surge pricing and you know their answer for night rides. Now, they create an app to have open and transparent pricing. Leaves me speechless, will never even try it I guess.

Last edited by Raghu M : 11th October 2022 at 16:26.
Raghu M is offline   (33) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks