Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2022, 15:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Full list of all Ghats of Karnataka!

Amazing compilation! Thanks for sharing

There is another ghat on the Sringeri to Jayapura route, I think it's called MeNase ghat. I've covered the route both on bike and car, and both are equally thrilling I must say

Aside, Bisle ghat has kind of lost its glory to traffic I'd say. Earlier (prior to 2010 I think), there were hardly a vehicle or two that one would encounter and I remember taking atleast a couple of hours on my RX135 to reach the bisle ghat view point from Kukke. The last time I took that route in 2021, there was a traffic jam! Sad scenes!
thepilgrim1424 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 16:13   #17
BHPian

Full list of all Ghats of Karnataka!-mapkarnataka.jpg

Map attached with the routes. Admin - Kindly help add this to the 1st post of mine. Thanks.
pramod is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 18:58   #18
BHPian

If someone is new to ghat driving and want to practice at a easy ghat place before jumping into fully blown ghat section, they can always give a try below places

1.Nandi hills in Bangalore.
2. Mysore chamundeswari temple (easiest of all 3)
3. Tirumala (Its one way and bus route). This is big ghat route but very well managed and roads are too wide.

Traffic can be horrible during weekends at nandi hills, but its tolerable on weekdays early monrings.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 08:20   #19
BHPian

Another proud Kannadiga here
I love the route to Udupi, both via Charmadi and Shiradi ghat.
IMO once you cross Shimoga or Chilkamagalur into the ghat area, the drive to any destination is beautiful.
Thanks for sharing.
Our country is beautiful.
Even to this day I am not sure why I returned home when I was being asked to stay back in Canada.
All I remember is I was getting bored and wanted to come home buy a car and drive around our country. I used to read a lot of Team BHP travelogues, this was back in 2011.
Jai hind
RROD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 10:50   #20
BHPian

Awesome compilation !

Have covered all Ghats except No.1 & 3!

Also when you drive down from Yellapur, you can take a diversion to the left ,about 20 Kms before Ankola . It will bring you right to Gokarna Cross.

Even at this location you get a beautiful sunset view of the Arabian sea and the Aganashini river joining the Sea.

Full list of all Ghats of Karnataka!-whatsapp-image-20221126-10.40.54.jpeg
SRISRI_90 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 10:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post

Here, I am just listing all the major Ghat sections that drive down from the "Ghatta" (Upper land) to the Coastal Plains. In most cases, through the lush green forests of Malenaadu and the coast.
Wah, a geography/route thread after a long time. Done all these ghats and when they were in terrible shapes - Bisle, Joida/Kumbarwada, Sampaje - so all the more worthy memories.

Additionally, we could list these:
1. Siddapura - Bhattarakeri - Garadibail - Kumta
2. Siddapura - Santagal - Hirebail - Honnavara
3. The little known Sharavathy Left bank route: Gersoppa to Manki. The catch is that though it's just across the river from the BH road at Gersoppa, there is no way to get to it. A good way is to start from Manki and trace back to Manki after getting to the areas around Gersoppa
4. Belthangady - Didupe - Yeleneeru Ghatta - Samse - Kalasa. This is a british age road that is in disuse today and cuts across Kudremukh WLS. The roads are non-existent/non-motorable for most parts. Permissions are impossible to get too ( for the same reason that the trek from Navur-Sulyodi side to Kudremukh is not allowed these days). This is a true ghat road.

Is the criteria that the ghat has to start in Karnataka and terminate in Karnataka ? If not so, then the below too

1. Belagavi - Chorla - Sankahali - Panaji ( Ghats in both KA and GA, but more on GA side )
2. Dharwad - Anmod - Mollem - Ponda ( Ghats split b/w KA and GA but majority in GA )
3. (Extension of your Bisle ghat listing ) - Subramanya - Jalsoor - Kasaragod
4. Hunsur - Veerarajendrapete - Iritty - Thalassery/Kannur ( ghats mostly in KA, the famed Brahmagiri WLS route )
5. Mysore - Bavali (not hills but forests, so technically not a ghatta in KA, but majorly in KL) - Thalassery
6. Mysore - Batheri - Thalassery/Kannur ( ghats majorly in KL )
7. Mysore - CR Nagara - Bannari - CBE - Palakkad Gap - Palakkad (Majority of the ghats in TN but the KA side sets a good pre-experience). This one is a tester, good hairpins, but navigation made difficult by heavy vehicle movement.

I have not included a number of other small but beautiful ghats that don't terminate in the coast especially around Kollegal/CR Nagar or around Sandur/Deogiri they connect the high-lying towns to the plains, but that's for another day).

Last edited by airguitar : 30th November 2022 at 10:11.
airguitar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 10:02   #22
BHPian

with most of the typical tourist places I searched for a hotel booking to be full, this thread has come to the rescue. I will compose a list of routes I have not done from the list or partially done and try to tick off all those during the new year weekend. The only plan that can ruin this maybe the urge to explore blr-kanyakumari highway or a visit to hyderabad bawarchi (but I think those two I can do an impromptu trip). And of course will do a travelogue for the ghat road tick-off if i plan to undertake this
masterChief007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 11:34   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post

5. Sagara - Kargal - Nagavalli - Bhatkal (State highway)

Summary: If you drive from the Bhatkal coast, the drive starts with a few kilometers of beautiful grasslands till oblivion. Very unique and am told with some wildlife in these grasslands as well. This ghat is protected by Forest check-posts since this area falls under "Sharavathy Wildlife Sanctuary". Early morning and late evening drives may lead to some wildlife sightings. Very few vehicles take this route. So you should be ready for any eventuality like a car breakdown. Better to drive during the day with company. A couple of water streams flow across the road on this route.

Regards
Pramod
Does some one have any recent update on the condition of the above road?
Old 25th December 2022, 19:55   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBRU View Post
Does some one have any recent update on the condition of the above road?
I had done this route in October this year and the roads for most part of the ghat section was good. I doubt whether there will be any drastic change in the road condition since then. A word of caution, this route, though very scenic is lonely with very little vehicle movement. It is better to cross this section in daylight.
Ranyguru2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks