Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2023, 08:56   #16
BHPian

Re: My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
I feel in India big SUVs have a little advantage as compared to sedans. No wonder they're flying off the shelves so fast.
Very true indeed. Many Fortuners (not luxury but large nevertheless and powerful), range rovers etc on the roads play on this aspect. I've even seen a couple of land cruisers trying to intimidate other cars (sedans, hatchbacks).

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th May 2023 at 10:28. Reason: Minor typos.
Auto_guy_101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 14:16   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
These suggestions apply to pretty much anyone who loves to drive without incidents.
Been following all of these 6 points for quite some point, but even more so now after I started driving XUV700.

Reading through this thread, it's good to see how many people are already doing this - these small little unwritten rules which people observe and learn over a period of time makes all the difference between safe and unsafe drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Hahaha … incredibly written but true. Honest to god, I actually do follow points 1 to 6 above, regardless of which car I am driving. Works well most of the time. I don’t flash brake but do start braking a little early so the brake light lights up well in advance.
You have written exactly what I wanted to write.
Even the breaking part also, I brake little more than required first (smoothly though) and then start moving the car again to brake gently 2nd time.

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th May 2023 at 16:13. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
Old 17th May 2023, 16:14   #18
Team-BHP Support

Re: Basic rules to follow to avoid dents and scratches while driving a luxury car

Basic rules to follow to avoid dents and scratches while driving a luxury car - Posts moved to a new thread.
Old 17th May 2023, 16:44   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Basic rules to follow to avoid dents and scratches while driving a luxury car

Thanks for sharing. Why not just name the thread: "Rules to follow to avoid dents and scratches while driving"? Also, moving it to the Road Safety section would be more appropriate.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 17th May 2023 at 16:45.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 10:07   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Thanks for sharing. Why not just name the thread: "Rules to follow to avoid dents and scratches while driving"? Also, moving it to the Road Safety section would be more appropriate.
I agree.

The title mentions luxury car because the original post was part of a BMW M340i ownership thread in the context of the owner suffering few fender bender incidents during the first few months of ownership. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ip-review.html (My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review))

I think there is a misconception about a beater car. Unless you learn to be patient and improve your anticipation as a driver, the risks are always high. Getting into fender-bender incidents and altercations on the road are extremely unpleasant and dangerous no matter which car you drive. It's not just about the cost of repair. I've had my fair share of them during my early driving days. I even got into a fist fight and got beaten up very badly - I was alone in my car and I thought the driver in the other car didn't have company - big miscalculation An unforgettable lesson, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessierider View Post
Just reminding you sir that this tip is not always foolproof. I learned that the hard way very early in my driving days negotiating an ever-narrowing street at our very own city market.
An angel in an auto driver's guise helped my car taste a concrete slab. The confidence with which he was gesturing me to move forward is still clear in my head even after 12 years but what stands out was his reaction of thumping his forehead with his palm the moment the car made contact with the slab.

This video below sure makes me laugh when I remember that predicament.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=nTXPbnYjuEw
Ha ha, I remember this funny commercial, thanks for sharing! When I suspect I am in a real pickle, I get down from the car and check the available space myself and request bystanders to guide me. There are times you do parallel parking on a near empty street and by the time you come back, you are sandwiched between other vehicles - I don't mind getting down and checking the gaps multiple times while I wriggle myself out of the spot. Measure twice, cut once. But yeah I agree, there will be days when luck is not our side.

I have a bit of philosophical angle to this. If you are a child who is very careful with your toys, you will receive really nice gifts.
androdev is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 10:49   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I agree.

I think there is a misconception about a beater car. Unless you learn to be patient and improve your anticipation as a driver, the risks are always high. Getting into fender-bender incidents and altercations on the road are extremely unpleasant and dangerous no matter which car you drive. It's not just about the cost of repair. I've had my fair share of them during my early driving days. I even got into a fist fight and got beaten up very badly - I was alone in my car and I thought the driver in the other car didn't have company - big miscalculation An unforgettable lesson, lol!

Agree. The concept of the beater car in terms of no care for damages works as long as there is no other vehicle involved. If any other vehicle is involved, the repercussions will be the same, I daresay, even more for a beater car since the other vehicle driver knows that you are a careless driver looking at the condition of the car.
Old 18th May 2023, 11:05   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

6. Don't park in weird spots - request/tip/bribe to get a better place or pick another location to park and walk.
100%. I think many enthusiasts annoy their family for being pedantic about where we park our cars. I get this quite often, "Why can't you park here?"

Like the below list from Autotrader,

Basic rules to follow to avoid dents and scratches while driving a luxury car-screen-shot-20230518-3.14.08-pm.png
If you’re a car enthusiast,
  • Finding a parking spot that isn’t under a tree, near loose shopping carts, or has neighboring vehicles encroaching on the lines is necessary.
  • There won’t always be adequate parking, especially in cities, and parking your car on the street can be stressful.
  • Paying more money and walking a few minutes to get the extra peace of mind that a parking garage provides is a sure sign that you’re a car enthusiast.
I personally do not park next to UTEs or P/L plate cars. If you have a cool car then, parking next to the same car model is also a safe option. There's a mutual respect.
Basic rules to follow to avoid dents and scratches while driving a luxury car-img_2489.jpeg
How far would you go to find a spot like this?
Basic rules to follow to avoid dents and scratches while driving a luxury car-img_1830.jpeg

Quote:
I think there is a misconception about a beater car. Unless you learn to be patient and improve your anticipation as a driver, the risks are always high.

I have a bit of philosophical angle to this. If you are a child who is very careful with your toys, you will receive really nice gifts.
My belief on the beater car is also different. A car is a car. Irrespective of the price it needs to be taken care of. Having said that, I can understand and empathize with the need for beater cars in the city. I saw my dad's car in India after many years and it has dents and scratches all over. He's a safe driver. I guess the people care even less about others property these days.
Basic rules to follow to avoid dents and scratches while driving a luxury car-img_3258-1.jpeg

End of the day, I think scratches and dents could happen for reasons beyond our control. They are easily fixable if at all they happen. Can't take things too seriously and let that impact our ability to enjoy our cars the way we want to.
kiku007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 13:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

The tips and the sarcasm were both delightful!

My 4.6+ meter sedan from my earlier 4 meter hatch really made me sweat when judging spots for parallel parking, including some ungainly (and eventually aborted) manoeuvres. I now follow the mantra of being prepared to walk till an acceptable parking spot presents itself.

On getting lured into a narrow street, don't panic and make silly manoeuvres like getting into a kerbside ditch in the interest of progress. A resolute 'No, this will not be risked ' sometimes yields the general public into moving the odd pushcarts and two wheelers where a path presents itself
Old 19th May 2023, 15:52   #24
BHPian

YESSSS! The points in this thread are spot on! As someone said earlier, driving a large SUV will create space for you in city traffic regardless of the badge, mostly because people think they'll be grievously injured if they come into contact with the car (idk why they think sedans would not!) Or that there is a politician inside who will take the damage's worth.

But I see that one very important point about the most important tool in a car's arsenal has been left out, the humble HORN!

I have never been one to enjoy noise pollution, but as the saying goes, when in India, be an INDIAN! (That's not the actual proverb). While everyone else is honking away, remember that your premium car comes with a premium horn. Mercedes Horns almost sound like a truck horn and a train horn had a baby, but in a good way. You need not be concerned about the blasphemous sound from your horn, courtesy of the premium NVH levels of your premium barge, cocooned in luxurious environment with a fantastic audio system that insists all outside noise belongs, outside. You can honk as much as you like without it hurting your eardrums the lightest. Unfortunately for all the pesky bikers and autos, this horn will in fact, impair their hearing, and they will do their best to get away from the sound or drive in a way that doesn't require constant honking.

This is incredibly useful in situations where in spite of your best efforts, you're in the middle of the road with traffic flowing around at the rate of 10 bikers per minute who refuse to let you move in any direction and the risk of getting a scratch from the dozens of bikers and autos around you is astronomically high. People will just realise something is wrong and try and avoid it.

Is this the more gentleman like behavior to get out of a fix? No. But, it is a tried and tested way in the wild roads of India. Also, make sure to not honk so much that some chap decides to turn around and ask what the problem is. Honking like a madman is a skilful art indeed. ��
hrk997 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2023, 03:20   #25
BHPian

Re: My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritedhawan View Post
Being on the right lane is not beneficial as this lane usually consists of people who are in a hurry and would honk endlessly as if thats a way to push people in close bumper to bumper situation to get them moving onwards, additionally following the course of the last paragraph, these people usually have less patience.
Delhi motorists moved to overtaking from left long ago. Right lanes are dominated by slow-mos (driving at 20-30kmph) & morons (who text while driving). They don't give way to anyone unless a big truck comes up behind them & honks its horn hard to scare the living daylights out of them.
Old 21st May 2023, 05:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Lovely ones Androdev. I realised all of these and went through a learning curve myself when I got my A6. It took me a hell of a courage before I could use it inside the Bangalore city traffic in my office commutes.

A couple more that I keep in mind :

1. Mind the overhang. Given the length, you’ll need to take a slightly wide turn, lest the dreaded metal to concrete/metal sound comes from the rear side

2. As much as trying to avoid the dents ourselves, I’ve learnt that the others are equally mindful of this as well. They would never want an incident with expensive cars.
Old 21st May 2023, 11:59   #27
BHPian

I follow all of your above mentioned points Androdev even though I drive a humble Ritz, however I have a few more points to add to your list if you don’t mind:

1) Drive at a pace that keeps you with the traffic; don’t drive too slowly or too fast.

2) Always drive within one lane; don’t straddle two lanes.

3) Always let vehicles that are faster than you overtake you as soon as possible

4) Always keep space between you and the vehicle in front so that you have time to react to brake gradually.

5) Never park or stop near turns or opposite vehicles already parked on the road shoulder thereby creating a bottleneck.

6) Always park your vehicle as straight as possible with the front wheels pointing straight.

7) Park away from two-wheelers, three-wheelers, goods vehicles and badly maintained cars as much as possible.

8) Keep your vehicle looking as clean and well maintained as possible, as people are more careful by nature when they are next to a well maintained vehicle than one that is dirty and badly kept (however there is no way of stopping the careless and the delinquents from damaging your vehicle)

Last edited by RedPhobos : 21st May 2023 at 12:02.
Old 21st May 2023, 12:04   #28
BHPian

Quote:

7. My favourite tip: if Google maps or some road blockade diversion takes you into the middle of a narrow market street, while staring at the inevitability of kiss of concrete and metal with no hope left inside, there is only one thing to do. Take off your goggles, roll your window down, look pleasant and wait for the rescue squad. You will soon see few angels in the guise of auto drivers, etc. clearing the obstacles for you and guiding you with 360 degree precision. You will fear nothing and hate nothing after this.
Hahahaha. Outstanding post sir, especially point no. 7. I've been in an aforementioned car (not driving, just one of the passengers) when the driver read Google maps wrong and took a turn INTO a tight one-way lane under a flyover-underpass. I genuinely thought we're done for, until an entire rescue squad formed in front of our eyes in seconds and I saw these angels come and get the Range Rover out of that jam in 20 seconds. And no harsh words spoken
Old 21st May 2023, 12:14   #29
Senior - BHPian

I always follow 1,3 and 5 even though I drive an Alto. I always do the false braking, even when riding my bike, while approaching signals. I also give a special wide berth when high end cars try to pass me or I pass them.

These steps can be followed by anyone who doesn't want scratches and dings, irrespective of what car he owns.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 15:30   #30
BHPian

Thanks Androdev for the valuable suggestions. Happy that I follow most of the points. Recently added a 2019 Civic and clocked over 5k. However I’m not very much confident to navigate through heavy traffic in city driving conditions. Due to long bonnet and low seating position, it’s difficult to judge where the front end of the car. Always I maintain some extra space, while driving through slow moving traffic. As there are no front parking sensors, so I don’t mind getting down and see where exactly the car in tight parking conditions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks