Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2007, 16:59   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank god your safe and nothing happened. Other than stationary lorries not visible during night, these type of U-turn taking morons are the next biggest contributor of highway accidents not to mention the casual road crossing villagers. Imagine if the bus driver decided to stop mid-way in the turn you would have rammed into him straight on. In a way, the full negotiated turn saved your life, suggest you throw a party to him

I reckon you sold the Ikon but, these type of incidents instill our faith more so on seatbelts, grippier tyres and brakes, even more stronger.
Old 6th August 2007, 10:56   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
As for the car, what happened? From the title, looks like you sold it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
What happened to your Ikon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Why the parted in the title? Hit on pocket? Insurance cost?
Multiple reasons why I sold the car - the suspension was creaky after the accident (I knew that it would take quite an effort to get it back into shape), steering joints needed change, tyre change, the list seemed to be growing quite fast. So finally after 4 years of enjoying it, I managed to sell it off, not before struggling to find a good deal. Got 2.75 L for it, which I thought was not too bad a deal!
Old 6th August 2007, 10:57   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Dude, What tyres were U driving on??
stock zvts with tubes
Old 10th August 2007, 12:08   #19
BHPian

You got a good deal for your icon. I've been to GQ two times and noticed these U turns. They are really dangerous. I also bring down the speed and be double cautious whenever I see a Roadways bus. I've felt that most of the truck drivers are better disciplined than these bus drivers.
Old 10th August 2007, 12:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor_it_baby View Post
Multiple reasons why I sold the car - the suspension was creaky after the accident (I knew that it would take quite an effort to get it back into shape), steering joints needed change, tyre change, the list seemed to be growing quite fast. So finally after 4 years of enjoying it, I managed to sell it off, not before struggling to find a good deal. Got 2.75 L for it, which I thought was not too bad a deal!
WOw thats a great deal
Old 10th August 2007, 14:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floorit
stock zvts with tubes
No wonder!
Even i had those stupid mrfs in my ikon and just changed them to softer hankooks.
Old 13th August 2007, 14:27   #22
BHPian

Really lucky that you all escaped unhurt. It's really hard to predict what those morons would do on the roads.

En route to Krishnagiri from Chennai, I had seen several two wheelers, tractors, autos etc coming in the opposite direction in the innermost lane! I wouldn't have believed anyone would do that, till I saw them at it. It looks like if they want to get to the other side of the road and the gap in the median is far off, they just cross into the innermost lane (of all the lanes!) and drive along the median till they find the gap to cross to the other side.
Old 28th August 2007, 15:34   #23
BHPian

Even I had the same experience on the GQ between Chennai bangalore. It is mostly near the towns of Ambur, Vaniambadi and Vellore. A couple of weeks back, I had to sqeeze my car inbetween a 2-wheeler in the innermost lane and a truck I was overtaking at 110 kmph in the night on a curve. I did not realize he was in my lane until I had committed myself to overtake. I thought he was in the opposite direction due to the curve. But still went ahead with it !! Would have scared the wits out of this moron.
Old 12th September 2007, 13:01   #24
BHPian

Hi PJ & DWind, I've had the rather uncomfortable experience of meeting these drivers too, & yes, Vellore, Ambur, & Vaniyambadi seem to be particularly afflicted with this phenomena. Ambur deserves special mention, where the highway cuts across town.

Last year, while traveling to Coimbatore, I was unfortunate enough to witness an Alto plough into the back of a truck at around 80 kmph - just beyond Ambur. The moronic truck driver had stopped suddenly in the middle lane so that he could take an U-turn ! Thankfully the driver & passenger were wearing seat-belts. The lady in the passenger seat had her child on her lap, a deplorable practice on the highway. But, being the strange creatures that moms are, she shielded the infant completely & bore the brunt of the impact on herself ! The child was largely unhurt ( yay ), minor laceration to bits of glass mostly. We later found out that they were on their way to a weekend getaway at a resort in Yercaud. Needless to say, the front of the Alto was totally crumpled. I later came to know that it had cost them 1.2 lakhs to repair, & that insurance only covered half that amount !

So, to those venturing out on to the highway, a bit of advice - till the masses are enlightened with proper highway etiquette, buckle-up, stay alert, & keep infants in baby-seats, in the rear...
Old 12th September 2007, 21:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thank God you made it safely!
I have seen this happen so many times!I hate it when those tractors with trailers try to make U-turns through the breaks in the median. Really scary,especially when you are doing close to 3-digit speeds..
Old 12th September 2007, 22:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Alhamdulillaa..Thank god that you all were safe.
Old 12th September 2007, 22:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

Almost similar incident happened to my grand parents two months ago on GQ.
They were travelling in my Dad's Accent Viva CRDI to Vizag. Only they and the driver were in the car.

I believe the driver was doing 100-120 on that road as my father noticed him doing those speeds once earlier. They were travelling through a village and noticed a tractor trying to get in to their lane through the median. They still had goog gap and the driver slammed the breaks. The car dragged all along and hit the tractor. Luckily nobody was injured. To give an idea, my grand father is 85 and my grand mother 78. The car was in driveable situation but the radiator was leaking, fenders, bumper, bonnet all heavily dented. Even the headlights were working thouh they needed replacement later. A mechanic reached the spot from Hyundai After SS in my home town, fixed the radiator temporarily and drove back the car. My father-in-law and few other relatives reached the place but the police let the tractor driver let go by then. The mistake was on both the sides.

The damage costed around 77000. I don't have the exact details of the parts replaced as i haven't visited my hometown since then. My Dad is using the car and he says the car is just as new. I made sure that the frame is not damaged. The car was returned back to us after 8 days.

Next time all the cars in my family are going to have ABS.
Old 16th October 2007, 23:20   #28
BHPian

Seriously that Chennai-Bang GQ stretch can rattle even the most numb headed drivers. If you want to see the various types of vehicles that ply on our roads, from six-wheeled trucks to no wheels at all, just observe all the vehicles heading right at you in the fast lane. And if its not a vehicle, it's probably some nut or animal(if there really is a difference here) dawdling like a drunken soldier on probably the least pedestrian friendly sidewalk you'll find. And if you are lucky survive this, you'll end up getting your car scratched in Banglore's traffic anyway!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks