Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2023, 11:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

PUC centres mandated to record videos during vehicle checks

Getting a PUC certificate just got a bit more complicated. The government has now mandated all PUC centres to record a video during pollution assessment.

PUC centres mandated to record videos during vehicle checks-universalpuccentrerauindorepuctest2t8hnz1.jpg

PUC centres are now required to record a short video while conducting pollution level checks on vehicles. The 10-second clips will have to be uploaded to the Vahan portal.

Until now, PUC centres only had to upload a picture of the vehicle. However, there have been several complaints about some centres issuing certificates without conducting proper inspections. In a bid to curb this practice, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) has mandated video documentation.

While the latest move by the government will ensure that all vehicles are properly inspected before receiving a PUC certificate, obtaining one is likely to get costlier. As per the current rates, 2-wheelers are charged Rs 60, while petrol and diesel 4-wheelers are charged Rs 80 and Rs 100, respectively.

Delhi is the first state to implement the new system. Out of the 97 lakh registered vehicles in the capital, more than 45 lakh vehicles were issued PUC certificates until November 30.

Source: Economic Times

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 27th December 2023 at 11:24.
TusharK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 11:49   #2
BANNED

Re: PUC centres mandated to record videos during vehicle checks

I think this is an excellent decision. We know that false certificates are available for a price. Maybe the picture of the plate should printed on the certificate. This will further reinforce the decision.

I support this whole heartedly. Video recording will not help by itself. With cheap Deskjets the certificates can be computer generated. The best way is the ask the test centre to put its stamp and signature on it.

This fraud was there in the UK also. The annual MOT certificate was available for a price, if you looked around.
Old 27th December 2023, 12:02   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Bloody hilarious.
So Delhi is the first place to implement this. Great.
One, are there any cars left here?

Second, state of play was, get a PUC, cant drive your car on road, have a goon come by, snatch your car, and scrap it.
Now it is Get your PUC, make a wedding video out of it, cant drive your car on road, have a goon come by, snatch your car, and scrap it.

Everything they are trying on cars is not making a difference. I am yet to see even the dumbest of people not realising the concept of doing the same thing and expecting a different result. But these guys are the sludge of the gene pool, it seems.

I wish they make this a nationwide thing right from scrapping to banning, and then maybe people will come out against it.
mayankk is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 14:26   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
While the latest move by the government will ensure that all vehicles are properly inspected before receiving a PUC certificate, obtaining one is likely to get costlier. As per the current rates, 2-wheelers are charged Rs 60, while petrol and diesel 4-wheelers are charged Rs 80 and Rs 100, respectively.
I paid 200 for 4 wheeler diesel PUC. Are the rates mentioned above are standard across the board or varies from state to state?
Old 27th December 2023, 15:07   #5
BHPian

I have a strong suspicion that the whole PUC scheme is an elaborate scam to ensure lifetime income for family and friends of the connected.

Dig into the antecedents of PUC service providers and you might end up with relatives of RTO officials.

In any case, these certificates are a sham, because the actual polluters like transport vehicles (and even two wheelers) running on kerosene get away scot free, while only the people who follow the law are penalised.

If the government intended to make PUCs a tool to actually curb vehicular pollution, they would conduct spot checks of tail pipe emissions.

We need effective legislation to stop people from burning adulterated fuel and kerosene in their vehicles. As of now, the only way they can be stopped is if they use subsidised PDS kerosene, and that's not the job of the RTO or the traffic police dept.
davelok is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 15:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Everything they are trying on cars is not making a difference. I am yet to see even the dumbest of people not realising the concept of doing the same thing and expecting a different result. But these guys are the sludge of the gene pool, it seems.

I wish they make this a nationwide thing right from scrapping to banning, and then maybe people will come out against it.
They are not dumb, they know it does nothing but it's a convenient excuse for them to snatch away the average person's perfectly working car and then drive up new automobile sales.

It's a win-win, convince the general populace that they are actually doing something while doing nothing to address the actual problem. Get massive amounts of kickbacks from the automobile lobby. Get even more bribes from the groups/corporations causing the actual pollution to ensure that action won't be taken against them.

All the while, the environment suffers horribly. Remember, re-using is way more environmentally friendly than even recycling.

Last edited by Cresterk : 27th December 2023 at 15:17.
Cresterk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 15:36   #7

The increase in cost will only burden the citizens even more. Already the insurance, fuel and maintenance costs have skyrocketed along with the vehicle purchase price, and will only further serve to fuel harassment of citizens by the law enforcers.
Rather than the end users, the govt should try to put a stop on the malpractices of mod shops, auto manufacturers, etc.
Old 27th December 2023, 16:07   #8
BHPian

This is a great initiative. I know some guys in my area who get fake PUC certificates directly. However, is PUC really useful? I see many vehicles with expired PUC and their owners are not worried about it at all. Also, is ₹80 the standard rate for all petrol 4 wheelers in India or for a particular region? I just got PUC for our car yesterday in Pune, it costed me ₹125 and is valid for 6 months.

Last edited by adiiityaaa : 27th December 2023 at 16:16. Reason: Typo
Old 27th December 2023, 16:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Lets see what difference would a video make? Most PUC testing centers do not measure the RPM at which the test is being done. I have seen only a few connect something magnetic near the engine which they claim measures engine RPM during the test process. Rest all just ask to keep the car on or at the most ask to rev till 2500RPM for the test.

How will a short video be proof enough that the test is fone correctly? Just insert the proble in the exhaust and ask the driver to do some revving. Is that it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
We know that false certificates are available for a price. Maybe the picture of the plate should printed on the certificate. This will further reinforce the decision.

I support this whole heartedly. Video recording will not help by itself. With cheap Deskjets the certificates can be computer generated. The best way is the ask the test centre to put its stamp and signature on it.
Picture of the car is recorded on all PUC across North India (I thought its a nationwide process). I do not think that uploading video will be of much use either.
PaddleShifter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 21:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

PUC testing for private cars is a pain. To be done every 6 months. Most Emission testing centers are unable to test diesel cars which cannot overrev in neutral.

Many are not willing to do diesel cars where they have to get out of their cabin. They do only petrol where they don't have to get out of their chairs.

PUC is the last resort for traffic cops to catch offenders who might have valid licence, registration, Tax paid, latest number plate, etc. I mean every 6 months who remembers to get the PUC check done?

Previously my service center used to do PUC, but now they have stopped.

For Mercs and I guess other german cars, PUC is done through OBD2 reader. Please adopt the right method instead of giving us a fake certificate after manually entering values because your machines don't read our car emissions.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 16:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiiityaaa View Post
This is a great initiative. I know some guys in my area who get fake PUC certificates directly. However, is PUC really useful? I see many vehicles with expired PUC and their owners are not worried about it at all. Also, is ₹80 the standard rate for all petrol 4 wheelers in India or for a particular region? I just got PUC for our car yesterday in Pune, it costed me ₹125 and is valid for 6 months.
In MH we have steep rate for PUC. Petrol 4 wheeler 125 and diesel 150. In my city they charge 20-30 rs more over and above the mentioned amount.
Old 29th December 2023, 10:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
PUC testing for private cars is a pain. To be done every 6 months.
PUC testing is a pain, agreed. Why the quality of fuel sold is not monitored ? That itself can lead to higher pollution ? Bad diesel on highway and bingo, you have black smoke making you a polluter. There should be sensors for bad quality of fuel in cars and if bad fuel is detected, the car owner should be compensated.

Not sure of BS6, but for BS4, the validity of PUC is 1 year and for BS3 its 6 months.

I have 2012 Innova which is BS3 as it was bought in Vadodara, a city not in the list of 13 cities that has BS4 when we got our car. PUC validity is 6 months, and in case of my 2014 City which is BS4, the PUC validity is 1 year. You are right, getting petrol vehicle PUC center is easier than diesel. Wonder what is the crime committed by diesel car owners.

All cars that are complying by emission standard prevalent at the time of sale of the vehicle should be allowed to ply on roads.
Old 29th December 2023, 14:24   #13
BHPian

I really don't understand all this drama of having to get a new PUC certificate every six months. I mean what is the point of this charade? Except that it is a revenue generating exercise both at the time of obtaining the certificate and indirectly a penal revenue source for people who forget to get it renewed. What other purpose does it solve? The govt. is ineffective in controlling the pollution and this is just a smokescreen to show they are serious. Just shameful, cheap and a lame attempt by the govt. to unnecessarily trouble us folks. I don't think this kind of a certificate is required anywhere else in the world and that too every 6 months. What is the govt. trying to prove here?

In Australia you are required to do a roadworthy every time you sell the vehicle. So that makes sense. However there the Police has the power to inspect your vehicle on the roads and if they deem it unroadworthy they can seize it. Here they don't have any such manpower or skills so they just make yet another senseless rule without having to give it a proper thought. Rant over.
Gupts007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 11:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvatron View Post
I paid 200 for 4 wheeler diesel PUC. Are the rates mentioned above are standard across the board or varies from state to state?
I paid 120 INR last month to renew the PUC for my 2013 Honda city, valid for 1 year. I remember to pay 90 INR last year for the renewal from the same guy.
Old 31st December 2023, 16:51   #15
BHPian

I paid 225 for 1 year validity in Pune. Did I get cheated?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks