Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2024, 21:28   #1
BHPian

Driving under a yellow warning for very heavy snow!

Back in August of 2023, I had my first experience of motorway driving during an active yellow warning (First experience of driving on Swedish motorways in extreme rain) (due to extremely heavy rain), and yesterday, I got my second experience, this time, driving under extremely heavy snowfall!

When I called my wife during the day and asked what she'd planned for dinner, she mentioned pizza, and my interest was piqued. Both my wife and I love pizza from Pizza Hut, but ever since they shut down their only outlet in Linköping where we live, we make the trip to the neighboring city of Nörrköping, whenever we feel like some Pizza Hut pizza. She wasn't really insistent, but I felt that a pizza would be rather nice, and told her to order online mentioning a later time of pickup, so I could finish up my work and do the 50 km drive to Pizza Hut. It's barely a 30 minute drive, and with the seat-warmer on full blast, the pizzas stay perfectly warm, we've done this in the past, so I didn't give it the slightest second thought; I should have!

As I finished up and was preparing to leave, my wife called me to say that it'd started snowing. Again, I didn't think much of it, as snow is hardly news. What I didn't know though, was that there was a yellow warning for extremely heavy that had been put out by the national weather provider.

Driving under a yellow warning for very heavy snow!-yellow.jpg

The hours? Between 1700 hrs in the evening to 1000 hrs the next morning. What was expected? The unloading of around 10 centimeters of snow, 15-20 centimeters in many places. Where? Linköping (my city), Nörrköping (where I wanted to drive to!), and many surrounding areas!

Driving under a yellow warning for very heavy snow!-conditions.jpg

Driving under a yellow warning for very heavy snow!-map.jpg
They'd even put out a map showing the affected regions, something that would have convinced me to stay home, if only I'd seen the report!!

When I reached my car in the parking lot, fifteen past five, it was already quite dark, and the car was already covered under a thick mantle of snow. Reaching for the snow-brush, I brushed away the snow even as more kept descending. I hoped this was a heavy but brief spell, as I hopped in and turned on the heater and defogger full blast to clear up the windows. The drive through town was uneventful, but even as I hit the on-ramp for the motorway, it was clear that this was not just any ordinary burst of snow. The on-ramp was completely snow covered, and it not even possible to make out where the road ended and the shoulder began. And the snow was now chucking down, hard. The motorway is a 110 km/h road, and in normal conditions, there's simply no way I'm joining it at anything less than the full 110 km/h, but there was no way I was going to push the pedal to the metal in these conditions. I joined the motorway at around 70 km/h and found others doing the same or driving even slower.

I decided to slot myself behind a truck as that's generally the safest choice in challenging conditions, but within a few moments, he started to drop his speed. From 70, to 60, and then to 55. At 55, I started worrying that even cars doing 80 would be quite a bit faster and might not expect me to be trundling so slowly. Even as I was starting to consider passing him, he turned on his warning blinkers, got to the shoulder and stopped!
I was not very far behind him and didn't decide soon enough, so I too ended up turning on my warning blinkers and stopping a bit behind the truck. Having done so, I now regretted the decision already, as I now had to pass this truck, starting from standstill, and it would not even be safe to simply floor it, given the conditions. I dismissed mental images of a much faster vehicle plowing into me, checked my rearview for a traffic-free patch, checked the blinspot, indicated and made my pass. Having passed the now stopped truck (which I suspect stopped because he didn't have proper winter tires that were needed for the prevailing conditions), I picked off a few more slow moving cars before finding a gap that was large enough for me to safely get back to the right lane, without being either too close to the vehicle(s) ahead or behind me, and vacated the passing lane.

Unlike rainwater which helps the wiper blades to move smoothly, snow or a combination of snow and slush ice is harder to handle. If you leave the wipers on full blast, they start squeaking and possibly overheating over the clear glass, or making screeching noises as ice chunks get dragged across the windscreen, but if the wipers are turned off even for a bit, the visibility worsens quite a bit. Turning on the heat full blast helped a bit as it kept the glass free of condensation buildup at least, and helped melt down some of the ice too. I'd now slotted myself behind another truck, which meant I didn't have to play the guessing game about where the road ended or lanes were separated, and all seemed well, till disaster struck. A big chunk of dirt and snow loosened from the truck ahead and landed on my windscreen and the wipers simply couldn't clear it. I was afraid that the sand/gravel mixed with the snow could scratch up the glass, so had to turn off the wipers, blast away with the wiper fluid and just perform one or two tentative wiper strokes to ensure that the windscreen still offered me a view of what lay ahead. I saw that there was a fuel station some two kilometers away, and made up my mind to stop there to clean up my windscreen properly before proceeding.

Even as I gingerly got off the motorway and proceeded to park the car, the incoming snow had already managed to clear up a lot of the grime, and a new blast of wiper-fluid managed to get the remaining grime off the screen. The pizzeria was still a good 20 minutes away, but the snow had started to recede just a bit, just enough to allow me to drive without being seriously worried.

When I pulled into the parking lot Pizza Hut and walked up to the reception, I was nearly a full hour late. I explained my predicament to the staff who kindly offered to fix me up with fresh pizzas instead of the soggy and cold pizzas in the boxes that had been waiting for me. After a short wait, I picked up the now steaming hot pizzas, thanked the staff, who wished me a safe journey back home, and got back to the car. The return journey was far less scary as the snow had let off just a bit, and my eyes were already adjusted for the conditions. I realized that I just needed to drive alertly, and ensure that I didnt't end up being part of the statistics that are shared after a weather episode like this. I did however see plenty of vehicles with their hazard lights, some pulled over as they were too rattled to continue, and some which had actually driven off the road, having been unable to fathom where the road ended. Nothing really scary though.

I did most of the return trip at a steady 80 km/h and when I exited the motorway, realized that for the first time in a while, I was actually above the posted speed limit! I quickly dropped the speed some more and downshifted too. This was the first time since my drive in torrential rain in August that I'd spent a large part of time in gears below 6th, while on the motorway! Entering the city, I found that the inner streets had received far more snow since I'd last seen them, and I even came across a multi-car incident at a roundabout, which told me to keep my guard up even though I'd made it back to town. It was only after entering my parking garage that I allowed myself to fully relax.

Driving under a yellow warning for very heavy snow!-20240206_193718.jpg

I'd been out in some really bad weather, and had come back unscathed. Would I have made the trip had I checked the weather beforehand? Definitely not; having made the trip however, I was happy that I'd acquitted myself well, driving sensibly and carefully in those challenging conditions. I'll certainly be less nervous in a pinch, should such a situation arise again. The pizzas were still hot, as I'd not forgotten to turn on the seat-warmer all the way Time to enjoy the fruits of the hard labor, I thought, as I made my way to my apartment, leaving behind a trail of fragrant pizza aroma in my wake.
supermax is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 02:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving under a yellow warning for very heavy snow!

That's called White Knuckle driving
Living in the north eastern part of US, I have had my fair share of those as well. You did the very sensible thing of maintaining a safe distance. It's the lane changes that are usually the most tricky.
amitoj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 15:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Living in the north eastern part of US, I have had my fair share of those as well. You did the very sensible thing of maintaining a safe distance. It's the lane changes that are usually the most tricky.
Oh, absolutely. I always make sure I have a really good separation from the car ahead of me. That's my insurance, in case I need that distance to come to a full stop. I find it hard to believe how people can put their lives and that of others at stake every time they tailgate others. I never hog the passing lane, but still see others trying to get real close to me even as I'm passing another car. I get out of the way as soon as I can as I really don't want anyone so close behind me. I've heard that some people actually brake test tailgaters, but I think that's just a recipe to make a bad situation far worse, so would not dream of doing it myself.
Old 8th February 2024, 16:04   #4

I got a chance to drive in Minneapolis, USA during winter season last to last year. Passed my driving test there while it was snowing which was an adventure in its own right. So I can completely understand your experience.

Some of the things which I learnt there:
1. Having All-Weather or Winter tyres is must and definitely.

2. At all costs there should be no sudden inputs be it Acceleration, Breaking or Steering.

3. Rather than Breaking you should rely on being slower than usual depending on conditions.

4. I had car equipped with AWD and traction control kicked in many times during accelerating in snow.

5. Never overestimate your grip. Even with all precautions my car had skid past the stop line on a signal when I applied breaks a bit too hard. Luckily there wasn't' much traffic.

Overall its an experience in itself where you need to constantly judge what kind of grip you might get depending on conditions. Also, more than snow hard ice which is more dangerous I feel.
racer_sk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 18:10   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermax View Post
...not even possible to make out where the road ended and the shoulder began...
Kudos to you for driving safely, and making it through without incident. You did great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Living in the north eastern part of US, I have had my fair share of those as well....
Brought back memories of when I accepted a business travel invite to suburban Boston in peak winter, thinking how bad could it be. It was early Feb, -12˚C the day I landed at Logan! Yeah, not my brightest idea.

It wasn't snowing the day I landed, but Air France had left my checked bags back in Paris during the layover so I sat at Logan's baggage claims in my tropical weather clothes until late evening while my bags arrived on the next flight. No snow thankfully so I turned on the heater in the rental Grand Cherokee (even the steering wheel was heated, I had no idea this existed!) and made it to my hotel.

Work commute wasn't a hassle as I lived close to the office, but the last day, local colleagues decided we should go get pizza at The Rail Trail in Hudson (some of the best pizza I've eaten, though that isn't saying much TBH), a fair distance away (and the town has a tricky roundabout that stumps even the locals). Snow was predicted so I left my car at the hotel and rode shotgun with a colleague on the way there, and in all the frivolity, we all realised too late that I was the only sober guy in the group, and before this trip, I'd never driven in even a sprinkling of snow, forget a full-blown storm where you couldn't tell the tarmac from the footpath.

Imagine me driving, trying to make sense of the roads, the signals, the footpaths, other cars, one eye on GMaps, while everyone else enjoyed an impromptu karaoke in the car!

When I parked at the hotel, the snow had iced over from rain that followed, and my car started sliding sideways (thankfully the next slot was empty). I somehow managed to park it so it won't move anymore, and hauled my freezing butt into the lobby, where another round of partying was already underway.

I had to hold my knuckles under the warm water faucet for a few minutes to get them to turn back a natural color.

White knuckles indeed!

Moral of the story: the lure of good pizza can be injurious to health

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th February 2024 at 18:22.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 16:17   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_sk View Post
I

5. Never overestimate your grip. Even with all precautions my car had skid past the stop line on a signal when I applied breaks a bit too hard.
Found myself nodding at all of your points. I actually have studded winter tires, which is the best kind in the market, but it's a bit of a pain to drive with, and sees some accelerated wearing when there's no snow, but it gives one a lot of peace of mind when the conditions are bad. Yup, takes a bit of getting used to, before one learns to drive smoothly and safely in winter. My most common problem was wheelspin at the starts. As my car is a station-wagon which only has a 1 liter turbo petrol engine, I need to start with a bit of gas on the starts, at least in the summers, but the same amount of gas at starts during the winters results in wheelspin! And yes, staying in the lower gears even fractionally longer results in the stability control system kicking in (mine's a manual), so one needs to upshift also slightly quicker, or else have wheelspin and ESP deployment taking place. Love the ESP on the Skoda though; it takes care of the matters when required, without any big fuss. I remember the first time I accelerated like I do in the summers, while making a turn; the ESP light went on, I felt the car lose traction and regain it rather quickly. I've since learned to drive more smoothly so I rarely see the ESP light go on these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Kudos to you for driving safely, and making it through without incident. You did great!

and in all the frivolity, we all realised too late that I was the only sober guy in the group, and before this trip, I'd never driven in even a sprinkling of snow, forget a full-blown storm where you couldn't tell the tarmac from the footpath.

IMoral of the story: the lure of good pizza can be injurious to health
Many thanks, both for your kind words, and your anecdote! That makes it two BHPian stories of pizza-love and driving in snow! Yup, the things we are prepared to do for good pizza! In my case, I learned to drive here and am well aware of the rules and yet found the workload of driving in snow much higher than normal, so your predicament must have been far more dire, given that you were just a visitor there, with little or no real experience of even interpreting their signs, not to mention driving on the other side of the road! That fact that you got everybody back safely is ample evidence that you did a stellar job too!
Old 10th February 2024, 23:38   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I have driven quite a lot in snowy conditions in multiple states in the US.

However, the most scary and thrilling experience was driving in a BLIZZARD for about 50 miles on US 2 on our way back from Leavenworth, Washington in December 2022.

It was the most scary experience ever despite me having lots of experience.

These pictures don't do justice but, it was like a white blanket in front of the eyes where there is no way to make out where the road is ending, center line or shoulder line.

It was snowing continuously and tons of cars got stranded on the side of road as they were probably not AWD cars.

We were praying and driving as the roads were slippery, with massive snow capped mountains on both side.

Once we reached the low-lands and weather cleared. We heaved a sigh of relief and now when I look back it was the most amazing drive of my life.

Driving under a yellow warning for very heavy snow!-img_4175.jpg

Driving under a yellow warning for very heavy snow!-img_4258.jpg

Driving under a yellow warning for very heavy snow!-img_4256.jpg

Driving under a yellow warning for very heavy snow!-img_4212.jpg

Driving under a yellow warning for very heavy snow!-img_4253.jpg

Driving under a yellow warning for very heavy snow!-img_4242.jpg

Driving under a yellow warning for very heavy snow!-img_4245.jpg

Driving under a yellow warning for very heavy snow!-img_4249.jpg

Driving under a yellow warning for very heavy snow!-img_4225.jpg

Driving under a yellow warning for very heavy snow!-img_4213.jpg

Driving under a yellow warning for very heavy snow!-img_4205.jpg

Driving under a yellow warning for very heavy snow!-img_4202.jpg

Driving under a yellow warning for very heavy snow!-img_4203.jpg

Driving under a yellow warning for very heavy snow!-img_4190.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 09:56   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermax View Post
Both my wife and I love pizza from Pizza Hut, but ever since they shut down their only outlet in Linköping where we live, we make the trip to the neighboring city of Nörrköping, whenever we feel like some Pizza Hut pizza.
Men are going to see this and be like Hell yeah!
Also, you're my new spirit animal 💪

Last edited by z_3en : 18th February 2024 at 09:58. Reason: Had to compliment more
z_3en is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 15:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is a very good video that breaks down the different tires and when you need what kind of tire.

Quote:
2. At all costs there should be no sudden inputs be it Acceleration, Breaking or Steering.
A sub-bullet to that should be to never combine turning with braking or acceleration. I learnt this at a High Performance Driving Event and have carried it over to driving under snowy conditions.This means you start braking early and gently before turning and take your turns slowly.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks