Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2024, 11:41   #16
BHPian

Re: Unauthorized Stickers banned on private vehicles in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexonguy View Post
https://twitter.com/ChennaiTraffic/s...61675958313366

Restriction includes stickers of the departments/institutions name such as PRESS, Secretariat, TNEB, GCC, Defence including Police departments in private vehicles in Chennai City
GREAT JOB GUYS !!! what a way to make our roads safer. Cant even recall how many accidents and incidents those stickers have caused. A piece of adhesive had wreaked havoc on our roads

Anyways ,Do these rules also apply to those cars owned by the babus? the ones with jet black tint, fancy number plates and flag poles with their idiotic "party" ? or will they be allowed to scoot free as always.

Chennai has this habit of realising that an old law exists and suddenly jumps to snag violators. Remember the "ban" on green colored cars? such dumb moves never work. The ones who are actual good citizens will remove their stickers like "police" and "defence" while the gunda gardi guys will still carry on with their "show of force".

What happened when window tints were banned? Every decent citizen got rid of them. And yet you still find a certain type of moron using them and cops do not even attempt to stop them.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th April 2024 at 13:46. Reason: typos
amoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 12:03   #17
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I am NOT in favour of any ban on stickers. It's a bit of personalization of one's own car that makes driving on Indian roads a bit less boring.

Are wraps also banned? Are GOI stickers or On Government Duty also banned? I have a sticker of "Farmer by Profession" on my car. And some of T-BHP. Why not?

Let's also ban billboards on road sides since they really disturb us.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th April 2024 at 13:47. Reason: Typos and formatting.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 12:42   #18
BHPian

Sticker usage varies greatly. Some stickers earn respect, while others are misused, such as police or politician stickers. For instance, placing a police sticker on a private vehicle and parking in a no-parking zone or in front of someone else's house, assuming immunity from police action or deterring the public, constitutes an abuse of power and should be prohibited.

Another example is doctors; people desire doctors to be easily identifiable when booking tickets for trains or flights, and they expect doctors to assist in emergencies but restrciting them not to use doctor sticker on their car is something wrong, it should be allowed. This kind of identification rightfully earns respect. As a community, Team-BHP does not condone racing or bullying so there should be no problem on showing Automotive community, this is much better than showing off caste related stickers. Not to mention stickers of the press and advocates, often with excessively dark tinting. This behavior suggests an attempt to evade questioning by law enforcement and should also be banned.

At the end of the day, it boils down to one thing: tints are banned, but government vehicles, politicians' cars, and vehicles with advocate stickers continue to use it without consequence. Therefore, this law becomes ineffective and merely burdensome for the common people. Those in positions of power will persist in their usage regardless.
raptor_diwan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 12:43   #19
BHPian

No problem. Buy one of those LED frames with your party leaders' photo, stick it on your dashboard, and you'll be good to go!

Last edited by buzzy_boy : 30th April 2024 at 12:47.
buzzy_boy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 12:46   #20
BHPian

If anything, Govt should first ban those dangerous flag poles in TN ; its unique to this state alone as I see it and can be fatal in case of accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Quite a few Range Rovers and Glosters with Police stickers in Mumbai. Frankly these should not be allowed. Only Govt department owned cars should have these
They are sponsored by the businessmen or companies who can afford them, Google Amabni's security entourage
Thilak29 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 12:53   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Frankly these should not be allowed. Only Govt department owned cars should have these
Sorry for off topic : most of the central and state governments are encouraging to use contract vehicles to reduce overspending and corruption. The central government is very strict on it and so every year there is a tender process. Our finance minister uses a humble Ciaz while most of the state government departments uses Fortuners and Endeavours
greyhound82 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 15:51   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The taxi operator has been awarded a contract for a fixed period to do government duties. In such cases it should read as "on govt of India duty" or of the respective state/UT simply, because the taxi is not government property...............
The taxi to the extreme right displays Bharat Sarkar U/T, meaning "Govt of India undertaking" boldly to fox the observers.
OT, Is it just me to observe the coincidence that it is the same numbers rearranged for both the cars? And that too, only one alphabet is changed. Seems like an IQ test foto.
Neil Roy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 16:24   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
In such cases it should read as "on govt of India duty" or of the respective state/UT simply, because the taxi is not government
The taxi to the extreme right displays Bharat Sarkar U/T, meaning "Govt of India undertaking" boldly to fox the observers.
According to the official code of conduct, private vehicles are prohibited from displaying department boards, while official vehicles are permitted to do so. Currently, departments award contracts for a year, during which they install department boards bearing respective service flags, such as Customs, GST, and ED, following this procedure, as far as I know.
Old 30th April 2024, 16:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

Any move to enforce the letter and spirit of the law is welcome! We have for so long been attuned to violating it, that any such move seems trivial or shocking.
Streching the topic, how are aftermarket wraps treated by the law?
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 20:59   #25
BHPian

Hope this is applicable to those heavily tinted cars with advocate sticker.
Piston_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2024, 08:04   #26
BHPian

I concur with the view that any attempt to enforce rules is welcome. Whether the implementation will go awry or not uniform can be dealt with later.

Stickers can be for personalization purposes but I believe that most use them to flaunt their privilege and attempt subtle intimidation or influence to get away with poor driving/rule-breaking. On the flip side, I have never seen (or heard of) a doctor, lawyer, police, or army person help support in any way in any instance where one would believe their services would be welcome, reinforcing my belief.

If anything I think this should also be extended to include the removal of all vehicle adornments that obstruct the driver's view - rearview mirror stickers of gods, family members, ancestors, and the horrible practice of packing the rear parcel shelf with toys, luggage, etc. Not to mention those ridiculous fancy number plates that render any identification of the vehicle number impossible. I have seen some with Tamil scripts replacing the English alphabet.

In all, a great first step, in my view!
Arun Varma is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks