Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2007, 13:53   #76
Senior - BHPian

Will somebody take the trouble of educating us on how to manage a skid? Most of us own front-wheel drive cars.
I'd read in the Reader's Digest about 25 years ago that one should brake before entering a sharp turn (not during), and accelerate while pulling out of the curve. In case of skidding, it advised us to stop braking and accelerate in the direction of the skid to bring it under control. Since I did not own a car then, I am not sure if it applied to FWD cars or rear wheel ones.
This apart, in a recent dvd released by Autocar, I heard the commentator stating that ' you must have been told by your driving instructor that one should either be accelerating or braking, but not coasting'. Can anyone throw some light into this too?

Last edited by vnabhi : 8th October 2007 at 13:55. Reason: Forgot a crucial line
Old 8th October 2007, 19:33   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I heard the commentator stating that ' you must have been told by your driving instructor that one should either be accelerating or braking, but not coasting'. Can anyone throw some light into this too?

The road conditions are such in this country, that you can either Accelerate or Brake

You really cannot drive peacefully at constant speed (similar to coasting)

Braking and acceleration ends up giving us bad mileage and stress to the engine parts.

It looks like Indian citizens are willing to give up the pleasure of Coasting, yet complain and be kanjoos about Mileage.
Old 14th October 2007, 16:33   #78
BHPian

Update: New Tyres

Hi all,

Chose Michelin Energy XM1 185/70s and dumped my JK 165/80s.

(3350 each tyre - chose 4 - Reebok Track Suit + Michelin Cap Free - 25 Min Installation + Balancing + Alignment. Got 800 bucks for old JKs)

Unbelievable - the tyre noise has virtually disappeared, the ride has become way less bumpy - haven't tested hard cornering yet but I think they'll hold up quite well. Feels like I've bought a new car.

Highly Highly Recommended. Any Swift owners with 165/80s- please dump them and upgrade at the earliest!
Old 21st October 2007, 11:56   #79
BHPian

Hi Himan,

Congrats on the improved ride after the tyre change, did you change to alloy rims as well?

This thread has helped me a lot since i've just booked a Swift VDi. Now I know some of the not-so-good sides of driving the car.

Planning to upsize the tyres to 185/70 R14 (same size as ZXi) with alloys as soon as my ride gets delivered.

Cheers,
G

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks