Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2008, 11:45   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Toyota vs Toyota Accident

Last evening, my Bhabhi and two year old niece were on the way to Valkeshwar, and were waiting at the traffic light right before SiddhiVinayak Temple. After being stationary for about 30 seconds, there was a LOUD whack from the year...an AVIS taxi rammed into the rear of their Innova at considerable speed. My little niece, who was sitting on the middle rear seat (on the lap of my Bhabhi) was thrown forward with the force of the impact, almost until the gear lever. Luckily there are no external injuries to either of them or to the driver. Cops quickly gathered to the spot and an FIR was lodged, clearly stating that the Corolla was driving in a rash manner. What is surprising is that there was no tyre squeal, giving rise to suspicions that he didn't brake at all. I visited the spot and there were absolutely zero tyre marks where the idiot should have braked. I am just thinking how lucky we were that they were not in the cars that they use normally....a WagonR or a Santro. I am going to instruct AVIS to take the strictest of disciplinary action against this careless driver and / or put him under training before he kills someone!

The AVIS Taxi

My brothers Innova

Last edited by GTO : 9th February 2008 at 11:47.
Old 9th February 2008, 11:53   #2
Team-BHP Support

That was scary, must have been real scary to the passengers. The damage to Innova looks minimal though.
Old 9th February 2008, 11:54   #3
BHPian

Sorry to hear about the incident, good to know no one was injured in the Innova. Please make sure the Avis guy's are fined heavyly for this. Looks like the Innova is strong at the rear end, from the above pictures, where the Corola seems smashed but the Innova damage looks minimum.
Old 9th February 2008, 11:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Damn! Thats a nasty looking Corolla wreck. Thank God your family is alright. Make sure that the AVIS driver pays for his stupidity!
Old 9th February 2008, 11:56   #5
Team-BHP Support

ouch, glad to hear that there were no serious injuries.
Old 9th February 2008, 11:58   #6
BHPian

Good to know everyone is safe.

Crumple zones in the corrola did its job it seems.
Old 9th February 2008, 12:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Glad to know everyone is safe. Did the Corolla have airbags? If yes, did they deploy. I think must Corolla's used in Taxi's are the base variant without airbags.
Old 9th February 2008, 12:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Glad that everyone is safe. This is completely ridiculous... being rear ended when stationary is just insane. The corolla driver was seriously crazy to do something as stupid as that. Please make sure he pays dearly for it.

This doesn't look like the base model for sure as it has alloys and fogs. Not sure if airbags deployed though.
Old 9th February 2008, 12:24   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
Crumple zones in the corrola did its job it seems.
Glad that everyone including your niece is safe.

Toiing completely agree with you. The crumple zone has done it's job perfectly and this does not mean that the corolla has poor build quality!!
Old 9th February 2008, 12:27   #10
BHPian

Did this corolla have ABS? That could explain the lack of tyre marks.
It is fortunate that nothing happened to anyone, I think this make a case for child seats.

My vehicle was rearended quite hard once by an Esteem, though it escaped damage.
Old 9th February 2008, 12:28   #11
BHPian

Glad to hear that no one was hurt. I've had something similar happen to me, only by a Tata 407. It was at a lower speed though - the guy just misjudged the braking distance. This case seems far worse.

If I were in your shoes, I'd make sure the cops pushed through with the FIR into a criminal case. At the minimum, there should be some restrictions placed on his license. As you pointed out, had it been a Wagon R or Santro, the thing could've gotten a lot worse. I'm not sure what legal action is possible against AVIS - possibly a civil case if not the FIR route. They are supposed to be a global rental agency, not some local BPO taxi service with auto rickshaw drivers being promoted to cars.
Old 9th February 2008, 12:51   #12
BHPian

Good to know the Occupants are safe. This is certainly the least we expect when standing idle at Signal.

I had a similar experinece when I was in Vancouver, a Red Mazda, driven by a young Chinees lady banged my Honda Odessey while I was at Signal. I had quite badly sprained my neck and was on therapy for 6 weeks.

One thing suprises me here is that, the Innova, no Bumper damage, its all intact, even the tail lights are intact. Does Corollas have strong bumbers at the rear or what. Because the Corolla front seems to be badly damaged. Any idea ??

- Vipul
Old 9th February 2008, 12:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

the driver probably dozed off. It is quite common in city roads these days. They work 16 hour shifts to earn double the salary. This is just not right. Glad that this incident did not hurt anyone seriously.
Old 9th February 2008, 12:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Oh God.. That was scary.. Glad your niece was safe.. Take the Avis guys to task.. They must not be allowed to go scot free..
Old 9th February 2008, 13:00   #15
BHPian

Ocuh! That must've been scary, to suddenly be banged from behind when not expecting such incident at all. Glad that your bhabhi and niece weren't hurt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks