Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2008, 17:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Non functioning signals and other hazards!!

Last April, six vehicles were involved in a dramatic crash at Four Bungalows, Andheri (West). Two were killed in the incident. The crash happened due to a mere coincidence of two cars and a truck speeding and meeting at the junction on different lanes.

Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...bungalows.html

From the past month, I've been noticing that two of the signals at that junction do not function properly. At moments, you'll see absolutely NO lights ON. Motorists wouldn't know whether they have to pass or halt at the junction. And its not only this junction. I've seen countless junctions where signals do not function. This can be sooo dangerous and cause wild accidents.

Moreover, it doesn't ONLY stop there. There are sooo many huge pot holes and open man-hole covers. Even the STUPID unlevelled levelling-blocks that they have been laid on the road are tooo dangerous for bikers!

If possible, I'll click pics of these wonderful works and uploaded it here. Once we have enough data, I hope we'll be able to bring it to the media or probably the authorities.
Old 13th February 2008, 18:05   #2
Team-BHP Support

You are lucky. In Noida there are signals where all sides display green at same time.
Looks like govt is trying population control in a novel way.
Old 13th February 2008, 18:14   #3
BHPian

And moreover, doesn't matter if the signal is red or green, everyone wants to pass.
Here in NCR Region
Green = Go
Amber = Go faster
Red = Ignore it and go slower
Old 13th February 2008, 18:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Your interpretation of the signal colours was HOWLARIOUS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
And moreover, doesn't matter if the signal is red or green, everyone wants to pass.
Here in NCR Region
Green = Go
Amber = Go faster
Old 13th February 2008, 21:14   #5
BHPian

Come to Bangalore, the Silicon Valley of India, where you'll find the best in brains......NOTHING WORKS here.

It's a pity that with so much technology and brain power available, we don't even have WORKING SIGNALS.......forget about Synchronised Signals.

Our country has gone to the dogs.

-- Torqy
Old 13th February 2008, 21:55   #6
BHPian

I guess we have similar problems all over the country because of problems in strict enforcement of traffic rules.

I have seen these situations a number of times in chennai. Whenever signals stop functioning during the day due to power outage you will see traffic jams and total chaos.
Old 13th February 2008, 22:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Here in NCR Region
Green = Go
Amber = Go faster
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Your interpretation of the signal colours was HOWLARIOUS...
And 100 % and matching to average Indian driver.

People on the road don't want to stop. Everyone wants to come first.
Old 13th February 2008, 22:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

You know these signal timers they have now?! Some actually go upto 240-300 seconds! The amusing yet annoying part is during the end. People have actually waited ALLL of it, but cannot wait for the few seconds before it signals green. They'll set off the moment the other signal turns amber.
Old 13th February 2008, 22:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Even the STUPID unlevelled levelling-blocks that they have been laid on the road are tooo dangerous for bikers!
I fractured a foot on those stupid blocks. Result was no driving for a couple of months and for the first time in 5 years, no running in the Mumbai Marathon.

Old 13th February 2008, 23:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Gordon, drive around in Bangy.

People are so busy that they wont wait for signals to turn green. They just jump signals a lot!

So, accidents cant be just coz of faulty signals. Its coz of faulty nuts driving/riding.
Old 14th February 2008, 00:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

I agree jkdas, jerks are abundant everywhere.

But why add to the misery by having:
  • crappy signals
  • stupid unlevelled blocks
  • traffic cops hiding
  • debris ON the road
  • nakabandi fences lying unattended?!
  • sign boards that cover the signal
  • improper positioning of the signal
  • sudden openings in dividers

These are just invitations to accidents!

Last edited by Gordon : 14th February 2008 at 00:35.
Old 19th March 2008, 11:20   #12

Today, I was on the richmond road (Bangalore), near lifestyle. At the hosur road junction, I had seen that the green signal turned Read (with some green flashes). I slowed down and was coming to a halt, and all vehicles were moving. The police man did not know why I was stopping and wanted me to move forward - the signal turned green after few seconds. To my surprise, the few seconds Red signal was a glitch in the traffic signal system, and I was the only one trying to stop. May be, I am not qualified to drive on these Bangalore roads :(

Too much to say about Bangalore - let me list a few

In Bangalore:
* Signals are ignored before 8am. You are treated as a moron if you stop at red signal
* One-way roads automatically become 2-way, even for buses and lorries, befor e 8am and after 9pm.
* At some signals, you're a moron if you stop at any point of the day e.g., the signal on old madras road where you turn towards Ulsoor lake. People don't even notice the red signal.
* Some Bangalore techies, many times, don't understand that they have to drive on one side of the road if it is a two-way road (the 3-way intersection at Bagmane Tech park)
* People don't want to respect the right-of-way. Just join the main road the vehicle on the main road will stop.
* Turn your vehicles side blinkers on, assume the vehicle next to you will stop, and move into that lane. Don't even check to see if there is a vehicle in that lane and next to your vehicle.
* Pedestrians assume that road is for walking and the foot-path is not for them (even if the footpath is clean and not a danger to walk on).
* The driver is scared of a bigger vehicle, and the same driver will push a smaller vehicle
* ... (many more to list)

It was nice a looong time back.

-PK

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks