Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2008, 18:42   #1
jp1
BHPian

"Park where there is a place" attitude!!

If you look at any residential or commercial areas in Bangalore, you see the streets are packed with parked cars. When I was planning to buy a vehicle in 1997, the first thing came to my mind was about parking the vehicle. I decided to buy a vehicle which fits in my porch. Whenever I changed my vehicle, one of the most important consideration was that it should fit in my porch.
But today if you look at our neighborhood hardly anybody seems to be bothered about it. And the end result is a traffic jam right inside our residential areas.
Is it not high time we start giving it a thought before buying that huge SUV or that 2nd or 3rd car? I am not referring to that 1st car which we wanted to buy.
In many foreign countries, you cannot park your vehicle anywhere other than designated parking places (or in your garage) and the parking fee is hectic. Many people cannot afford to buy a car due to high public parking fees because it will cost them a bomb to park the vehicle.
Why we blame the govt alone for lack of infrastructure, do we have own infrastructure to park our cars? Are we also equally responsible for this mess?
Old 25th February 2008, 18:57   #2
BHPian

Hey JP1, we are not facing a much better time in some of the places out here in the UAE as well. Most of the people are now opting for 4x4s as this enables them to park on the curb. Another practice is to double park and leave you mobile number on the dash, so whoever has been blocked in can make a round of calls and get the owners to move their vehicles. The traffic scene and the parking is insane out here
Old 26th February 2008, 04:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

well do you think this can be helped in any way,no offence meant, but, its like asking our politicians to be corrupt free, its like trying to teach the junta the traffic rules so dont take it to heart mate just let go!

most of the places the cars are parked outside the houses even if they had single car the houses are built so compactly there is just no more place so imo its not worth this much thought!

Last edited by rider60 : 26th February 2008 at 04:53.
Old 27th February 2008, 21:25   #4
BHPian

I swear this attitude in people really pisses me off big time! The one thing that I absolute hate is when they park their cars in such a way that there is a big blotch of space between them and the next car but not space enough for a car to squeeze in comfortably. Why can't they all keep a max one-and-half feet distance while parking?
Old 27th February 2008, 23:53   #5
Team-BHP Support

UK is no better. No proper local transport. Kids at home since housing is expensive. People using garages to store junk means less place to park. Don't even get me started on local council who use parking fines as a source of revenue
Old 28th February 2008, 00:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Parking is an equally if not more important aspect in the auto scene, i hope our governments wake up early & do something about it. There are umpteen number of super & hyper markets with absolutely no parking space at all. They expect their customers to park on the road.
Old 28th February 2008, 10:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

We should start doing this here too, seems decent enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMPKDMFF View Post
Hey JP1, we are not facing a much better time in some of the places out here in the UAE as well. Most of the people are now opting for 4x4s as this enables them to park on the curb. Another practice is to double park and leave you mobile number on the dash, so whoever has been blocked in can make a round of calls and get the owners to move their vehicles. The traffic scene and the parking is insane out here
Old 28th February 2008, 10:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
We should start doing this here too, seems decent enough.
Dadu if you follow that then i think you will have to leave all your work, come and park the vehicle.

That's real waste of time and if this thing comes to Bangalore our crowded roads will be over crowded and there will be no space to run your Safari or even to walk.

Better that thing does'nt struck the Indian brains
Old 28th February 2008, 11:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Parking is an equally if not more important aspect in the auto scene, i hope our governments wake up early & do something about it. There are umpteen number of super & hyper markets with absolutely no parking space at all. They expect their customers to park on the road.

No, it is not that way. The whole idea of not having parking place is to encourage the use of public transport. If not that, walk to the shopping complex. We should start appreciating their concern for the society and our health!

Just trying to look at the 'bright' side here... no other solution!

These malls seems to be built to exploit the max available space for revenue. so parking will not be too high on their agenda. But places like forum, garuda mall (in bng) have good parking space available.
Old 28th February 2008, 11:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Whats the alternative, atleast then you can park comfortably in place of the person who is leaving.

I remember a doctor had parked his vehicle blocking mine in Bangalore hospital and when I came the guard came running and went away to call the doctor.

The doctor came and removed his car and perhaps used the space I had vacated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Dadu if you follow that then i think you will have to leave all your work, come and park the vehicle.

That's real waste of time and if this thing comes to Bangalore our crowded roads will be over crowded and there will be no space to run your Safari or even to walk.

Better that thing does'nt struck the Indian brains
Old 28th February 2008, 11:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
But places like forum, garuda mall (in bng) have good parking space available.
Yea I second that forum and garuda mall do have ample parking space with the new TOTAL on sarjapur road too joining these malls. However this mall does not have a multileveled parking but has ample parking space outside and also in the basement.
Old 28th February 2008, 12:04   #12
jp1
BHPian

Let us start from home, before buying that 2nd car or that big SUV, just think for a second, 'where am i going to park it, do i have space to park it?'. If we take some responsibility, there can be an overall improvement. Some time ago, i read in the news paper that in HSR layout, the cops started deflating tires of vehicles which were parked on the road and cops told the owners to park it inside or they are going to deflate. But they withdrew this after public protest!. We can make a small beginning if we take some responsibility. Most of the residential areas are in a mess due to this problem.
Old 29th February 2008, 18:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
But places like forum, garuda mall (in bng) have good parking space available.
Very true. Spencer plaza here in chennai was constructed way back in 1991 (When the Maruti 1000 was launched) & it still boasts of the most spacious parking compared to any other mall/commercial complex.
Old 4th March 2008, 22:01   #14
BHPian

One another thing that amazes me is the lack of basic comman sense & courtesy in bangalore. People do double side parking on a small 30ft road - making the general users squirm through the gaps - or park in an angle or with wheels turned. Unless there's self discipline, things will only get worse.
Old 26th May 2012, 09:50   #15
BHPian

Re: "Park where there is a place" attitude!!

4 years on and the cops are still at it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks