Team-BHP - New extortion racket on highways
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   New extortion racket on highways (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/37855-new-extortion-racket-highways.html)

I heard this from a friend of my wife who was returning from Raipur to Hyd on his Embera after performing the last rites of his father.
He was driving at around 120 and slowed down near some village near Nagpur. Suddenly, a man darted across the road, not even looking at his direction. He braked hard and veered sharply to avoid hitting that idiot, and managed to pass by without any mishap.

Around 10 minutes later, he was stopped at at police checkpost on the highway and the cops alleged that he was trying to get away from a hit and run case. When he challenged them, they agreed to go back to the spot with him.
On reaching that place, he was shocked to see the same nut dressed in crepe bandage, ankle upwards, and 'limping' to them, alleging that he ran over his foot. They wanted 10000 bucks from him as compensation, after seeing his 'big' car. He argued vehemently with the cops and asked them to remove his bandage, but they were siding with that guy. Poor guy had to finally shell out 2000 bucks just to avoid the hassle of a police case, and to reach Hyd in time.
To me this looks like an unholy nexus between unscrupulous cops and their touts. How else could a person who was really injured have the phone number of the cops, and have reacted so promptly?

This also reminds me of my Mumbai trip, when cops stopped all AP registered vehicles near Solapur bypass. They could not extract anything from me as I had all the original docs (luckily), but an Innova driver had to cough up Rs 200 to avoid getting challaned for Rs 700 for not having his original license--he only had a colour xerox. I was kind of surprised, because I did not know that one had to carry the original license. I generally carry a copy in Hyd, and take the original only on highway trips. What could I have done if I did not have my originals? Perhaps I too would have paid 200 to save Rs 500.

So guys, beware of such extortion rackets. Drive safe.

Dreadful incident to say the least, but as far as papers (licence, car documents, etc.), they have to be all original AFAIK.

Local kids do this in city streets, but if the police get involved, that is taking things to dangerous proportions.

No. You need not have the original with you. It is enough to have the photostat of the originals which has been attested by a gazette officer.

Have experienced this on Kanakapura Rd, BLR. A woman, all drunk, runs across the road. It's dusk & hardly any time to react, though managed to control a lot. Matters went quite far. The cops knew what was in it for them, though she probably didnt want to go that far. Ended up with a fine in the court & her treatment expenses.

Are you saying this just by conviction or does the law permit it? More details on this would be welcome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlover98 (Post 782433)
No. You need not have the original with you. It is enough to have the photostat of the originals which has been attested by a gazette officer.

@Condor: would, getting the woman medically examined and certified that she was drunk, have helped?

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 782439)
Have experienced this on Kanakapura Rd, BLR. A woman, all drunk, runs across the road. It's dusk & hardly any time to react, though managed to control a lot. Matters went quite far. The cops knew what was in it for them, though she probably didnt want to go that far. Ended up with a fine in the court & her treatment expenses.

Quote:

As per my knowlede, according to MV act 1988, driver should keep the original driving license while he is driving. This is what I heard from some of my friends in related Govt. department also. I follow this (keep the card in my wallet)

As for Vnabhi story, I would have accompanied the cop and the fake guy to the govt hospital for a checkup and then decided the next actions.

If the person is actually not hurt, there is no chance for prosecution but a complaint can be registered against the check post cop and that guy for cheating.

Now they have found a new and proven way of cheating people on that road and unless someone reports will go on unchecked.

Not to my knowledge, under the law you simply cannot hurt a person physically, even if its only a broken tooth.

No matter what condition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gd1418 (Post 782448)
@Condor: would, getting the woman medically examined and certified that she was drunk, have helped?

Quote:

You need to have the originals.Compulsory.
But there is some rule whereby you can produce the same in 15 days or something, and you will be exempted. Will check with somebody and confirm. In fact i've read this in some small pocket book they used to sell at the bus stands.

What @Dadu says is correct. The two will considered separately. And you know how the involved parties see things. And to add to it, this one was a known 'darter', looking for money to buy her her next quarter.

Btw, a broken tooth is grievous injury.

Till now i knew people throwing chicken on the roads but never knew that they consider human life useless too. Well would that guy have survived if it!!

Even i am keen to know whether we must carry all the documents in original or a color xerox of the same would do.

Also who is a Gazetted officer exactly ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gd1418 (Post 782442)
Are you saying this just by conviction or does the law permit it? More details on this would be welcome.

Cops do ask for original license. However, for other documents, attested copies would do.

On my way from Goa to Bangalore, I was stopped at the karnataka border checkpost. After document verification, the policeman asked who was the owner of the car. I told it was me. Asked who the other guys were. Said, they are my friends. Then he starts that, in a white board car, you are only supposed to carry only family. For others, you need yellow board (taxi) and the fine would be Rs 900 and all :deadhorse

We knew it was crap and was for money. Neways we didn't want to waste time, so started bargaining with Rs. 20 and ended up paying Rs.50
Wonder why our policemen are so cheap!

- Jag

Thats abrand new idea for daylight robbery, :Shockked: any views on what's the best way to escape from such a scenario?

Tell the police that you are a doctor, and the bandage that has been done is not done properly...if not corrected may lead to permanent damage. Insist on going to a nearby hospital and getting it done properly.

I am sure you'll see that man running away on 1 leg :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by clevermax (Post 782606)
Thats abrand new idea for daylight robbery, :Shockked: any views on what's the best way to escape from such a scenario?