Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2008, 18:06   #1

Bangalore to Kannur on road

Hi friends,
If there are any adventure geeks who want to challenge their own vehicle's ability and their driving skills, this is the road you should take from Virajpet to the border of Kerala. You have to travel in one of the buses on this route to understand the physics phenomenon - Centre of Gravity. The reason is that the bus tilts at many places so much that that wheels on one side are in air and the passengers hold on to whatever they can, praying to God to save their lives. I have felt my heart come to my mouth many times during those tilts. It feels as if you are travelling in one of those stunt cars that are driven on 2 wheels on one side.
The drivers are seen particularly in the night stopping and deciding as to which pothole to get into and which to avoid. It takes about two and half hours for 15 km stretch. I have seen buses carry rocks which are then dumped in these potholes so that their under-bodies would not get damaged. In one of the websites, a traveller has written that a bumper of Ashoka travels bus actually came off after the bus came out of the pothole. The drivers are one of the most skillfull as there hasn't been an accident (also my God's grace. I thank him)

I had written to the honourable Governor of Karnataka around 2 months ago through mail to the e-mail id for rajbhavan requesting him to send his deputies on this road so that they see the reality. But sadly, I don't think we have a chance.

I had also written to the KSRTC M.D requesting him to see how his buses are travelling so that he could put pressure on the Government, but some how these mails seem to be going into thin air.

Now that the rains have started, only the Gods of the Western ghats can save the passengers and their lives.

I wish things would change before it is too late.
Old 3rd April 2008, 21:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

I had once driven back from Kannur to Bangalore thru this route. The ghat section, of about 20kms, had absolutely no (i mean none) road, no tar at all. It was just the mountain stones. Took me two hours for this 20kms. Drove full time in 1st gear, just couldn't come to second.

And with the rain the stones were also slightly slippery.

It was an adventure. Ride of a lifetime!
Old 4th April 2008, 15:43   #3
BHPian

And it is this road for which HDK had promised 65Cr for repain works. last time when he was in Taliparamba!
Old 4th April 2008, 20:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Even now newspapers talk about the crores, but no work is getting done.

Ghat roads everywhere in Kerala are in good(at least motorable ) condition, so I fail to understand the ulterior motives of Karnataka(or is it Coorgi) authorities for maintaining this road in such a dilapidated condition.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks