Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2008, 18:14   #1
BHPian

Ban Autowallahs Auto ?

Of late I have been noticing a few things - I hate my card.com hoarding, Devana Yelli campaign by Bangalore Mirror, Unlock traffic by TOI. Means people are speaking up against some blatant atrocities, and taking some ACTION!

I was wondering if anything can be done to ease the problems caused by Autos. Most painful thing on earth IMO is the Autowallahs Auto. For the following reasons:

1. Most polluting vehicle- Gas pollution
2. Most polluting vehicle- Noise pollution
3. Causing the maximum hinderance to traffic - Slow moving in the middle of the road (Felt the magnitude of this when auto was on strike for a day around 4 months back in Bangalore, saved more than 2 hours of driving in city in a single day)
4. Cutting lanes - Most annoying by poking its nose in the slightest gap, sometimes turning by 90 degrees
5. Protruding conveyor belts - Atleast in Bangalore Autos have protruding conveyor belts which sratch the cars moving close to it
6. Looting public - Faulty meter
7. Looting public - Charging more than meter
8. Inconviniencing public - Do not come for short distances
9. Inconviniencing public - Abusive - Many would have experienced when they question any wrong doing of autowallah
10. Inconviniencing public - Parking at busy junctions (any where they feel like)
11. Inconviniencing public - Gang up during accident even if they are at fault
12. Inconviniencing public - Breaks down in no mans land quite often
13. Inconviniencing public - Very old auto's ply as getting a new yellow board costs 1 Lac (hearsay) causing problems 1,2, 12 and more .....
14. Inconviniencing public - Overloaded auto - safety hazard - eg. share auto and schoool auto

Please add to the list. Do you feel auto's are to banned in India? Are more effective regulations to be brought in. What can be done practically?

Can anything be done to ease the pain. Suggestions please .....
Old 29th April 2008, 18:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Auto is a poor man's Mercedes! Banning it is out of the question!!! If you think practically, you will understand why! Everyone cannot afford taxis!!

Autowallas are a big nuisance on the roads. I agree. But look at the service it gives to the common man. If it is banned, who will employ the lakhs and lakhs of auto drivers??? What will happen to their families? Ever thought of that scenario??

Sometimes an Auto is all we get to save an accident victim and take him to the hospital! It has happened in front of my eyes numerous times!

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 29th April 2008 at 18:28.
Old 29th April 2008, 18:23   #3
BHPian

15. no indication/signel while turning right or left.
Old 29th April 2008, 19:06   #4
Team-BHP Support

Enforce lane discipline and dedicated lane for them, i mean really enforce it. Then only this will work.

Biggest issue with India traffic is LANE DISCIPLINE rather the lack of it!!
Old 29th April 2008, 19:08   #5
BHPian

Next we should BAN BMTC... and after sometimes bikes too... Later all the Sub 10L cars because they are not worthy to use the Roads which are used by the spanking cars of the nouveau rich in bangalore.

Then later we'll ban everything.... and send the city to the dogs.

Rather ban all the cars.. and force people to take autos
Old 29th April 2008, 19:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Another auto bashing thread which is heading nowhere. We have so many threads here discussing the same thing time and again.

Jaggu's suggestion is valid and how many of us follow the same ? Am sure each of us have had our share of jumping/cutting lanes and causing inconvenience to other drivers.

Regarding the auto drivers !! They have every right to be on the roads and use them. Even they pay road taxes (LOL I have become an auto sympathizer) .
I think its with the system, bring in harsh rules with hefty fines for the offenders. See how things fall in place.
Old 29th April 2008, 19:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Another victim of Autowallah's menace which every one of us encounter in our routine drives. The very basics of driving and lane disciplines lack to the core in india and wish our system is much more pronounced in implementing those norms..heehehe...not in this lifetime for sure i suppose
Old 30th April 2008, 10:38   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Another auto bashing thread which is heading nowhere. We have so many threads here discussing the same thing time and again.
From when on did you become on their side?

As for the topic, autos are required, just that the autowallahs need some... rather a LOT of sense drilled into them.
Old 30th April 2008, 10:49   #9
BANNED

Restrict the no of autos for particular regions.
Introduce new electric vehicle for cites to reduce sound & air pollution.
Old 30th April 2008, 10:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

I was thinking the other day to send a few auto drivers with their machines to US, to offer them solution to the problems they face driving their Gas Guzzling SUV's in these times of high fuel prices. Why should we keep this pristine mode of transport only to ourselves.
Old 30th April 2008, 10:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
From when on did you become on their side?

As for the topic, autos are required, just that the autowallahs need some... rather a LOT of sense drilled into them.
On your first point, you are quite misunderstanding him. He's not taking their side. Read the statement again. If you meant that purely on the lighter side, due apologies from my side

Your second statement, I agree with completely. Mob mentality and mere baap ka raasta hai really needs to be curbed.
Old 30th April 2008, 11:10   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
On your first point, you are quite misunderstanding him. He's not taking their side. Read the statement again. If you meant that purely on the lighter side, due apologies from my side
I know he hates them as well, so its to be taken in the lighter sense.
Old 30th April 2008, 11:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

Yes "Auto" is a pain, but the traffic chaos is not confined to just autos. Many times have seen cars breaking rules, driving rashly etc and same goes with the bikes!

The only way out is "STRINGENT"law & fine! and see how most of the mlot will be on track!
Old 30th April 2008, 11:21   #14
BANNED

You want to ban the Auto or the Autowallah?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravradha View Post
Ban Autowallahs Auto ?
Old 30th April 2008, 11:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

Need of the hour is to organise that sector and not scrap it totally. Lets take it for argument sake. Imagine the Autos are stopped. Don't you think the next pointing would be on cab drivers? Then probably may be it ends with BMTC too...
So, the list would be never ending if you want to stop all those that is causing an issue. Better make them understand that they are also humans and should drive for others safety too...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks