Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2009, 15:35   #61
BHPian

Indica v2, 2004 April model.
Never broke down so far in all these 37000 km run and 5 years of ownership.
Sometimes I had driven it non-stop for 7 hours on high way and/or all through the
night.
Only once it failed to start in our portico and we found that its battery was gone (after three years). Battery selling shop wallah came with new battery and technicians and fixed it.
That was all.
I believe Indica v2 is very reliable and also very comfortable as well.
Old 27th April 2009, 11:49   #62
BHPian

M1000: Day before yesterday I was going for AC check and timing belt broke. Callled the mechanic on spot and got it fixed in 30min. Total cost Rs.320 only including timing belt + labor.
Few days back car refused to start, no light on dashbord. After cheking all fuses, found that ignition switch cable socket was loose (near fuse box). Fixed that myself.
Old 27th April 2009, 12:08   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
M1000: Day before yesterday I was going for AC check and timing belt broke. Callled the mechanic on spot and got it fixed in 30min. Total cost Rs.320 only including timing belt + labor.
You sure you're talking about the timing belt and not the fan belt?!

That is an unbelievably quick change of the timing belt! And how much does the M1000 timing belt cost? Seems to be very inexpensive.
Old 27th April 2009, 16:35   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
You sure you're talking about the timing belt and not the fan belt?!

That is an unbelievably quick change of the timing belt! And how much does the M1000 timing belt cost? Seems to be very inexpensive.
Yes I am talking of Timing belt, there is no fan belt in M1000
Cost of timing belt was Rs.120, some "Fener" brand I remember.
Old 27th April 2009, 16:52   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
Yes I am talking of Timing belt, there is no fan belt in M1000
Cost of timing belt was Rs.120, some "Fener" brand I remember.
That can't be the timing belt - the timing belt is covered and it drives the cam.

The fan belt (as it was called in older cars) is the belt that drives the alternator.
Old 27th April 2009, 17:07   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
That can't be the timing belt - the timing belt is covered and it drives the cam.

The fan belt (as it was called in older cars) is the belt that drives the alternator.
Yes the belt was covered, here is the pic of broken belt which I kept for some DIY's stuff Alternator belt is thin and much smaller.

Breakdowns you have had with your car.-0427_165659.jpg
Old 28th April 2009, 14:29   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Luckily , a mechanic was neary by who helped us diagnose the problem. The fuel filter was not installed properly and hence the car was not recieving fuel inspite of petrol being in the tank.
A bit OT here but there is scam going on where the mechanics disconnect fuel filter when cars are parked. This leaves enough fuel for car to go couple of hundred meters before sputtering to stop. And of course there is friendly nearby mechanic who come to rescue and fit it back.
Old 28th April 2009, 20:32   #68
Senior - BHPian

Had a incident last weekend.

We had just changed to our summer tires and were driving on a highway and were cruising at around 90. My dad was driving and I was in the passenger seat.

There was not much traffic and the all the cars were spaced out. I notice a red volvo v70 tailing us for a while and just mention it to my father - we just pass it off, thinking he is traveling to the same destination as us.

Now things get strange.

The volvo starts to come alongside us and does not overtake but drives parallel to us.
I notice his window is rolled down (very uncommon in sweden). My dad is focusing on the road and we wonder what this guy wants. The volvo then falls back and tails us again.

After a while he comes alongside us again, and this time I also open my window to ask the guy whats going on.

Cautiously the guy gestures a waving motion with his hand and says in swedish "din däck kommer av snart!" (trans: your tire is coming off soon!) while pointing at the front left tire.

In shock I mutter something and he overtakes us and leaves. I panic - traveling at 90 with a lose tire can't be good!

My dad keeps his cool and gently swerves to the emergency lane/ shoulder of the road. We stop the car put the 4-ways on and place the mandatory warning triangle some 15m behind the car.

We inspect the wheel and sure enough it is loose. We jack up the car remove it completely and then fix it again.

unfortunately neither me nor my father noted the numberplate of the red volvo, but we owe that guy a big thanks. He took the time to notice and inform us about this. Thank you.

cheers
Old 28th April 2009, 21:50   #69
Senior - BHPian

@anekho - that's a scary experience
Old 19th June 2009, 17:07   #70
BHPian

I am having right now, as I type
My SwiftDy went for 3rd service 2 days before and has been running fine until I parked the car in my office. I was gonna meet Satya today but the car wouldnt allow me to start. The lights in the dash comeon after some flickers, but the car never cranks.

Similar thing happened to me a year ago and the nippon mga was the culprit. I tried with the other remote and it worked. With no one at home and home 35kms away, I am waiting for the Suraksha guys to turn up.
Old 20th June 2009, 10:09   #71
BHPian

The car started after the technician connected the battery terminals to his car, and requested me not to switch-off for atleast another 10-20 kms.

About 4kms from the home taking U-turn at KRPuram junction, the EPS light comes on and the steering goes tight. After a couple of seconds, it became normal and I was able to drive home. While parking at home, the EPS kept going-off and on until the car shut itself down.

Guess I am off to the Exide battery woes thread. This is my second battery in as many years.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 20th June 2009 at 10:11.
Old 20th June 2009, 17:19   #72
BHPian

It turned out to be a simple rust issue with the +ve terminal connector. Though it took 4-5 calls to different numbers, Exide was prompt and came over to KRPuram from Yeshwantpur to fix the issue. And didnt even charge me a penny, I tipped them with 100 bucks for their quick fix.

I took the car to Mandovi service centre and blasted the folks for not seeing this issue, when I gave them the car for service 2 days earlier. Some diagnostics on the Suzuki SDP and the car is bug free. The service guys cleaned up the connector again and said, it has become oval and hence the issues. They have no clue how the issue popped-up all of a sudden. I am glad since I got this resolved before my trip to Chennai and beyond this week.

All my car needs is a couple of Hella's upfront and am set for the drive.
Old 4th July 2009, 15:55   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
A bit OT here but there is scam going on where the mechanics disconnect fuel filter when cars are parked. This leaves enough fuel for car to go couple of hundred meters before sputtering to stop. And of course there is friendly nearby mechanic who come to rescue and fit it back.
yes there is a scam like that going on in places but in my case i had had the fuel filter replaced just a few days ago and my dad had noticed fuel odor when i was driving away from our home. Anyways the mechanic who came forward to help us is known to us personaly so we ruled out the possibility of foul play.
Old 6th November 2009, 23:05   #74
Senior - BHPian

Decided to update this thread with one of the breakdowns i had with my 800.

Had a heating problem due to the raditor fan malfunctioning.The culprit was loose wiring as the fan started when the mechanic simply touched some of the wirings behind the front head lamp and the battery.

More details about the incident here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1536460
Old 14th August 2010, 17:25   #75
Senior - BHPian

Hello, one more almost breakdown with my 800.Got in the car in the morning,started the motor,it started and was to just die when i stepped on the gas pedal to rev the engine,the gas pedal did not budge.Pressed down on it firmly several times but still did not budge.

Got a torch to see at the pedal,could see the spring was rusted and the pedal wouldn't move.Popped the bonnet and saw the accelrator cable was intact.Diagnosed the problem as faulty accelerator pedal.Went to the spares part shop (Prakash motor) and got a new pedal for 90 bucksWent to a local garage next to the shop ,explianed the situation,told the guy the car couln't be driven as pedal was stuck,was quoted 150 bucks for the repair.Agreed ,hopped on the mechanic's bike and headed home to the car.

On Arrival the mechanic inspected the pedal,opened the bonnet,touched something at the accelerator cable and lo the pedal started to move freely.The problem ,the butterfly had jammed causing the pedal not to move.The mechanic said then sparyed wd 40 (which incidently i had with me)on the carb and charged me 150 bucks.(it was already agreed).

OT
The mechanic told me to return the pedal bought and buy bonnet hinges as the same have almost given away on the car.Called up prakash motor's and asked whether they will take it back,they said yes,so promptly did the same and got the bonnet hinges for a additional 60 bucks (total 150).Will get the same fitted next week.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks