Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2008, 11:47   #1
BHPian

Puncture mark on the lid of the hood!

This morning delhi was under some rough winds, I had parked my swift at the usual place next to a building. Because of the strong wind some heavy concret stuff fell of from a couple of stories above unfortunately my car was at the receiving end . The car is now scarred with a big dent on the hood plus there are two tiny punctures on the lid of the hood. One of them is actually a tiny hole opening to the engine bay. Is this a risky situation! cause there is potential danger of water getting into the engine? The damage could have been a lot worse but then this was uncalled for! No body to blame..but it sure hurts
Old 14th May 2008, 12:02   #2
Team-BHP Support

Mods note: Thread moved to appropriate section.
Old 14th May 2008, 12:05   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysus View Post
Is this a risky situation! cause there is potential danger of water getting into the engine?
Not risky but ugly for sure. Get it repaired as soon as possible. If there's a puncture then there is open metal face without protection. Nice way to welcome rust.
Old 14th May 2008, 12:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Surely none to blame, but it does rankle a lot. A couple of pics if possible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysus View Post
The car is now scarred with a big dent on the hood plus there are two tiny punctures on the lid of the hood. One of them is actually a tiny hole opening to the engine bay. No body to blame..but it sure hurts
Old 14th May 2008, 12:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

As a temporary measure to prevent water seeping into the engine bay, you can apply M-Seal under the hood, there by plugging the hole. Used this method to plug holes drilled at the wrong place on the underbody during an install.
Old 14th May 2008, 12:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

And this damage should be covered under insurance, so getting it repaired should not cost that much.
Old 14th May 2008, 15:16   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Either change your bonnet (preferred) or get some tin work done on it. Whatever you do, do it fast.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2008, 15:34   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

take photos immediately and claim insurance for the damage
better to change the bonnet entirely

no one can construe this to be your fault so dont worry
and personally I prefer to claim insurance on these slightly expensive matters - why else do you pay a premium? Dont think about no claim bonus and all that in this case is my honest advice.
hope it works out for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Either change your bonnet (preferred) or get some tin work done on it. Whatever you do, do it fast.
Old 14th May 2008, 15:35   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
As a temporary measure to prevent water seeping into the engine bay, you can apply M-Seal under the hood, there by plugging the hole. Used this method to plug holes drilled at the wrong place on the underbody during an install.
From whatever experience I have with M-Seal, it does not last under high heat conditions, which is the case here. Ideally use a silicon rubber filler which is available at most paint / hardware shops.
Old 14th May 2008, 18:01   #10
BHPian

My insurace expires on May 21 and I have already renewed the insurance and taken no claim bonus! I recon I can wait till the new insurance kicks in and get the changes done. The bonnet has two sets of sheet, the top one is ruptured but the under sheet is still holding on, the water should not enter at an alarming rate as its not monsoon season quiet yet. Just feeling lucky as it was quiet a load and only a small proportion of it fell on my ride. Infact when I stepped out I saw someone much worse of as his ride was smashed by a broken branch of a tree!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks