Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2008, 15:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

KVS, good you escaped without any injuries/damage, poor Bull had to face the brunt!

Imagine if this happenend in night! I dare not...!
Old 26th May 2008, 16:31   #17
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
KVS,

I think it is a good portion YOUR fault.
Thought for the day: With great power (speed) comes great responsibility
100% agree with phamilyman. I learned the hard way, in my case instead of bullock cart it was old man. I had to turn left 90 degrees at 90 km/hr (it was madness) to avoid hitting the old man and my vehicle got toppled, but the old man got saved!.
Old 30th May 2008, 00:02   #18
KVS
BHPian

Thanks Guys for the concern and advices.

Clarifying certain points, so that the situation can be looked in a different perspective:
  • I have been driving on this highway for the last five years and prepared to have vehicles coming head on your way and motorbikes crossing etc. But, this first time I encountered a bullock cart trying to cross the road when a car is approaching. I mentioned the distance is about 50 meters. So even if I was traveling at 60 KM it would have been difficult to stop the car and avoid the collision.
  • Whether it is my fault or not is debatable. I could manage the vehicle because I slowed down (not accelerated as mentioned by Phamilyman) and avoided the collision. If I accelerated, instead of slowing down, god knows what would have happened. The entire episode happened in few seconds. Not that I had long time to react.
  • From a distance it is very difficult to notice who is riding the cart. I noticed that old people were on the cart only after I stopped the car. (With the turbans it is not easy).
  • We noticed that the old man has a cataract and may be he could not see what was coming on the road.
  • The speed limit is 80 KM and as I mentioned that the traffic was sparse. So, I do not see any problem in driving at 90KM speed. People have to be careful in crossing the highway. It is a 4 lane highway and has a separate lane for right turns. He was not hurried by some vehicle behind him to cross the road. I guess It is simple misjudgment from the old man.
  • Any ways I added Bullock carts in my list along with cyclist, kids, Tractors and motorbikes.
This entire episode brings out interesting topic of discussion what is the need for such an old man should be on the road riding the cart in peak summer? Poor guy he should be sitting at home and enjoying his retired life.

Cheers

KVS
Old 30th May 2008, 11:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

Good that you added bullock carts to your kamikaze list. One thing to note however is that all others in your list can be controlled by the rider, but bullocks may not always obey the commands of the master, as they have a mind of their own. So it should be the deadliest in your list.
Old 31st May 2008, 14:30   #20
BHPian

Guys take care between kholapur - Satara. Very often there are tractors coming on the opposite direction on the fast lane!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks