Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2008, 00:24   #16
BHPian

The Ford service people say that the suspension, lower arm, fender, door, and rim needs to be replaced. The axle will be checked when they hoist it onto the ramp. The cost might be from 60,000 to 80,000 at least according to them. This is truly depressing news. I've been driving my Ford very cautiously, never even caused a single visible dent to this day. This lady has probably caused irreparable damage.

Is this damage likely to cause other problems that can't be fixed? A neighbor complains that his Indica always pulls to to the left, in spite of getting everything replaced after an earlier accident.

I don't want to waste time with the legal mess, in addition to the time already wasted, unless absolutely necessary.
Old 31st May 2008, 13:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear the news. I feel insurance co will pay most of it. Yes, this damage can be fixed permanently. Don't worry about the car pulling towards left/right. It will be taken care off during the repairs.

What worries me most is, you have left the lady get away very lightly? She should have been punished severely as she may cause more damages to others while driving.
Old 31st May 2008, 14:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

InternetUser, sorry about the unfortunate accident. And damages to the tune of 60-80k is no joke. You may end up paying more than a little sum from your own pocket.

I suggest you meet the lady in question and politely but firmly tell her that if she is not prepared to pay the amount (your contribution to the bill) that you will pursue it the legal way till a solution is reached. Believe me, the moment they hear court case and you sound convincing, they might just cough up the money.
Old 31st May 2008, 19:35   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
InternetUser, sorry about the unfortunate accident. And damages to the tune of 60-80k is no joke. You may end up paying more than a little sum from your own pocket.

I suggest you meet the lady in question and politely but firmly tell her that if she is not prepared to pay the amount (your contribution to the bill) that you will pursue it the legal way till a solution is reached. Believe me, the moment they hear court case and you sound convincing, they might just cough up the money.
First of all very sorry to hear about the accident InternetUser . This lady needs to be beaten up to the core . And yes as MaserQ mentioned 60-80k is not a joke at all . You may end up paying about 10-20k max out of your pocket. (maybe not or maybe yes but wishing you good luck always) . There has to be some action taken on the lady . As MaserQ said the moment they hear the word court/case they will start shivering . So tell her softly but firmly that she needs to pay the amount that you have to pay out of your pocket . Atleast 75% of it . As you say court , case blah blah blah..... will increase your strain . And the action that you take on her will be very useful to other members in your city as well because she will be careful and try her best not to ramm on to any other car. Wishing you good luck in the future .
Old 31st May 2008, 20:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666 View Post
This lady needs to be beaten up to the core . And yes as MaserQmentioned 60-80k is not a joke at all . You may end up paying about 10-20k max out of your pocket. (maybe not or maybe yes but wishing you good luck always) . There has to be some action taken on the lady . AsMaserQ said the moment they hear the word court/case they will start shivering . So tell her softly but firmly that she needs to pay the amount that you have to pay out of your pocket . Atleast 75% of it . As you say court , case blah blah blah..... will increase your strain . And the action that you take on her will be very useful to other members in your city as well because she will be careful and try her best not to ramm on to any other car. Wishing you good luck in the future .
Hey Chill man.. i am sure you would not go to that extent if you had encountered a similar incident.

Internetuser,

Have you got the contact details of the lady ? What was agreed between you two after the incident ?
Old 1st June 2008, 00:15   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
Hey Chill man.. i am sure you would not go to that extent if you had encountered a similar incident.

Internetuser,

Have you got the contact details of the lady ? What was agreed between you two after the incident ?

I've got the vehicle number and her husbands contact number. It was decided that we'd report it to our insurance agencies and then decide when the garage provides the final estimate of cost. I might know this early next week after the vehicle is inspected on the ramp.
Old 1st June 2008, 13:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetUser View Post
The Ford service people say that the suspension, lower arm, fender, door, and rim needs to be replaced. The axle will be checked when they hoist it onto the ramp. The cost might be from 60,000 to 80,000 at least according to them. This is truly depressing news.
Ford A.S.S. is just trying to maximise the money they make. From the picture, that front door looks perfectly fine (Worse damage on my car have been repaired to good as new). I doubt that the insurance will allow it to be replaced. For you, its better if things get replaced if the insurance pays for it, and the depreciation isn't much (for suspension lower arm, fender, rim, ...).
Regards,
Old 1st June 2008, 13:39   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
Man this has happened to me man . These kinda drivers should be punished
Old 1st June 2008, 13:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've got the vehicle number and her husbands contact number...
Would suggest that you give them a call, once you have the figures, and ask them to take part of the payment. And yes, be polite but firm, when you say this.

From the first post, its is sad that the family lets this lady drive, even though she has got into accidents before. Let this be an eye opener for them. They just do not go about ramming others vehicle and go free!
Old 1st June 2008, 13:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Would suggest that you give them a call, once you have the figures, and ask them to take part of the payment. And yes, be polite but firm, when you say this.

From the first post, its is sad that the family lets this lady drive, even though she has got into accidents before. Let this be an eye opener for them. They just do not go about ramming others vehicle and go free!
I totally agree with HappyWheels
Old 1st June 2008, 14:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Do you have any witness for this? If yes, then your case is strong. Otherwise, it will fall in the court of law as you have moved out of the accident spot and lack of evidence. Hence you should have settled the matter on the spot itself. I did the same when my WagonR was rammed by another car. Asked him to foot the whole bill even though I coulod have claimed insurance.
Old 1st June 2008, 14:24   #27
rks
BANNED

Quote:
I own a 2006 model Ford Ikon that's in almost showroom condition. This accident occurred yesterday evening close to my home. I'd left home on the way to the camp area around 1750 evening time, when there was sufficient day light and clear visibility. I'd slowed-down at this particular location where the road from a few societies in our area joins with the main road--it's a blind corner for vehicles coming from the main road. I probably was below 10 KMPH speed, when a silver Swift turned the corner from my right at a very high speed.

This vehicle was driven by a lady that claimed it wasn't her fault, when it was clearly her fault.
I can feel your pain. A few months back my Santro took a small hit from a lorry on the rear right side at Wakad junction. The small dent is still there and causes great pain whenever I see it. One of the rare occasions when I had to slow down behind a bus (instead of just zipping past) and so allowed the lorry to get close to me from behind.

In your case, I assume the lady was trying to pass you from behind and then make the turn. Am I right? You were presumably on the left hand side of the road with the right indicator on. The lady was probably trying to beat you to the turn, considering you were moving very slowly. Or else she completely failed to see your indicator. Either way it is her fault, assuming your indicator was on. Once a vehicle signals its intentions to turn to one side via the indicator, one should never ever try to pass the vehicle on that side.

This is a common irritant with bikes in Pune. After passing the Hadapsar flyover (towards Sholapur), I signal right to make a U-turn via a narrow gap in the divider (through which a lot of vehicles try to squeeze through from both sides). As I am making the U-turn through the divider, I am naturally concentrating on my left hand side to let oncoming vehicles pass before cutting into the road. At this juncture, I am frequenly taken aback by bike morons cutting to my right and making the U-turn just as my car is also turning right, with the right indicator on. Had to brake quite a few times to avoid hitting bikes.

Our people will never ever learn to drive the right way. No point in getting vexed about it. My only advice is: Keep a close watch on your rear-view mirrors and do not slow down unduly. Keep moving as far as possible. Then it is down to your skills to avoid hitting the vehicles in your front. If you move slowly, you are at the mercy of bad drivers who can hit you from behind.
Old 1st June 2008, 15:00   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Do you have any witness for this? If yes, then your case is strong. Otherwise, it will fall in the court of law as you have moved out of the accident spot and lack of evidence. Hence you should have settled the matter on the spot itself. I did the same when my WagonR was rammed by another car. Asked him to foot the whole bill even though I coulod have claimed insurance.
It's Really frustrating when you get hit tho it's no fault of yours. I too agree that you should take this matter up with the lady -> do you have contact numbers of witnesses or are they familiar people, that might help too. Be extremely firm but try not coming to blows. This is India and people are crazy, the lady's family may come out blaming you so be prepared to pursue legally and that you should definitely do if they don't cough up some money. 60K is no joke.
Old 1st June 2008, 17:09   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Ford A.S.S. is just trying to maximise the money they make. From the picture, that front door looks perfectly fine (Worse damage on my car have been repaired to good as new). I doubt that the insurance will allow it to be replaced. For you, its better if things get replaced if the insurance pays for it, and the depreciation isn't much (for suspension lower arm, fender, rim, ...).
The door is actually quite deformed and has bent inwards near the hinges--it's not quite apparent in the picture. I'd prefer to have it replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
There were many people there. However, it's very unlikely that anyone will be willing to stand witness and waste their time.

I probably should've asked them to foot the entire bill--but they probably wouldn't have agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
In your case, I assume the lady was trying to pass you from behind and then make the turn. Am I right? You were presumably on the left hand side of the road with the right indicator on. The lady was probably trying to beat you to the turn, considering you were moving very slowly. Or else she completely failed to see your indicator. Either way it is her fault, assuming your indicator was on. Once a vehicle signals its intentions to turn to one side via the indicator, one should never ever try to pass the vehicle on that side.
That's not how it happened. I'd slowed-down at this particular location where the road from a few societies in our area joins with the main road--this is road where my vehicle is located in the picture. I probably was below 10 KMPH speed, when a silver Swift turned the corner from my right side at a very high speed--this is the road at the bottom-right of the picture. She was turning left from the main road at a very high speed.
Old 1st June 2008, 17:38   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hey Carzy, I think you meant to answer to Internetuser, right? and certainly not me.

Last edited by snaronikar : 1st June 2008 at 17:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks