Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2008, 20:32   #1
Team-BHP Support

Of breakdowns and midnight repairs

Time 10:30pm, Location noida:
The indica is puttering along nicely when the gearshift starts feeling funny. Soon I realize the car is stuck in 4th gear.
Well its late night, and I can park just 2kms away at office, I decide to carry on in 4th since traffic is light and just once I will have to do clutch burning histronics.
Go ahead and after some time The gearshift gives a violent jerk, breaks the console at the bottom, and also the tray below the stereo. Luckily my hands are not on the shift.
Simultaneously somebody tells me that car is leaving sparks.
I get down and see this
Of breakdowns and midnight repairs-image033.jpg
The gear linkage, has fallen down on the road now.
So I can't even get the car towed, as it may break a lot of things.
As we sit there twiddling my thumbs and cursing Tata, my wife suggests we call the mechanic, as he leaves from sector 16 late at night sometimes.
I give him a call, and apparently he has gone towards anand Vihar for some work, but will come after 40 minutes or so,
Around 11:15 he comes with the guy he works with, and inspects the damage.
New gear shift assembly needed, no other way.
I ask him to fix the car into second gear, remove the old assembly. This way I can park at office,and next day get it done, but he says to try the spare parts shop(hemkunt) in sector 16.
As luck would have it, the shop is open.
So we go there, get the linkage(950rs), and the work starts
As luck would have it, Tata has changed the design, and this new design can't be fitted.
So three hours on the roadside the work goes on. Little bit jugaad also has to be done. This job is normally a 2 hours job, but the newer gear shift assembly is so designed that such sudden breakdowns do not happen.
Hopefully, it will last 2 more months.
Hopefully the car lasts 2 more months

Labor charge 450rs

Of breakdowns and midnight repairs-image034.jpg

Of breakdowns and midnight repairs-image035.jpg

Of breakdowns and midnight repairs-image036.jpg

Of breakdowns and midnight repairs-image037.jpg

Next job, Clutch plate and release bearing and pressure plate change.
Meanwhile just for kicks, I just call up and ask sterling about availablility of The gearshift assembly(old type).
Not available and only on order. Which means in TASS world, I would have been without a car atleast for couple of days
Old 17th June 2008, 20:40   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Great - it happens because the gearshifter has a stabilizing rod that keeps hitting the transmission casing and there have been numerous instances where this "contraption" has been corrected by heating and bending.

It happened in my Maruti 800. Wifey came and told me "gears are loose" but she was merrily driving. best part is that the exhaust pipe is below the shifter so the damn thing just goes and sits on the exhaust pipe while you merrily drive along. I replaced the rubber at home. Total expense 235 rupees (only parts).

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 17th June 2008, 20:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

In one of similar breakdown with my friend the gear of Maruti 800 got stuck in reverse and he drove all the way from Atta market to sector 36 in reverse, it was around 11:00 PM then.
Old 17th June 2008, 20:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer I think its time you get rid of the Indica and go for the MHawk or the Dicor. I think even your Indica wants you to do the same.
Old 17th June 2008, 21:02   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Great - it happens because the gearshifter has a stabilizing rod that keeps hitting the transmission casing and there have been numerous instances where this "contraption" has been corrected by heating and bending.

It happened in my Maruti 800. Wifey came and told me "gears are loose" but she was merrily driving. best part is that the exhaust pipe is below the shifter so the damn thing just goes and sits on the exhaust pipe while you merrily drive along. I replaced the rubber at home. Total expense 235 rupees (only parts).

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
In the indica it fell to the road, and got destroyed(badly bent). Had to replace entire gearshift assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
In one of similar breakdown with my friend the gear of Maruti 800 got stuck in reverse and he drove all the way from Atta market to sector 36 in reverse, it was around 11:00 PM then.
I remember a rally driver driving a stage in reverse when his gypsy's front gears went kaput. You related?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Tanveer I think its time you get rid of the Indica and go for the MHawk or the Dicor. I think even your Indica wants you to do the same.
Think so she is getting jealous and punishing me. Don't worry I will pamper her with a new clutch
Old 17th June 2008, 23:13   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Don't worry I will pamper her with a new clutch
And with a night vision camera on cell phone (if there's any) for next adventure.
Old 17th June 2008, 23:27   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
And with a night vision camera on cell phone (if there's any) for next adventure.
I sincerely hope there are no such adventures!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks