Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2008, 08:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Bonnet Pops Open!!

Hi folks!! I decide to have an early morning drink, and my friend too is game. He comes home at about 2:30 AM, and we drive out. He is a *VERY* safe driver and was doing 50- 60 all the time. Just when we reached Guindy flyover (Chennai), he decide to push it a bit - his 1.5 yrs old M800 - and guess what, his Bonnet pops open!! This fella is not known to handle shocks like that and was stunned for a lot more than a second until I make him drive off and stop.

Both the bolts that hold the lock of the hood on the body are missing, and it was a miracle combined with his slow driving that we did not break a glass and stopped unhurt.

We got a couple of size 10 bolts for a puncture shop close by and fixed the hood. It was a bit bent, and the body between the front glass and the hood was damaged, but it was not the worst that could have happened.

His car went in for service less than a month ago, and knowing him, it doesn't make sense that 2 size 10 bolts would us like that fall off in 3 weeks. The fella was shaken until I stirred him with some alcy at the airport (and we happened to bump into a RR Phantom too)!!

So team, is this a normal experience - a bonnet popping up on you just like that???!
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2008, 08:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

its not common for the bonnet just popping up

i to have experience it

i was about 5-6years old and we were coming back from Amritsar suddenly the hood just popped and i was so scared that i didn't sat in the car for a month btw the car was a fiat
Old 20th July 2008, 09:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

This thing happened on my friends 2003 model safari and there was a big crack on windscreen and not to mention bonnet got twisted.
I have also seen this happening with a qualis on NH1 that was going at three digit speeds
Old 21st July 2008, 13:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
So team, is this a normal experience - a bonnet popping up on you just like that???!
This is not normal. I have never experienced this in all the car I have travelled.
Old 21st July 2008, 17:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

I heard the hood was replaced some 3 months back - guess the @#$%! did not fix the lock on to the hood properly. This could have been a worser experience - Thank God. WIsh I can sue those service station people, but...!
Old 21st July 2008, 18:10   #6
BHPian

My friend experienced the same in his 4 yr old indica when he was doing 80-90 kmph. front windsheild was broken badly but he did managed to stop safely.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks