Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2008, 12:43   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Wish people had some sense in them to not use high-beams.

Last night, 10:45 pm, South End Circle. There is a diagonal road from Jayanagar towards Basavanagudi. Near the signal, people coming from Jayanagar side, occupy half the right-sde so that they are able to get a quick getaway towards RV rd as soon as the lights change.

And so is one auto guy with his engine off (& so lights off). A Verna is also waiting to the left & behind this auto, with his high-beam off. Coming from Basavanagudi side towards Jayanagar, I am waiting for our turn, opp to these guys, - and the Verna's high beams blind me. Lights turn green, and I set off towards Jayanagar. Cant see much - keep driving. Switched to high-beam, trying to signal the Verna guy abt his head lights. Providentially, the Verna switches off his lights at the same time - to reveal the auto guy right in front of me. Hate to think what could have happened.
Old 20th July 2008, 12:49   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
and the police makes this judgement based on their own opinion of an oncoming vehicle or is there a scientific way. Am sure all vehicles with more GC will be considered at highbeam since it will hit the eyes directly, even at low beams.
So what should people in vehicles with high GC (typically UVs) do.

I drive a Wagon R and sometimes end up in front of idiots who drive their Scorpios and Safaris with fog lights and hi beam on.

Dont know how I should drive one without disturbing other in sedans.
So dont know what to tell them either.
Old 20th July 2008, 14:44   #18
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

good work by the police. though Rs.100 looks small amount, if they get caught 10 times (10X100=1000), people will slowly fall in line.
Old 20th July 2008, 16:04   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Have you witnessed this by any chance?
No I've not witnessed it, but I've had a cop (who I approached for help with auto drivers refusing to go on hire) tell me that he was helpless and did not want to take on these guys. In that conversation he also said that the cops generally avoid cabs and autos as they are a pretty unruly lot to handle.
Old 20th July 2008, 17:51   #20
BHPian

good initiative and desperately needed;looks like some people not aware of something called a dipper and that it needed to be used when there is an oncoming vehicle.
Old 20th July 2008, 20:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

The half black headlight was the best thing to do, which was followed decades back, so no matter if you are on high or low, you dont blind the others opposite to you.

The OEM fog lamps are the best bet for Safari and scorpio's with parking lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
So what should people in vehicles with high GC (typically UVs) do.

I drive a Wagon R and sometimes end up in front of idiots who drive their Scorpios and Safaris with fog lights and hi beam on.

Dont know how I should drive one without disturbing other in sedans.
So dont know what to tell them either.
Old 20th July 2008, 20:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
The half black headlight was the best thing to do, which was followed decades back, so no matter if you are on high or low, you dont blind the others opposite to you.

The OEM fog lamps are the best bet for Safari and scorpio's with parking lights.
dadu that half black headlight was a good initiative and hardly anyone uses it. I have a black sticker covered slightly less than half to match it and its always better to use that as it does not blind the opposite vehicle driver.
Old 20th July 2008, 21:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

This is wrong. Suppose someone comes up with 100W bulbs and then how will our "Smart " and " Intelligent " police come to know if its high or low beam ?

Who are they to decide what beams we must drive on ? If a car coming from opposite direction has high beam ON and this is too much for me, I will surely switch on my high beam and then switch to low and do this activity 2-3 times. If he doesnt agree, my visibility decreases, so I will surely switch on my high beams.

What we need is technology where a device can detect on coming vehicles and automatically switch to low beam. What we also need is better attitude and discipline. This move is like fining some one who is driving irresponsibly .

OK, before this where are directional headlamps ?
Why cant we have properly lit roads, one on which we can drive with just our parking lights ON ?
Old 20th July 2008, 22:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

Can we be less cynic when something good is tried by the lawkmakers? Their intention may be(just may be) to meet that month end goal or whatever but we never know for sure, right ? Sorry for being sound kind of harsh but we sometime become too prejudiced and too quick to pass on our judgement when it's about the (traffic)police. I did had my bitter share of experience with few of them but that doesn't give me the right to suspect anything they do. There may be good intentions also.
But anyway one thing for sure that now with this drive on people will atleast be little careful(atleast 60-70%) to use the low-beam inside the city.Many people actually doesn't know that it's a rule and now they'll know for sure.
Old 20th July 2008, 22:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

Its not only high beams but cars with more than 65/50 which I think is the legal limit. Even with low beams they are too powerful. Having to suffer with all these high beams I've almost been seduced by the dark side.. (pun intended !!)

Anyways being the cynical self, this would die out in sometime... and one road is not enuf. You got to do it all over Bangalore...
Old 20th July 2008, 23:09   #26
BHPian

I guess action from Police is not limited to high beams.

on Saturday night, at HAL signal there was huge camping of police men with barricades, for drunken driving checks.

I was hesitant to let the police man check my breath with his nose. I told him my name(Bangaloreans will understand... their nose almost touch your mouth, peep inside the car and ask "hesarenu" ?)
My wife, daughter and brother were in car too, and he wanted to smell me real hard, and politely told him that I am not drunk, and it was almost 12 hours that I brushed my teeth in morning, and didn't wanted to trouble him. . If he wanted, he can check !!!
Seeing that my wife and daughter are in back seat, and that I am talking normally, he smiled and let me go

They introduced some cones as lane separators at Manipal signal towards HAL, and at ISRO signal(MurgeshPalya) again towards HAL.
I agree first day it caused huge traffic jam, that I wanted to stop there and tell them it sucks.
But later they improved the spacing. (First day the straight lane was 1/3 of road, while space for u turn vehicles was 2/3, which is kind of weird)
Old 20th July 2008, 23:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
I guess action from Police is not limited to high beams.

on Saturday night, at HAL signal there was huge camping of police men with barricades, for drunken driving checks.

Ran into them there too. They didnt stop us.

However, I'd like to see them do their checks TONITE.
Old 21st July 2008, 00:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

The checks near the HAL airport is there almost every week. Especially friday and saturday nights. I bump into them if I'm coming home late from office on Friday or elsewhere. They are actually very decent and if they see a family (kid should be present) then they don't bother, otherwise its the same bag of tricks, which is actually quite sad...
Old 21st July 2008, 01:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thats a Great Thing to do.
Was driving back from a friends birthday tonight and on a two lane road ( without any divider) this Scorpio guy was using Powerful white light ( Probably Xenons ) on high beam and i almost hit him. Damn they were so powerful and frankly speaking, they were not necessary at all.

@ Delhi Police : Time To Learn a Lesson.!
Old 21st July 2008, 05:39   #30
BHPian

I Am a happy man now, I thought it was a one off event and they totally made it up when I was stopped in Cochin in my amby for driving with my High beam on , i didn't complain ,I just paid them the 100 bucks and went off it was driving with a 100/130 light and i had no Registration certificates in the cars.

My Headlight were in Lowbeam .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks