Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2008, 21:58   #1
BHPian

Traffic Lights go haywire in Kolkata

As I was returning from a friends place in the afternoon this is what I saw today at a busy junction at Kolkata. The traffic lights at AJC Bose Road Flyover approach crossing at Beckbagan are apparantly malfuncting while the cops manning the signal/crossing are blissfully unaware of the major safety hazard about to occur. To my surprise I got off my car and actually waited there for sometime to see if the problem was momentary or not. As a matter of fact I travel 5 days a week to and fro that route. Luckily I had my cam along with me hence I got a video grab of this calaousness by the authorities. In the video I have zoomed to all the different lights which are simultaneously malfunctioning while the cip manning the signal control station is dozing off to glory. This was happening no more than 1 km distance from the Traffic Guard Station in Park Circus, Kolkata.

sabret00the is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2008, 01:20   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Similar situation in Mumbai.
Half the lights work, some don't. The red lights on many signals don't function.
Old 20th August 2008, 11:40   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Similar situation in Mumbai.
Half the lights work, some don't. The red lights on many signals don't function.

This was the 1st time I saw something like that...I was in
Old 20th August 2008, 11:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good catch. Eventhough I am not surprised with this, the only thing I am worried is about the safety of the citizens. Already there are numerous issues for the drivers like lack of good roads, autos, etc etc., this adds some more issues. Too bad.
Old 17th February 2018, 12:09   #5
BHPian

Re: Traffic Lights go haywire in Kolkata

Reviving this thread after a long time.

I am going to describe what happens at the traffic light at the junction under the Ultadanga flyover. Another description is, if one is travelling from Mani Square towards HUDCO more, one has to take the exit just next to the Ultadanga flyover, after about half a km, the road bends right after which is a traffic light. People driving from Punjab National Bank side have to go to HUDCO more.

I have to cross this junction 4 times a day. I shall mention below typically what happens

Case 1
When I am driving from Mani Square to Punjab Bank, Sector 1, I have to stop at the traffic light to take a right turn. Once the right turn signal turns green, I start to execute my turn only to discover in horror that the traffic from my right starts moving towards me (the traffic moving from Punjab National Bank towards HUDCO More). At times I have had to stop in the middle of the junction with horns blasting from all directions. Atleast this is very slow moving traffic.

Case 2
When I come from the Punjab National Bank side, I have to take a right and an immediate left to go towards my house. When my signal turns green as I proceed I get shivers down my spine as I see buses and cars barreling down full speed on my left (this is the traffic coming down from Mani Square towards HUDCO More).

Even though I am yet to hear of an accident happening here, but I am sure it is just a matter of time when something disastrous shall take place. By the way, I am no novice driver, having been behind the wheel for the last 33 years.

Couple of days ago, I dropped a mail to the traffic police at Ultadanga marking copies to all higher ups. Yesterday I got a call from an Inspector, stating that my mail has been received. He was very kind on the phone I must admit. I assured me that by Tuesday the problem shall be rectified. He asked me to observe, in case of improvement and reply back to them with my comments.

Tuesday seems a long way, but still, I hope this is looked into

Please pardon the quality of the sketch, I am really bad at it.
Traffic Lights go haywire in Kolkata-under-ultadanga-flyover.jpg
ALTIMAed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks