Team-BHP - Learner's License Of Other State Valid permit to drive in BLR?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Learner's License Of Other State Valid permit to drive in BLR? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/44782-learners-license-other-state-valid-permit-drive-blr.html)

Mods: Can you kindly merge it with the appropriate thread, if any ? Couldn't find it though

Hi

Quick question from my friend. He has a Learner's license from other state. Will he be eligible to drive in Bangalore ? Will he be breaking the law.

Its known that Driver's license issued anywhere in India makes your eligible to drive anywhere in India, but what about LL?

Your thoughtful replies are eagerly awaited.

Learner's licence is specific to a city and is not even valid within the other cities in that State also. it is only the permanent Driver's licence that is valid throughout India.

Well, that was the law when I with my Learner's licence issued from the Varanasti RTO came to Delhi in 1977 and applied for a permanent licence. I was told to get a permanent licence from Varanasi itself, and in the the process was informed that I could not even get a permanent licence from Ghaziabad as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lambuhere1 (Post 954796)
Hi

Quick question from my friend. He has a Learner's license from other state. Will he be eligible to drive in Bangalore ? Will he be breaking the law.

Its known that Driver's license issued anywhere in India makes your eligible to drive anywhere in India, but what about LL?

Your thoughtful replies are eagerly awaited.

GD

Thanks for your information.

But when I was going through the rto link of Karnataka

Organisation Chart

9. Currency of learner’s licence:
- Learner’s licence is valid for the period of six months.
- This licence is valid throughout India.

Is this still applicable ? Can anyone be kind enough to confirm ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lambuhere1 (Post 954889)
GD

Thanks for your information.

But when I was going through the rto link of Karnataka

Organisation Chart

9. Currency of learner’s licence:

Is this still applicable ? Can anyone be kind enough to confirm ?

Learners license is valid throughout India. But permanent license is to be got from the same place otherwise you need to apply Learners license again.

Aka,

Thanks for the information. Will convey the same to my friend.

Like already posted, Learner's license is valid all over India, but you must have a valid license holder with you all the time when you are behind the wheels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ph03n!x (Post 955141)
Like already posted, Learner's license is valid all over India, but you must have a valid license holder with you all the time when you are behind the wheels.

Does this apply for two wheelers also ?

I know that it applies for 4 wheelers ? But two wheelies ... Thats a Question mark for me. I am dumbfounded when asked :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lambuhere1 (Post 955158)
Does this apply for two wheelers also ?

I know that it applies for 4 wheelers ? But two wheelies ... Thats a Question mark for me. I am dumbfounded when asked :eek:

Yes. Irrespective of the number of wheels you should have a valid license holder with you :)

Yes...it applies to all type of LL's (be it 2 wheeler or 4 wheeler) you get from RTOs.

Bingo,

Then it appears that my friend needs to have his buddy with him always. Good News. Else he may have to pay the penalty, isnt it

Yes. Pay fine. but how much? Well, depends on what mood the cop is :) But, minimum should be 100 I guess.

Just saw my friends LL. It appears that the permanent residence is one state and temporary another state. Will that be an issue if he needs to get DL. He has all the documents of permanent state.

Why is it that I always get to see such surprises I dont understand

Waiting for your replies

Thank you all for the update. I wasn't aware of this. This must have been introduced later. Makes sense though. What intrigues me is that if the LL is valid throughout India, then what is the hitch in getting a permanent licence from anywhere as long as one completes the documentation formality of that region?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lambuhere1 (Post 954889)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aka_iitd (Post 955025)
Learners license is valid throughout India. But permanent license is to be got from the same place otherwise you need to apply Learners license again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ph03n!x (Post 955141)
Like already posted, Learner's license is valid all over India,

Quote:

Originally Posted by gd1418 (Post 955807)
Thank you all for the update. I wasn't aware of this. This must have been introduced later. Makes sense though. What intrigues me is that if the LL is valid throughout India, then what is the hitch in getting a permanent licence from anywhere as long as one completes the documentation formality of that region?

Whoever told you that rules are to facilitate simple life? That is the way it is buddy. LL is valid all over India, no matter where you get it. But you have to go back to the same RTO for your permanent license.

AFAIK, you cannot get a LL from one RTO and go for your permanent license to another RTO in the same city.

Cheers,

Rajan

Learner's license is NOT for driving! It is for learning.

For that:

1) A person with a valid DL should accompany the learner in the vehicle.
2) Only allowed during daytime. (Upto 6 PM I guess)