Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2019, 11:42   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Oncoming vehicle jumps median - can you do ANYTHING?

Was thinking about starting a thread on this topic but this thread already exists. I read a lot of about these types of accidents and there was article in the newspaper yesterday about a vehicle jumping the divider and ramming an oncoming vehicle. I shudder to think in such situations where one is driving at normal speed and still ends up in a collision for no fault of theirs. This can happen on city roads as well.

I am usually alert about such types on events happening and do the below especially while driving over divided bridges/flyovers.

1. While climbing up I try to remain on the left/center side of the bridge. While we are ascending the vehicles from the opposite direction are descending and their momentum is far greater than ours since they are going downhill so increasing the risk of jump in case of driver error.

2. It's always best to slow down while approaching divided bridges/flyovers since slower speed would mean there is an better chance of avoiding collisions.

3. I also avoid the right side of the road which has been divided using trees and plantations, these while at night help reduce glare prevent you from seeing if anything is coming from the wrong side.

Apart from the above points I can't think of anything else to prevent a jump collision except luck. There was an incident on SV road a year or two back where an Harley Davidson jumped a regular divided road ( no bridge etc) and into a oncoming Maruti Baleno. The Harley made itself home into the driver's side windshield and the driver was injured it seems. I remember seeing the bent steering of the Baleno. It was just bad luck. In such cases only God can save us.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st July 2019 at 11:53. Reason: Typo
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2022, 22:04   #47
BHPian

Re: Oncoming vehicle jumps median - can you do ANYTHING?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post

I find that most drivers think that the left side on a divided highway is unsafe. This thinking / perception needs to be changed. Can Team-BHP guys help spread this message as much as possible?
Driving in the left lane is indeed unsafe-especially at night. There are trucks, sugarcane trolleys without lights parked in the left lane at night resulting in hundreds of underride related deaths every month in India. Middle lane is a better option if there are 3 lanes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks